• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Chunks in reef frenzy to big

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

Duberz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to try the lrs reef frenzy for the first time and I'm a little disapointed. After feeding my tank I had to go around with a net getting out all the larg chunks of meat that were WAY to big for my fish to eat. Seems like a quality product but not practical for feeding smaller fish.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have this problem back when first hitting the market on a large scale.
It was always my only complaint, even stirring aggressively with my baster didn't want to break it up.
But lately it's been very easy to just stir and break up into small to fine pieces. MUCH better and I have no issues now.
The Fish Frenzy on the other hand I still had trouble with when i had to buy then when my lfs was out of stock on the Reef Frenzy.

I wonder if you got an older batch?
Or I wonder if my experience over the past several months has just been coincidence and nothing has really changed?

Culater94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also noticed my latest batch is much smaller. I use Julian's Thing to feed, and before the pieces would get stuck in the end, now I am able to suck them up and shoot them out no problem.

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duberz,

Thank you for your feedback. In early 2013 we did listen to our consumers who were mostly maintaining smaller tanks and we took steps to further process all the blends to minimize any chunks from "sneaking" through.

Currently we have tight controls on blending, mixing and we even remove the "tough as nails" adductor muscle from EVERY oyster since they can be tough. Unless you have really tiny fish you should find our Reef, Fish and Herb blends to be suitable. All three of those blends are EXACTLY the same as far as particle size and designed to feed fish 1.5-6" or so.

I can say that one of the "plusses" about our foods is the freeze/thaw still permits the natural proteins to hold the food together for larger fish, but if you have smaller fish you can mince the food into smaller pieces very easy. There are several hints on our Frequently Asked Questions page at ReefFrenzy.com

I see you are in Florida which is one of our biggest markets for sales. I doubt you got an older pack since most stores restock regularly. If you would PM me the name of the store I can check my records. If necessary I will send you a pack of our Nano food designed for smaller fish to compare. No charge.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Larry

PS- This video should show a good representation of the texture of the food after you thaw it.

[video=youtube_share;_xBgYepf3hw]http://youtu.be/_xBgYepf3hw[/video]

Last edited:

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Larry, have you sent the nano food to FJW or any other LFS here in Houston, TX?
I've got a little 8g nano at work that's only been getting fed pellets.
It's only one little clown and a few cuc but i feel kinda bad. haha :D
I'll pick a pack next time I'm there if he's got it.

bboyvital

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the nano frenzy will take care of you. That is what I started using because the chunks in reef frenzy looked big when I saw a video of it.

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any LRS Nano in Knoxville TN?

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the nano frenzy will take care of you. That is what I started using because the chunks in reef frenzy looked big when I saw a video of it.

There are many videos in our gallery of all sizes of fish eating the standard Reef, Herb and Fish Frenzy Blends. They are by far our most popular sellers suitable for the majority of users. This video shows how the food can be thawed and lightly chopped to make it suitable to drop in the tank for feeding. It only takes a second and you don't need to use our strainer. You can chop it up on any flat surface or break it up in the cup of water with a fork. The freezing process "binds" the ingredients and proteins together but they typically shred and fall apart once they hit the water and the fish or a powerhead break them up.

[video=youtube_share;trMEPTWs0-Q]http://youtu.be/trMEPTWs0-Q?list=FLgjUqayLvNIBDT5wGQGDzHg[/video]

Link to example videos: Media Gallery

Any LRS Nano in Knoxville TN?

We have many stores ordering on a constant basis so I cannot advise who may have it in stock. I would hate to risk guessing and you drive there and it was sold. You can enter your zip on our searchable map and call your LFS to be safe.

Reef Frenzy, Best Reef Food - Larry's Reef Services, Llc - Advance, Nc : Other

Thanks!

Larry

Last edited:

Joe Knows Reefs

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is, in my opinion, the best fish food on the market. I've been using LRS Reef Frenzy for a couple of years and absolutlely love it. It's the only thing I'll feed my fish and I also use it as a coral food for LPS like scolies, dendros, brains etc. What's even better is that it's American made (luckily in my own backyard) by one of the nicest group of people you'll ever meet. Big ups to Larry and his crew!

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed the same thing as the OG poster when my LFS started selling it, bought two packs. I ended up giving it away and haven't tried it since. Couldn't see spending my money on it a second time.

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to look into the nano frenzy for my baby clowns. I currently try to shave my reef frenzy for them but still end up with pieces that are too large for them so maybe that will work better. How would the particle size compair to cyopeeze? Also any word on your breeder mix? I'm a fan of your product, I've never had any issues.

tonymission

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a fork in my jar with tank water and just break it up against the side of the jar. Rarely have any chunks. Cleanest food out there and everyone loves it. Just sold about $100 of other foods for $20 because my wife was nagging me about it... I just need my reef frenzy

Looking forward to meeting you this weekend Larry! :)

smiley28

Hectorj
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!! Didn't know they adjusted the food in the last year. I used to try feeding reef frenzy cause my old lfs guy back home said it was legit. I never took into account back then that he mostly had tangs, angels, and triggers in his tanks. I may just have to pick up some of the newer stuff.

franciscosalazar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a "nano" frenzy, I opened it once, pieces are definitely not nano... it's been sitting in my freezer since... And I don't see any mincing instructions in the faq...

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry but I am cracking up here!! I've been feeding my nano fish Reef Frenzy, you know the big packs, for 2yrs. How? It's called.....get ready for it....ready...wait....ok.....I've been using cuticle scissors and cutting up little tiny chunks into bite size pieces!! Just so ya'll know, when you add a little tank water it breaks up even more :) BOOM!!
I can't believe you reefers!!

Last edited:
Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 29 60.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.3%
Back