2012 Wireless Webcam discussion - What are you using now? Santa needs help

Mbc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Santa is looking to gift a wireless webcam setup to the loved one to view his tanks via galaxy III. I have reviewed the Foscam ones - I am hoping for night vision, tilt and zoom. I would love a battery operated one if possible and will eventually expand network to add outside security cams. Any and all suggestions are welcome. From what I have read on other posts is a third party app will be best and necessary if uses with the phone.
Thanks in advance for all your input.

I am looking for "dream setups" as well as pointers and suggestions.

Last edited:

reefaddictionrx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey MBC,
I've had pretty good luck with the Foscam FI8918. It was an easy set up, and have been very reliable My first one was black and was mounted just for the DT. I've had it four 3-4 years without a problem. I have one back in the refugium now too. And four other ones around the house. They make outdoor ones too that are wireless...but still need to be close to an outlet. THe night vision works well. Can see fish/water flow at night. I do use a third party app, that allows me to use an improved multi view mode.

Foscam does have an HD mode (720p) cam out now that I'd like to try on the DT side - But I'm not as fond of the shell design of that model.
Let me know if you have other questions...

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have Foscam set up. it's great to have it. I view my tank daily when the lights turn on around 2pm. gives me peace of mind seeing the tank live, esp when on vacation. :)

kevinf

lalalala
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Foscam FI9820W (Black) 720p Megapixel H.264 Wireless N IP Camera.
It works well. Some things I do not like about it so far. It's a PITA to get to work on some browsers. I would also like it to load on a webpage where people wouldn't have to put a USER name & PW. I found someone that made a script, but the frame rate is terrible. I actually have it off today because I want to mount it on the wall across the room.
The picture is very clear & nice. I'll get my camera back up today and post a link later

Foscam FI9820W Wireless IP Camera

Last edited:

Fieroguy19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using a foscam as well for about a year. It is nice for checking up on the tank for lighting/flow. I think the night vision works well too. I think I finally figured out how to set it up as a static IP so I don't have to reset everything when I was using dynamic IP. I use IPcam viewer on android to view from my phone with no problems.

kevinf

lalalala
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using a foscam as well for about a year. It is nice for checking up on the tank for lighting/flow. I think the night vision works well too. I think I finally figured out how to set it up as a static IP so I don't have to reset everything when I was using dynamic IP. I use IPcam viewer on android to view from my phone with no problems.

thanks for the app name. I shall try it!

edit: App is AWESOME! Thanks!!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mbc

Mbc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

kevinf

lalalala
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay, my wife plugged the camera in for me while I'm at work.
Obviously, the camera is not in the right spot right now.. it's just laying on something currently... but just to get an idea

Also, I just transfered everything over from my 50g to the 75g the other week.. so everything is just kinda placed wherever

http://fish.is-lost.org:1024
user: user
pw: user

FI9820W (Black) 720p Megapixel H.264 Wireless N IP Camera

(I see someone is using it, lol)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mbc

Mbc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay, my wife plugged the camera in for me while I'm at work.
Obviously, the camera is not in the right spot right now.. it's just laying on something currently... but just to get an idea

FI9820W (Black) 720p Megapixel H.264 Wireless N IP Camera

kevin - thanks for the view! Is the camera postioned straight on?

kevinf

lalalala
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kevin - thanks for the view! Is the camera postioned straight on?

What do you mean by straight on? It's currently about 5ft or so away.. resting on a pillow. I'm surprised my new midas blenny is not out and about

Last edited:

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kevinf, thanks for letting us see a live view of your tank.

This is all I needed to see. I will be placing my order for a Foscam.

Everytime I go on christmas vacation to visit my parents, I always experience a mini tank crash.

kevinf

lalalala
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kevinf, thanks for letting us see a live view of your tank.

This is all I needed to see. I will be placing my order for a Foscam.

Everytime I go on christmas vacation to visit my parents, I always experience a mini tank crash.

np! Theirs also an option instead of "user" it's "guest". Guest cannot operate camera controls. Interesting when I'm home and I can see the camera panning towards ME, lol.

It does have audio & you can actually talk into it to be heard. I have yet to test this out, I currently have the option off.

Edit: I just turned on sound. You'll only be able to hear it in IE. Not much to hear.. probably be able to hear my dog bark occasionally, hah.

Edit to the Edit: okay, the sound option is pretty creepy. I'm able to talk into my phone & it comes right out of the mic on the camera.. so that is definitely an option I will turn off because ANYONE can do that logged in as "user" i believe hah

Last edited:

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kevin,
Thanks for sharing! this is exactly what I needed to see at well. I can't believe you can control it like that!

Does it work just as well on your phone in terms of picture quality and controllability?

kevinf

lalalala
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kevin,
Thanks for sharing! this is exactly what I needed to see at well. I can't believe you can control it like that!

Does it work just as well on your phone in terms of picture quality and controllability?

I just found out about the IPcam viewer Application that Fieroguy19 spoke of above. (I paid $3.99? for the full version)
I have the Samsung Galaxy III with verizon. Picture quality is the same as it would be on the computer. You can control everything like you would on the computer. The only thing you can't control is the setup configuration.(user name & pw changing and things like that)

Last edited:

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found out about the IPcam viewer Application that Fieroguy19 spoke of above. (I paid $3.99? for the full version)
I have the Samsung Galaxy III with verizon. Picture quality is the same as it would be on the computer. You can control everything like you would on the computer. The only thing you can't control is the setup configuration.(user name & pw changing and things like that)

That is awesome! I am getting this for sure!

kevinf

lalalala
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay, the camera is now mounted on the wall. It's pretty far back, so the quality is not as clear because of the distance & lighting. (the radion's are still ramping up.. still in the blue stage)

Last edited:

.Marshall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is flippin' awesome, I will be picking a 9820 up soon. Has anyone mounted one on their ceiling? How tough would that be?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back