Roni's 270 Miracles Tank

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, wanted some advice. I've had a persistent leak to my frag tank and I'm thinking of redoing the plumbing. Currently, the frag tank is fed off the main pump manifold, which I'm keeping, which then feeds a UV inline and the feeds the frag tank. I put the UV sterilizer down from the main reef line to make sure there is always water in the line. However, the leaks haven't been fixed despite using some silicone afterwards. I'm going to replumb it as I think I didn't get enough contact on the joint that keeps leaking. However, I've been rethinking how the UV is plumbed in since it will make changing the bulb difficult. Do I need to have the UV lower in line or can it be elevated (and still fill with water when water is turned off).

Didn't see this till just now but I am assuming you are using hard PVC for your manifold? You can take some PVC glue and mix shavings made from PVC pipe into a slurry and use that to weld around the seams. The Seams need to be dry though. It will melt and fuse the seams, getting rid of the leaks. That or you can go to a Spa repair place and get the two part glue they use for spa flex tubing.

OP
OP
Acropora52

Acropora52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't see this till just now but I am assuming you are using hard PVC for your manifold? You can take some PVC glue and mix shavings made from PVC pipe into a slurry and use that to weld around the seams. The Seams need to be dry though. It will melt and fuse the seams, getting rid of the leaks. That or you can go to a Spa repair place and get the two part glue they use for spa flex tubing.

Oh, that's an awesome idea! I finally got frustrated and just redid the plumbing :) I'll keep that trick in mind though, as I still have to plumb my wife's 70 halfway across the house into this main system.

Nice group of fish you got there.

Thanks Brett!

OP
OP
Acropora52

Acropora52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Had a rough go of things for a little while. Took my daughter to Disney (first time for me as well) and came home to a lot of dead fish. Not sure exactly what happened. Never lost that many fish in 15 years of keeping reefs. After sorting through the mess, was able to pull some of the fish into qt and then let things ride out in the main tank. The fish in QT are finishing 8 weeks in hypo this week and will be reintroduced into the tank. Otherwise, corals are doing relatively well. Had elevated phosphates from feeding way too much while the fish were battling through illness but that should be getting under control soon. Took a video a couple weeks ago with my new pair of clowns (semi picasso and rod's onyx). Can't seem to find the link but will post when I get home.

Here are some pics of the tank in the meantime.

IMG_9962.jpg

WWC Toxic Pie

IMG_9963.jpg

Red Watermelon

IMG_9964.jpg

WWC yellow eyed lepto

IMG_9965.jpg

BGM

IMG_9972.jpg

Grape watermelon

IMG_9969.jpg

Fist full of dollars?

IMG_9974.jpg

IMG_9975.jpg

grape watermelon

IMG_9973.jpg

pinkalicious

IMG_9967.jpg

IMG_9971.jpg

IMG_9970.jpg

2012-03-22175902.jpg

I'll post a new video next week once I add the other fish back in :)

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice corals!

Saulsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hah talk about "ask and you shall recieve"

thats too bad about the fish, your corals are looking great though.

OP
OP
Acropora52

Acropora52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks...most for just a couple months. Had my toxic pie get buried and badly injured. Still haven't figured out a way to keep the sand from whipping around with the flow in the tank. Sold a couple of powerheads so now down to 2 MP60s, a Tunze 6155 (my new favorite pump) and the return (reeflo hammerhead).

Added a bunch of frags from our clubs meeting (and got to hear Bob Fenner speak...really entertaining guy). Also added 3 more clams. Now I'm just looking for that elusive blue squamosa, a few really nice croceas, and a black and white max :)

I also started to get the fish in qt out of hypo so I'm hoping to have them back in the tank next week.

lsingh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks...most for just a couple months. Had my toxic pie get buried and badly injured. Still haven't figured out a way to keep the sand from whipping around with the flow in the tank. Sold a couple of powerheads so now down to 2 MP60s, a Tunze 6155 (my new favorite pump) and the return (reeflo hammerhead).

Added a bunch of frags from our clubs meeting (and got to hear Bob Fenner speak...really entertaining guy). Also added 3 more clams. Now I'm just looking for that elusive blue squamosa, a few really nice croceas, and a black and white max :)

I also started to get the fish in qt out of hypo so I'm hoping to have them back in the tank next week.

i hve never been a fan of mp60 bc they r too strong and gves a spot flow ....
on my new 72x30x25 tank i am using a wave box facing the front of the tank along with tunze 6305 and 6155 all getting controlled with tunze wave controller...
these two pumps hve wide spread and they r strong also and i coudnt be happier....best part is u can direct em so they wont bow of ur sand:smile:

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roni, sorry to hear about your fish losses. :sad: Did the Regal make it?

We enjoyed the video and are looking forward to seeing some updated pics (and/or video :wink:) once the fish in QT are moved and settled. :bigsmile:

M&T

OP
OP
Acropora52

Acropora52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i hve never been a fan of mp60 bc they r too strong and gves a spot flow ....
on my new 72x30x25 tank i am using a wave box facing the front of the tank along with tunze 6305 and 6155 all getting controlled with tunze wave controller...
these two pumps hve wide spread and they r strong also and i coudnt be happier....best part is u can direct em so they wont bow of ur sand:smile:

Yeah, I love my Tunzes. You really can't beat them for price, functionality and product support. My tank is rimless with inset screens, however, and I'm trying to minimize powercords coming out from the tank, which is the main reason I only have 2 tunze pumps currently.

Roni, sorry to hear about your fish losses. :sad: Did the Regal make it?

We enjoyed the video and are looking forward to seeing some updated pics (and/or video :wink:) once the fish in QT are moved and settled. :bigsmile:

M&T

Thanks Mike and Terry. Unfortunately, the regal, my daughter's favorite fish, was one of those that didn't make it. keeping an eye out for another one. The one I had was amazing. She was very personable and also didn't pick on any corals. I doubt I'm going to be that lucky again :(

Last edited:

Quinn123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reagal was doing fine,until one day he just went to town on my acans and my clams. I have an 5" asfur angel and never touch a corals, I am keeping my fingers cross, he is one beutiful fish

OP
OP
Acropora52

Acropora52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reagal was doing fine,until one day he just went to town on my acans and my clams. I have an 5" asfur angel and never touch a corals, I am keeping my fingers cross, he is one beutiful fish

One of our local club members, copps, has had a lot of success with angels. He describes what he terms the "Pleco effect" i.e. when we kept freshwater tanks people would find a pleco eating a fish and assume that the pleco ate the fish. He thinks that much of the problem we have with angels in the reef is due to sick coral (sometimes things we can't even see yet) and the angel then eating the coral. The other issue is the amount we feed and the small size of our systems. These fish in the wild constantly pick at the rock but the damage they do is spread out over several hundreds of yards. In a closed system with a finite food supply, those things on the rock start looking more delicious :) I've moved the few acans I had into my LPS tank (plumbed into the same system). I do still have a fair number of zoos and lps in the 270 and currently have a navarcus, moorish idol, flame angel, golden angel, 2 bellus, and a filefish. So far, things are okay but if I notice a coral isn't opening it's polyps as much, I have the opportunity to move it before there is too much damage.

Some pics of the clams and maybe a fts? Im a needy subscriber I guess;)

lol. I'll see if I can get the camera out and take some decent pics. I've been battling a little cyano and bubble algae so the tank is not really picture worthy right now.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've talked with Copps a couple times over the years, he's gotta be one of the most interesting people to listen to. His tanks are incredible as well. I wish we could get him to come over and chat on R2R.

jaesong

Gentlemen Wanderer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your fish. Did the black tang survive?

Very beautiful setup.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back