Kole Tang Died from???

DVeit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a yellow eyed kole for 4 months and its just passed away a few days ago. I qt'd it for 8 weeks, during the 3rd week in QT it developed ICH. I was able to treat with copper and got rid of it within a couple days. I also treated him with PraziPro while in QT. After 8 weeks in QT and he was as happy as could be, I added him to my DT (4' 75g). He was in there with two small clowns (paired), and a fire fish. He was healthy as could be and a VERY good tank mate, did an awesome job keeping everything clean. Well about a month ago I added a Coral Beauty. When I first added it, the Kole tang chased him around like crazy and wanted to kill him, he was ramming him into the rock work and sandbed, and literally pinning him down at times. This lasted about 2 days then everything seemed great. They never bothered eachother any more after that. Now 3 weeks later all of a sudden the tang developed ICH again and lost all its color, it was almost white. I left it alone, afraid movinhim wold make it worse. And the next day, the ich was gone. He was still pale in color but no ich and he started eating again. About 4 days later he got the ich back again but was still eating, and about 3 days later finally passed away. Anyone have any clue what could have caused this? Was it stress possibly from adding the coral beauty?

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral beauty would be my guess. Did you QT the coral beauty? After the lengthy QT of the tang, I hope so. Did you QT the tang from the get go or after adding to the DT? Remember now, your DT has ich in it. This won't be eradicated unless you let the tank go fallow for minimum 8 weeks, possibly longer. If you choose the fallow route, QT all your current fish and treat with copper, as you already seem to have that method down.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...wanted to kill him, he was ramming him into the rock work and sandbed, and literally pinning him down at times.
This is where social acclimation can be so crucial... this would've been much less violent or potentially non existent.

Aside from that, did you run copper for long enough per directions? This is crucial to disrupt ich life cycle.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the tang succumbed to ich (or possibly velvet). You have to treat with copper (at therapeutic levels) for 30 consecutive days to have a reasonable chance of eradication.

OP
OP
D

DVeit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did it per the Cupramine directions. And yes I QT all my fish. Although it appears the clowns and CB are having signs of ich now as well. [emoji21] the problem is I cant catch them!

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suspect that they will be getting ick or velvet. Ick I oly seen on the fish when the parasites are dropping off in the tank to be free living looking for a host. If it's velvet, it's worse. If you can't treat the tank they are in, do your best to feed high quality foods.. Dr g has some new medicated food that is supposed to be good as well.

OP
OP
D

DVeit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good, all other fish are still doing good! Fingers staying crossed. In reply to the last post ebushrow, all I feed is NLS Thera-A about 4 days/week, and LRS Reef Frenzy in between.

Back