Welcome to Reef Forum R2R
+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member -Logzor is on a distinguished road

Keep Concrete from Sticking to Molds

I am thinking about building some concrete molds out of wood. I plan on designing the mold to be detachable, so you could disassemble them after the concrete has cured.

What can I apply to the mold to keep the concrete from sticking? Could I paint the wood with some sort of epoxy coating? Would I have to apply/spray something each time?

Moderator / clam nut!

skinz78 is on a distinguished road
    What are you making? Normally diesel oil is used.
    See someone who you feel deserves the Reef2Reef Community Excellence award? Click on the Excellence icon below and pm me your nomination

Check out my current tanks here!
    Skinz's big boy tank 210g" ~ Sarah's 28g JBJ

Registered Member
    m and m is on a distinguished road
    I googled it first thing that came up

How to Keep Concrete From Sticking to Wood | eHow.com

Choose the release-agent based on the size of the project. Lard, shortening and soaking the wood work well on small craft-type projects.

Avoid using dark colored oils, motor oil and fuel oil as they will stain the concrete.

Read more: How to Keep Concrete From Sticking to Wood | eHow.com How to Keep Concrete From Sticking to Wood | eHow.com

They would be concrete blocks, definitely wouldn't want to use anything that would stain. I'm wondering if a type of plastic epoxy would keep it from sticking without having to apply a release agent every time.

I sniff ozone and relax.

Young Frankenstein is on a distinguished road
    I use regular kooking oil, waterer is left over, after 2 months in water with a hi ph everything disappears.
    Sent from my i phone using Frankenstein telcom

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex, It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Albert Einstein

Please visit the DIY ForumFor what we are about to see next, we must enter quietly into the realm of genius.
    Member FMAS Florida Marine Aquarium Society, Visit our FMAS R2R forum. http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/flor...arium-society/
    http://www.fmas1955.org/wordpress/

Steve

Registered Member creefer is on a distinguished road
    I would use form oil. It's a product used by concrete contractors that you should be able to find at a builders supply or concrete accessories provider. It's works the best.

Registered Member buckeyereefer is on a distinguished road
    form oil is first choice. really depends on what size an shape your makin ? also how many uses ? plus how u build them to be disassembled ? even with epoxy paint it will stick after few times. i am a concrete contractor. we due all types of form work an flatwork. along with decorative stamping.

I'm hoping to design forms that I can disassemble from around the concrete once it has hardened. The shapes may be pretty complex. Ultimately I want to be able to cure the shapes outside of the mold but I guess that requires some kind of machine to which applies enough pressure (dry forming I think it's called).

Registered Member buckeyereefer is on a distinguished road
    yes , dry forming would be like the process for making block & pavers. it is also a VERY dry mixture so virtually no shrinkage. so size is kept uniform. what size will these be ? approximately that is. what area are you from ? the name sounds familiar. i am central ohio.
    the idea of removing the form from around rather than just sliding it out will work much better for repetitve use.