Do you color coordinate your SPS in your reef?

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always wondered what thought goes through reefers heads when placing SPS in the reef? Understanding that light and flow come into play on where to put a coral but does color? Two blues next to each other? Cali Tort and a blue Tenuis? Or that's a no no..LOL! Maybe a blue and a green in stead? Or a trifecta of color a blue red orange? Or maybe it doesn't matter? What kind of reefer are you?

OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you have good intentions but real estate because scarce...I know what you mean:)

MikeyB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try not to, i like to keep colors all over the tank, so ill put a purple in each 1/3 of the tank, and usually in a different spot too. Follow with all different colors.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two blues next to each other? Cali Tort and a blue Tenuis? Or that's a no no..LOL!

This is me. I can't stand 2 colors together. I can't even tolerate 2 different shades of a color together. I always end up with a couple corals similar in color together though. I have to through something in a different color to break it up a bit.

bfam4t6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always try to break my colors up. Occasionally different shades will neighbor one another, but I do my best to break them up with different colors. Eventually, lack of real estate changes the game a bit, but I still try not to put green next to green or blue right next to blue.

Acro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm super OCD about how my tank looks lol I have one big rock for acros and they are mixed colors (I hate green but I have some in there that is too late to take out lol)

I have an area for my chalices that are surrounded by zoas that are each on there own small rock lol

Makes fragging simple too!

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to worry about putting them where I wanted but painfully learned over the years that I had to place them where they wanted to be, so now I don't care anymore.
If a coral likes where it's at, I leave it, if not I try a new spot. Color, growth form, species, my desires, non of that matters, they tend to end up where they want to be, not where I wish they would.

OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great comments guys! I too can be the OCD kind when it comes to what goes where. I almost try to plan a list of corals I want and where they will go before any corals ever go in. Great to know what reefers think when it comes to the placement of coral and their color.

KritikaL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm weird i try and keep certain coral types near to each other... so my milliporas ( different colours ) are all on a similar level in the tank, all my stags are far back in the tank, to fill the back drop of the tank, then i have my tenius and deep waters sorta go down the bottom in the tank. That way i find i don't keep the same colours near to each other, but i keep them species specific. its hard though :D especially when a lot of echinatas look very similar.

Oldude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Random colors with a mix of different shades & shapes give they most natural look in my opinion. I've seen some tanks that remind me of a fruit stand.

OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Velodog2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article!!

Truly!

I just came in from my deck where I was studying a small forest style bonsai planting I had made a few years ago. A guideline for making a good forest is to put larger trees in front to give better sense of depth. But I never really understood how that worked. Then I came inside and read this article detailing "forced perspective" and voila, all became clear.

ValorG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I try to keep contrasting colors and textures together. Thick growing branches next to thin. Straight predictable growth next to random growth. Obviously its easier said than done so if I can't I at least just get different colors together.
o6ehea.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 27 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.4%
Back