Who has a blue spotted Jawfish that isnt tearing their tank apart?

Raptor72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a well established 125 with all the rock on the glass and spots with 3" sand. I've just finished clearing out all frags for a cleaner look. So you would recommend the bigger tank instead then? Anyone else in the same boat?

Texas Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He hasn't touched my zoas yet, but my acan that should be slipped into the hole above his home keeps winding up on the sand. I don't know if its coincidence or not, but I'm going to have to buy some putty.
py7ybygu.jpg

Dendro Dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a well established 125 with all the rock on the glass and spots with 3" sand. I've just finished clearing out all frags for a cleaner look. So you would recommend the bigger tank instead then? Anyone else in the same boat?

Sounds like you're in my opinion a bigger aquarium is definitely better with these guys seems like you're ready don't think, I'm knocking them blue spots are my favorite fish ever so much character for such a small fish and absolutely beautiful in the right tank. Sometimes you'll swear they're smiling at you & the way they open their mouths to display when threatened hilarious. They also have this move will adjust quickly look behind them and then look back forward again its just funny as hell, It really hurt my feelings to get rid of mine but I just had to. Have fun with him Raptor just be sure to watch your water parameters when you first put him in because he's gonna churn sand almost constantly. When they decide to move locations usually theyre going to do it at night so after lights out that's when a lot of the construction & demolition happens lol.

AL1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I'm glad I read this thread, I was thinking of adding one to my 120...scratch that one off the list!

Raptor72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it would be as bad as a regular sandsifter, at least from the ones I have seen at several LFS over the years. I've had sandsifters who leave the tank cloudy and are always making a new mound every day. I've had my eye on this fish from the begining and have to give it a try. A blotched anthias will be next on the bucket list.

Dendro Dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A jawfish can move more sand more quickly than any sandsifter in the aquarium trade it's not necessarily the amount of saying that they can grab but the way they say forcefully spit it out and how fast a grab another mouthful I'm adding a video of a pearly job fish but blue spots or even bigger https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF8BgfGDDHw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Dendro Dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There not really aggressive at all if anything gets near there barrel building open their mouths wide and display if it's something slow moving like a crab or star they will simply pick it up and move it someplace else its really funny to watch hermits afterward is there like what the heck just happened lol

AL1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thread is kinda old but anyhow, just got a blue jaw last weekend, acclimated and put him in..everything looked normal, immediately started digging his spot switched to another spot a day later then day 3 barely visible day 5 found dead!?!? Water parameters stable not sure what could've happened to the little guy, but wow I'm bummed out. Can anyone tell me what may have caused this?

gpdno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thread is kinda old but anyhow, just got a blue jaw last weekend, acclimated and put him in..everything looked normal, immediately started digging his spot switched to another spot a day later then day 3 barely visible day 5 found dead!?!? Water parameters stable not sure what could've happened to the little guy, but wow I'm bummed out. Can anyone tell me what may have caused this?

Blue spotted jawfish need a cooler tank temperature (75f) then the more common pearly(yellow head) jawfish. All jawfish dig and should have deep sand with a great deal of rubble. Constantly moving, relocating, and burrowing is a sign that they are scared and uncomfortable. We then are first introduced the will hide or dig a quick emergency burrow. If the tank environment is suitable, after a day or so, they will begin to construct a permanent burrow. Barring any sudden disturbances, they will be happy with that location and stay put. They will, however, remodeled from time to time.

They are certainty one of the more personable fish out on the market and true building engineers. It really is amazing to watch them construct a proper burrow if they are given the right requirements.

I have four in a 150 gal DT with a 6" DSB

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402353207.907324.jpg

AL1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue spotted jawfish need a cooler tank temperature (75f) then the more common pearly(yellow head) jawfish. All jawfish dig and should have deep sand with a great deal of rubble. Constantly moving, relocating, and burrowing is a sign that they are scared and uncomfortable. We then are first introduced the will hide or dig a quick emergency burrow. If the tank environment is suitable, after a day or so, they will begin to construct a permanent burrow. Barring any sudden disturbances, they will be happy with that location and stay put. They will, however, remodeled from time to time.

They are certainty one of the more personable fish out on the market and true building engineers. It really is amazing to watch them construct a proper burrow if they are given the right requirements.

I have four in a 150 gal DT with a 6" DSB

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402353207.907324.jpg

Wow man thanks for the info! I had no idea regarding the temp requirements and that can very well be the reason why, I run my tank a bit hot at 79-80. Will keep that in mind if I decided to try it again, more than likely will..such a cool fish is hard to resist. Thanks again!

OP
OP
AquamanE

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unl ess you have a 150 gallon or bigger with no small coral on the sand bottom don't even think about this fish zoa gardens are out as they will pull your prized frag plugs into their Caves to fortify the structure, they are quite the little builders. They are stronger than they look & can easily Pick up large plugs in their mouths & carry them wherever they wish. If you have a smaller tank it will stay dusty and cloudy they will never stop digging It's What They do. AlI base rock has to be placed on the glass bottom of the tank or they will cause a rock slide that may even break your tank. Their personality & their color is amazing but they are just so much trouble. I had one in a 29 biocube it caused a rock slide that killed a mystery wrasse in his sleep & yes I found him beneath a large rock & olé blue was still digging around him, his body was untouched by my cu crew so the evidence was all there. Oh & good luck keeping your water chemistry right with them around lol

Mine eventually settled down and became a model citizen after a few weeks. Yes I had to blow sand he put on my corals almost daily but I didnt mind. Then he just disappeared from one day to the next. Dont know what happened. Will I get another one?, prob not.

kuansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He will grab your expensive zoa/chalice frags like those $200 per polyp and bury them in sand. Very adorable

gpdno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He will grab your expensive zoa/chalice frags like those $200 per polyp and bury them in sand. Very adorable

Mine have never bother and of my corals. They will on occasion grab a shell only to see it walk away. Hermit crabs don't seem to alway stay in place. It can be quite funny at times, watching them grab a shell, place it in position, watch the shell get up and move, jawfish grabs the shell again, puts it in place, walks away, over and over again until the fish finally gives up ;)

AL1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just lost mine to a killer hippo tang...not sure what caused the extreme aggression but hippo literally tore its tail to shreds. :( it's a sad day in the reef, hippo was taken away to prison not fit for life in a community and a death

novahobbies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread, but I thought I'd chime in here...my BSJ also made a mess of things for the first week after he was introduced into the QT, but like Aquaman's....he settled down a lot once he found a good spot to call home. Thankfully his hole is right up in the front corner, so I have a good view of him. These aren't fish you'll see out and about, though. The only time he ever comes more than halfway out of his burrow is feeding-time. I definitely think that a 4-6 week period in a sand bottom QT helps these guys out a lot. Gives them a chance to fatten up and lose that timid streak that some of them have.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back