EcoTech Radion or AI Sols Blue

dbartkow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I am deciding between getting two of either the EcoTech Radion or AI Sols Blue for my 110 Gallon Tall (48x18x30). I am looking for some feedback on those that have seen both of these in action.

- How does the spread compare? Is there any spot lighting?

- How does the par compare?

- Programability: is there any difference in these features?

- Fan noise: How does their noise level compare?

- Any growth comparison results yet? LPS? SPS?

Well that is all I can think of right now. I look forward to any feedback you might have.

Dave

jaytizzle

Fish Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither. A friend and local reefer has had the AI Sol Blues and he traded them out for a Vertex fixture. He had a Radion pre-ordered but decided to cancel and get another Vertex. After seeing is myself, they're awesome. I'm a big DIY fan but if I didn't go that route Vertex is the way to go.

kane720

da madd reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither. A friend and local reefer has had the AI Sol Blues and he traded them out for a Vertex fixture. He had a Radion pre-ordered but decided to cancel and get another Vertex. After seeing is myself, they're awesome. I'm a big DIY fan but if I didn't go that route Vertex is the way to go.

man the vertex does look sweet, love the being able to upgrade or change the fixture without having to solder but ouch on the price tag. do anyone know the spread for the 18 incher?

chestnud

Slice & Dice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had both. I had some spotlighting with the AI's because I was unable to hang them (they were mounted in a canopy). I now have ecotechs mounted in the same canopy with zero spotlighting. It is also nice that it syncs with my mp40. The colors of my corals have also improved. At the store I use AI's and get great coverage, but they are mounted about 18" over the display.

-No noise with either unit.
-The AIs you adjust intensity via controller. Ecotechs are programmed on your computer and can be preset (8k,10k, 14k, 20k) or custom setting.
-Colors have improved under the ecotechs. (red and green leds may be the reason for better colors in sps)
-Spread is good with both, but if unit is going to be close to water the ecotech is better.

Last edited:

lsingh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i hve AI s and coudnt be happier....my sps r growing as in same same speed as MH....never used ecotech so dnt know about em

octoberfest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have AI's and so far love them but can't compare to Ecotechs.

I know on the AI's the spread, according to AI, is 24"X24" (when mounted at least 12" above the water). What is it for the Ecotech?

chestnud

Slice & Dice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have AI's and so far love them but can't compare to Ecotechs.

I know on the AI's the spread, according to AI, is 24"X24" (when mounted at least 12" above the water). What is it for the Ecotech?

I'm not sure on hanging. I am getting 18"x18" from them 4" above the water. I liked both brands, the ecotechs suit my situation better.

OP
OP
D

dbartkow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...I now have ecotechs mounted in the same canopy with zero spotlighting. It is also nice that it syncs with my mp40.

Thanks Chestnud, some great feedback here. I do have a question about syncing the Radions with MP40s. I have heard this before too. Can you give me an example of what this means and why it is beneficial/helpful?

Thanks!
Dave

eastamherstbias

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen both the radion and ai in person. I always wanted a vertex but I could not justify the extra 1k. So I went radion.

Last edited:

CONSTANTNE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI's without a doubt! Two over my 40 breeder

IMG_7482.jpg

Dashiki

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought two AI's for my 30 cube I looked at the radion and while all the settings seemed cool I could not justify the extra 700$ when I have already seen the sol's grow coral with great color if you acclimate the corals to it correctly. A month from now I am willing to bet there will be people on here complaining about how they bleached their corals with the radion too.

I'd rather spend the 700 on some nice corals.

But if you havethe money to waste then go for it.

The radion is a nice light but not so different from the sol that it should be almost double the cost.

Keoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought two AI's for my 30 cube I looked at the radion and while all the settings seemed cool I could not justify the extra 700$ when I have already seen the sol's grow coral with great color if you acclimate the corals to it correctly. A month from now I am willing to bet there will be people on here complaining about how they bleached their corals with the radion too.

I'd rather spend the 700 on some nice corals.

But if you havethe money to waste then go for it.

The radion is a nice light but not so different from the sol that it should be almost double the cost.

DEFINITELY +1.

I've owned AI Sols for the past 6 months and have been very pleased. I've made some costly mistakes with acclimating my SPS to the AI system in the very beginning. After a lot of patience, observation and a change in my acclimation methods, I have witnessed fantastic growth for my SPS and have developed a timing schedule for future acclimation of new SPS.

After researching Ecotech Radions, it seems like a GREAT system. It does have a number of features that the AI sol does not. The Radion's automation and its ability to sync with other Ecotech products in order to create a more seamless reef environment is an exciting feature for the reef trade but not at the cost of almost double what an AI Sol cost. In agreement with Dashiki, if it doesn't bother you to spend the extra $$$$, go for it as it is a nice system. For most of the reef trade in these economic times, an efficient and cost-effective system fits the bill over an overpriced one.

Though LED systems have a long way to go in establishing itself as a primary lighting source for the reef trade, it has definitely made some serious strides moving forward. As a user of the AI system, I definitely like what I see now with my sps and not willing to "fix something that isn't broke".

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't the radion have twice the wattage as the sol blue? So it's not like your paying twice as much for nothing, I estimated the cost to be similar for either upgrade. The radion is the obvious choice for me, I only need two units compared to four ai units. I have one ai unit over my frag tank, while it is nice, there spread isn't that great and I get no red spectrum.

It seems that people who have ai units are just recommending ai over the ecotech...seems that we need to hear from someone who has had both.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

chestnud

Slice & Dice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The syncing function is enabled when you load the light cycle from you computer to the fixture. It basically increases the MP40s output as light increases. At night, the MP40 goes into a slower lagoon type of mode once the lights go into night cycle.

Dashiki

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I only had to buy one light then I would have bought the radion. But two sol's for 875 with a controller or two radions for 1500 with the advantages of the red and green lights still debatable. If the difference was closer to 400 then I would have had a longer thought on it.

The white led in the sol has red spectrum in it.

The radion has 22 more watts than the sol. Which to me seems negligible since I still need 2 for 30x30

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I only had to buy one light then I would have bought the radion. But two sol's for 875 with a controller or two radions for 1500 with the advantages of the red and green lights still debatable. If the difference was closer to 400 then I would have had a longer thought on it.

The white led in the sol has red spectrum in it.

The radion has 22 more watts than the sol. Which to me seems negligible since I still need 2 for 30x30

Where did you get that info? The radion runs at 120w vs the sol @ 75. The wattage difference is 45.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back