1. From time to time we get request from members wanting to do more to help R2R grow and looking for more ways to support our great community. Well we now have a way!

Click here to see how you can support R2R, get some awesome Reef Gear, and win $7200 in prizes!

Keep Concrete from Sticking to Molds

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by -Logzor, Aug 8, 2012.

1. -Logzor

-Logzor Well-Known Member

I am thinking about building some concrete molds out of wood. I plan on designing the mold to be detachable, so you could disassemble them after the concrete has cured.

What can I apply to the mold to keep the concrete from sticking? Could I paint the wood with some sort of epoxy coating? Would I have to apply/spray something each time?

2. skinz78

skinz78 Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Excellence Award Partner Member

What are you making? Normally diesel oil is used.

3. m and m

m and m Well-Known Member Photo of the Month Award

4. -Logzor

They would be concrete blocks, definitely wouldn't want to use anything that would stain. I'm wondering if a type of plastic epoxy would keep it from sticking without having to apply a release agent every time.

5. Young Frankenstein

Young Frankenstein I sniff ozone and relax. R2R Excellence Award

I use regular kooking oil, waterer is left over, after 2 months in water with a hi ph everything disappears.

6. creefer

creefer Well-Known Member

I would use form oil. It's a product used by concrete contractors that you should be able to find at a builders supply or concrete accessories provider. It's works the best.

7. buckeyereefer

buckeyereefer Well-Known Member

form oil is first choice. really depends on what size an shape your makin ? also how many uses ? plus how u build them to be disassembled ? even with epoxy paint it will stick after few times. i am a concrete contractor. we due all types of form work an flatwork. along with decorative stamping.

8. -Logzor

I'm hoping to design forms that I can disassemble from around the concrete once it has hardened. The shapes may be pretty complex. Ultimately I want to be able to cure the shapes outside of the mold but I guess that requires some kind of machine to which applies enough pressure (dry forming I think it's called).

9. buckeyereefer

buckeyereefer Well-Known Member

yes , dry forming would be like the process for making block & pavers. it is also a VERY dry mixture so virtually no shrinkage. so size is kept uniform. what size will these be ? approximately that is. what area are you from ? the name sounds familiar. i am central ohio.
    the idea of removing the form from around rather than just sliding it out will work much better for repetitve use.