White spots on fins?

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a copperband butterfly that's been in qt for 4 weeks now. It developed white spots on its fins. I've scraped them off with my finger. I freshwater dipped before I added it. Treated it with copper for 3 weeks, para shield, freshwater dip, then a week of instant ocean lifeguard. It's now in saltwater with no medication. It's eating live brine and black worms vigorously. A little frozen. I'm thinking it's not ich. Any ideas?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398289518.304193.jpg

ecordova14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it is ich. I had a few fish in my time that got this. I believe it is a salt deposit, well that's what the people who were cleaning my tank told me before. The fish that had them had the (so called deposit) fall off in a few days. Just keep an eye that they don't get more. Hope that helps a bit.

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sounds like lympho...

did a quick search for you and found similar situation and pics for you - Lymphocystis Virus noticed in Quarantine - Help - Reef Central Online Community

is there a reason you are using each of those medications? are you treating prophylactically? it seems you are overlapping on some medications and treating for bacterial infections that did not exist or was the fish symptomatic?

awesome job working to quarantine your fish and have a well-eating copperband - terrific work!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Singlefin

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. A guy on RC said it might be lympho also. After research, that's what I was thinking. I had a flame fairy wrasse that looked like it was just starting w ich so I qt them and copper treated. When they were done, I picked up this copperband. The qt was already running so I treated the copperband. After 2 weeks of copper, I noticed the white spots. I went another week of copper without any changes to the white spots so I switched to lifeguard to see if it would help. After 4 weeks now I'm wondering what's going on. I tried researching white spots on fins and only came up with ich. Wasn't till the guy on RC and you said lympho that I found it online and it looks pretty close. Thanks for the help.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back