Keep Concrete from Sticking to Molds

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by -Logzor, Aug 8, 2012.

1. -Logzor

-Logzor Well-Known Member

I am thinking about building some concrete molds out of wood. I plan on designing the mold to be detachable, so you could disassemble them after the concrete has cured.

What can I apply to the mold to keep the concrete from sticking? Could I paint the wood with some sort of epoxy coating? Would I have to apply/spray something each time?

2. skinz78

skinz78 Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

What are you making? Normally diesel oil is used.

3. m and m

m and m Well-Known Member Photo of the Month Award

4. -Logzor

They would be concrete blocks, definitely wouldn't want to use anything that would stain. I'm wondering if a type of plastic epoxy would keep it from sticking without having to apply a release agent every time.

5. Young Frankenstein

Young Frankenstein I sniff ozone and relax. R2R Excellence Award

I use regular kooking oil, waterer is left over, after 2 months in water with a hi ph everything disappears.

6. creefer

creefer Well-Known Member

I would use form oil. It's a product used by concrete contractors that you should be able to find at a builders supply or concrete accessories provider. It's works the best.

7. buckeyereefer

buckeyereefer Well-Known Member

form oil is first choice. really depends on what size an shape your makin ? also how many uses ? plus how u build them to be disassembled ? even with epoxy paint it will stick after few times. i am a concrete contractor. we due all types of form work an flatwork. along with decorative stamping.

8. -Logzor

I'm hoping to design forms that I can disassemble from around the concrete once it has hardened. The shapes may be pretty complex. Ultimately I want to be able to cure the shapes outside of the mold but I guess that requires some kind of machine to which applies enough pressure (dry forming I think it's called).

9. buckeyereefer

buckeyereefer Well-Known Member

yes , dry forming would be like the process for making block & pavers. it is also a VERY dry mixture so virtually no shrinkage. so size is kept uniform. what size will these be ? approximately that is. what area are you from ? the name sounds familiar. i am central ohio.
    the idea of removing the form from around rather than just sliding it out will work much better for repetitve use.