Who has a blue spotted Jawfish that isnt tearing their tank apart?

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got this guy a week ago. He moves corals, rocks, zoanthis colonies etc.. to build caves. I have tons of LR but he has decided to use the front right hand corner of my tank and just bring stuff with him.

Everyday there is a new cave. Everyday i have to move things around. While this can be considered cute behavior i dont care to do it daily.

nivram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm.... Lol...I won't say it as much as I want to.

Get some calcium reactor media and dump a handful by it.

OP
OP
AquamanE

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm.... Lol...I won't say it as much as I want to.

Get some calcium reactor media and dump a handful by it.

Yessss Marvin you warned me :frusty:. I just wanted to have one, what can i say.

I love the personality, and colors. Yes i started moving things around and will dump some rubble rock around him. Hopefully it will settle down.

rovster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want one of these. They are so cool to look at, and talk about entertaining. How deep is your sand E? I wonder how they do with only 2" of sand and perhaps a PVC condo which is what I'll have. I know John had one at some point. I'm definitely on the fence about one. I did get to meet nivram's a while back. It was the coolest thing, but boy what a mess!

Last edited:

nivram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are cool. Just require some additional care. Lol. Btw watch your parameters as they are digging around the sand. Although I think your sand bed is not that old.

droblack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful but insane fish. I love them too. They usually chill out after a while, once they find an ideal cave.

rovster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are cool. Just require some additional care. Lol. Btw watch your parameters as they are digging around the sand. Although I think your sand bed is not that old.

My sand bed is still in sealed bags in the garage LOL!

droblack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if it is moving around too much between rock bottoms, a little competition can keep em in place. Other bottom dwellers who can fend off the bluespot might help. After a while everyone should have their own territory.

OP
OP
AquamanE

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want one of these. They are so cool to look at, and talk about entertaining. How deep is your sand E? I wonder how they do with only 2" of sand and perhaps a PVC condo which is what I'll have. I know John had one at some point. I'm definitely on the fence about one. I did get to meet nivram's a while back. It was the coolest thing, but boy what a mess!

My sand bed is 1-2" all around. But between bottom glass and sand i have a starboard layer. He has found nicks and crannies that give him another 1/2 or so (starboard). Well see. I hope it settles down soon. .

rovster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sand bed is 1-2" all around. But between bottom glass and sand i have a starboard layer. He has found nicks and crannies that give him another 1/2 or so (starboard). Well see. I hope it settles down soon. .

Cool, I was always under the impression they needed a DSB or at least 3-4". That makes me getting on that much more likely!

Texas Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my jaw fish is a yellow or gold barred... but he has decided to make his home between some rocks. He has moved the sand, kinda making bunkers, down to the glass between the rocks. Otherwise, I probably don't have 3 inches of sand anywhere. He seems pretty happy. Coming out only when I feed the tank mysis in the evening. He pops out and chomps!
3u7ynuzu.jpg
be4y6uqu.jpg

luckily he hasn't moved any big rock work.

Texas Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nivram, I have seen my nitrates go up about 10 ppm since I got my jaw fish a few weeks ago. Been wondering how to bring it back down...

Raptor72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to get one in the next few weeks. I've been building up the sand bed in the nano to meet its needs and I also have a tight fitting screen. Anything else I should be aware of for long term success?

Dendro Dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unl ess you have a 150 gallon or bigger with no small coral on the sand bottom don't even think about this fish zoa gardens are out as they will pull your prized frag plugs into their Caves to fortify the structure, they are quite the little builders. They are stronger than they look & can easily Pick up large plugs in their mouths & carry them wherever they wish. If you have a smaller tank it will stay dusty and cloudy they will never stop digging It's What They do. AlI base rock has to be placed on the glass bottom of the tank or they will cause a rock slide that may even break your tank. Their personality & their color is amazing but they are just so much trouble. I had one in a 29 biocube it caused a rock slide that killed a mystery wrasse in his sleep & yes I found him beneath a large rock & olé blue was still digging around him, his body was untouched by my cu crew so the evidence was all there. Oh & good luck keeping your water chemistry right with them around lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back