New candy cane,

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got a new CC coral I don't know what the name of it is but it's also my first coral in my 40g breeder.
image.jpg
image.jpg

These are two picture I took with my phone. Trying to get a good pic with my sony

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than the scientific name they are just called candy cane or trumpet corals after the color of the coral. Some are called cat eye, these are generally brown skin some with white stripes and green eyes. One called kriptonite which is a neon green.

OP
OP
Mstanker

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral is about 2 days old. When do these types of coral open up. I watched acouple of video and ppl say at night?

Noob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine inflate during the day when I have my lights on.

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks as though it is open. If the body is se color as eye it may not look closed. But they will send out tentacles if they sense food in the water. If your water perimeters are decent and the coral is happy and healthy, looks healthy. Try feeding it.

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine inflate during the day when I have my lights on.

They like other LPS corals inflate when food is in the water column. Kinda like absorbing stuff from water.

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend brine shrimp baby brine shrimp, and rotifers. Mine love brine shrimp and rotifers and they won't stop growing new heads a.

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Krill may be a big too big. If available you could chop them up and they will still eat them

OP
OP
Mstanker

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright everyone its been 7 days since i got the candy cane coral from petco but i have never seen it open up. The outer heads look as if they are getting bigger but i have never seen them eat. I got mysis shrimp an fed my xenia they are eating good but not the CC.thanks

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will open in their own time. As long as they full. They are fine. When the flesh starts to recede up the stem, the head gets smaller. Then it is something to worry about. While on topic what are your water perimeters. Salinity, cal, ph, alk, nitrate

Tx Medic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two color variations of the same coral they only open and feed at night for me they will take small Mysis shrimp one per head.

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look OK. As for eating they will when hungry. They will eat anytime they sense food and hungry. Mine eat at night or day if it is a feeding day. Most corals eat at night but that is because in nature that is when the food is available to them. In a tank they will adjust to your feeding schedule. As long as you have good water they will be fine. Some take to food quickly others take awhile. All depends on type of coral and water conditions

OP
OP
Mstanker

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water conditions are good. I got a Red Sea test kit everything is right around avg. water is at 1.025. At 79F and may I add that getting new corals are addictive lol.

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your perimeters are in check and stable it will eat in daytime. Once it gets use to that feeding cycle. Reef keeping is addictive and expensive.

OP
OP
Mstanker

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so what if you miss read your ca and mag. And then dosed that night. I'm testing with the Red Sea reef pro kit. When I test the two I used 95 an 94% of the testing chemical then it will turn blue telling me to stop. If I'm reading it right those to lvl are really high? Any help in it area

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry i do not use that test kit. Calcium should be around 420-460 mag three times that number. No idea what number you have but an increase of those two should not be a issue. Alk and ph are two you need avoid causing a swing. We learn from our mistakes.

OP
OP
Mstanker

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC01759.jpg
Alright so its been 30 days now and when i feed my tank the candy cane do not let there feelers out," night or day".

I watch candy canes feedings and always feeders are out eating? anyone have a clue

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 22.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back