Bayer insecticide as a coral dip

spacetime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On other forums I've seen people using the insect killer + germ killer. Will this also work? Has anyone else used that type? I can't get the Turf and Soil so this may be my only option I have frags infested with what I think are AEFW eggs, but they are just white, not brown. Thanks in advance.

spacetime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well chucked the frags... if the clear gooey stuff covering the most of the plugs are eggs its not even worth it. Thanks!

m88a2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is there a regiment for getting rid of AEFW and red bugs? for example, dip as instructed above by watchguy once every 4 days for 2 weeks?

Shadow1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is there a regiment for getting rid of AEFW and red bugs? for example, dip as instructed above by watchguy once every 4 days for 2 weeks?

I dipped everything in my display every 5 days for a total of 8 weeks I have no AEFW or red bugs or nudis left. Been close to 6 months since last treatment.

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been battling aefw in my tank for about 6 +months. I tried in tank treatment, but it never worked. I pulled out 90% of my rocks and got all new rock. (Many SPS corals were encrusting and I couldn't dip a whole rock in Bayer to treat for aefw). I started a frag tank just to get rid of these little suckers. IMO if u had aefw in ur tank and u didnt pull out every single SPS and treat them in a separate system...u most likely still have aefw. After months of dipping every single SPS frag in my tank, I still had em.

I am 99% sure I got them from wild/mari colony's. knowing what I know now, I would never put one of those mariculture rocks in my tank. Always cut the colony off the rock and put it on a new frag plug. Or better yet, cut off a nice big frag of the colony, and throw the rest in the trash. It's impossible to check every nook and cranny for aefw eggs. Dipping will kill the adult worms, but the eggs will hatch and BOOM ur infested.

Swine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worth I dipped a cyphastrea for 10 minutes in 16oz tank water w/ 20mL and it seems to have severely stressed it out. It was all bright green now except for the mouths it is brown. It literally happened during the 10 minute period. In that same dip I dipped 3 zoa frags and a rainbow Cyphastrea, all which were fine. The green cyphastrea was freshly cut.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW, 10 Ml per 1/2 cup?? that is Super strong. I have personally seen AEFW bail out quickly at 1Ml/1 cup of water.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swine, no, yours is much closer id guess. I was referring to this:

Summary, in case there was some confusion​

1.) Remove frag from plug or rock and observe the frag for eggs or anything unusual, if in doubt, get rid of the frag. No frag is worth the contamination. Bayer insecticide does not kill AEFW eggs
2.) Dip 5-15 minutes at 10ml of Bayer Insecticide per 1/2 cup of tank water, rinse in clean cup of tank water once or twice afterwards to remove residue Bayer
3.) It is an insecticide, be safe and utilize appropriate precautions. Don't smell, taste or touch the insecticide and use a well ventilated room.
4.) Only use the following pictured Bayer Insecticide for this procedure at these recommended dosages
5.) Two fellow reefers, Whisperer and Flamron, are remarkable for their contribution and should be commended for their breakthrough

seems extremely too strong in my opinion. also, the rinse could be a bit weak to me. I dipped my whole tank basically. (at times rocks and all) and at most it was 2Ml/ Cup of water and that was with rocks. EVERYTHING bailed off them. felt so bad for the baby brittles. at the strength listed here, that is 10X what I used. you need to RINSE this stuff off really well. I rinsed in two batches of tank water and had a cleaner shrimp die a few days later.

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Dipping the rocks would probably hold quite a bit of residual Bayer within them. Thus why you lost a shrimp.

I dose at 10ml per 1/2 cup all day long.

I've watched AEFW come back to life at lesser doses once placed into "clean" saltwater again. They bail quickly, yes, but aren't dead. I want them dead.

I just dipped a frag of acans in this dosage a couple weeks ago as well. It was closed up for a day, and then expanded fully on the second day in the tank.

Jeffanator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too dip my coral in Bayer complete insect killer, I use and have been doing so for over a year 200 ml per half gallon of tank water and dip my monti's in this for 5 min and never had a bad reaction . it is crazy but my monti's go into a growth spurt every time I do dip them. Maybe it's the nudies given them a break that makes em happy.

Jeffanator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've use this bayer dip often trying to rid Monti eat nuds. I was dipping every monti in tank. I have a lot of em . Rinsing in a 5 gal bucket and ended up getting in DT and killed all shrimp , crabs& pods. it is best to rinse very well with fresh tank water every time. Because it don't take much to kill inverts. I had dead inverts I didn't even know was in tank.

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have a handful of reefers describing success in ultimately ridding their tank by meticulously and repeatedly dipping coral. I think that is marvelous. The best use of Bayer, however, is as a preventative as you introduce new coral. Once your tank is infested, whatever you do is not going to be easy or necessarily effective

Jeffanator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 80+ different montiporas in my reef. I dip in bayer inspect and dip again then scrub and rinse and I still have got monti eating nuds in tank . OMG I'm going crazy. I feel like putting a stick of dynamite in tank. I know where and who I got em from. The cheapest most common green monti cap I didn't even want.

duke62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont understand how you guys like this dip? When I use it I cannot see anything in the dip cup to even know if its working. I tried it a few times and I just dont see what the craze is with this dip method. I like to see whats coming off other wise its like dipping in the blind. I use melafix now its a 5min dip and within 30 seconds not joking the pests are flying off the coral and dead in 15

dcsaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont understand how you guys like this dip? When I use it I cannot see anything in the dip cup to even know if its working. I tried it a few times and I just dont see what the craze is with this dip method. I like to see whats coming off other wise its like dipping in the blind. I use melafix now its a 5min dip and within 30 seconds not joking the pests are flying off the coral and dead in 15

I haven't heard of a melafix dip. Tell me more please.

duke62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google it. Its a aquarium product. If it gets in the water its fine its made as a reef dip and its also used for dosing to help with bacteria infection in fish

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back