New to the game all advice welcome

lukegrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi my names luke I live in United Kingdom England Bristol, I'm new to the marine game, looking for advice on everything really, I'm starting with a 70 l tank which filtration wise only has a carbon filter in the lid, is a protein skimmer a must or as the lfs advised live rock will be adequate ? I'd like advice for stocking levels and good beginner fish and reef corals thank you all in advance.

justaDutchguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiya Luke, welcome to R2R!

I am pretty new to it as well but have done quite a lot of research, wich is a must ofcourse when setting up something so beautifull yet delicate.

I have a 50l so pretty close to yours. The right amount of live rock, with most of it's surface exposed to flowing water will do the most amount of filtration. Therefor you would need powerheads.
Here's how i did it. I have an in tank filter with a filter sponge, a smal carbon pad and some ceramic rings, basically an all in one small filter bought on ebay on the opposite of the tank i have a powerhead circulating about 700l/h. Now my 50l is a try out project before i go bigger so i don't really care about having a sump to hide my equipment.
I don't use a skimmer for this smal tank, and i don't think you really need one yet.
I put in live sand, rock and a 50w heater and let things run for some days to see if the temp stayed stable and it did.
Lighting is an important thing as it will help your corals grow. I have a small Hilumen led unit hanging on the rim.

The most important thing is letting it cycle long enough before you add fish or corals, altho i have seen opinions vary a lot on that subject. I just prefer to wait, i have been waiting 3 weeks now with only a clean up crew with 4 snails and 3 hermit crabs.
Even this period has been great, watching all the small life at night with a flashlight after the lights went out.

As for stocking, I am going for some goby's, maybe a schirmp or 2 and slowly adding corals, starting with the easier to keep ones like Zoa's. Basically it's a balancing game, getting the right stocking level to
Produce nutrients for your corals by having fish poop and not feeding your fish too much (all the can eat in 1-2mins). Also, get some water tests and keep an eye on your water parameters, basically to start with, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph and phosphates will do i think.

Some might say you could keep a clown or even a pair of them, but i think it's a bit small for them, especially once full grown, but there's ppl that keep them successfully in smaller tanks then yours.

I hope that helped! I am not the best to give you advice as i am still pretty new too, so just do more research, watch some video's and basically grab te info that feels right, between the massive amount of info there is online.
There will be more experienced members here able to tell you more detailed;-)

Have fun getting your tank up!!

OP
OP
L

lukegrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi thanks for the input really appreciate it, I'm the same this is a trial/practice tank to see how I get on with a few cheaper fish and corals going to purchase live sand and rocks today and pre mixed RO salt water and let it cycle for 4-6 weeks as its in our lounge and want to watch the temperature fluctuation and test reading are all good before adding anything. My upgrade will be 190 l tank which I have in storage so will be purchasing a skimmer and bits for that but 12 months practice first

justaDutchguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, your plan sound pretty mich the same as mine;-)
I just have to order the tank i want, but i'll wait a bit before i do.
Do you allready hava a salinity meter? And with what will you do your topoff's?

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No a skimmer is not a must but as time goes on and your livestock increases and nutrients increase a sump and skimmer become highly beneficial to a healthy sys. Skimmer for nutrient export and a sump to increase water volume which increases stability in your sys. Otherwise you will be doing a lot of water changes quite often to keep your parameters stable. But for initial setup not necessary but i would look to and plan on getting them as soon as possible

OP
OP
L

lukegrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all thanks for the welcome, not bought my test kits yet, all sand and water and live rock in, plenty of activity going on in there small snails, bristle stars and worms all coming out of the live rock it's quite exciting not sure if it will all survive as its not matured in any way so just see how it pans out for the next 4 weeks once it clears up as its a little cloudy from the sand il post a a picture

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! Sounds like you are off to a good start! :)

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Welcome to Reef2Reef!* As far as beginners corals go I would recommend a candy cane( caulastrea),zoas or anything referred to as a soft coral.Favia and favites tend to be forgiving and readily available as well.Try a inexpensive variety first.Best of luck with your aquarium!
DSCF6388_zpsb0b33bb_edit_1421119222246.jpg

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best beginner fish for that tank is a moorish idol!
Just kidding DON'T DO THAT!
If you want a good beginner coral, go with some zoas! Always my recommendation. They can be so colourful and bright, and are usually very easy to keep (there are a bunch that will die because they just want to)
Also anther good beginner coral is mushrooms. There are lots of nice ones!, some have striking patterns, some are just a single deep rich red or blue, and some are colourless, but with big orange bubbles. If you can imagine a mushroom, chances are somewhere in the world there is one just like it.
My motto is "If you don't love it, don't get it!" If you stock your tank with only the corals you love at first sight, you will build the perfect reef. "Perfect" because it makes you smile every day.
Or if you're not that into corals, same goes for fish! You have even less space for fish, so make the best of it!
But, I'm not telling you h2w your tank has to be, enjoy the hobby the way you want :)
Your tank is not that large, but whether you should still get a protein skimmer depends on how much fish you want, what fish you want, and what corals you want.
SPS tank? Get a skimmer. Softie tank? Carbon filter is just fine. One fish, not that much waste, 7 fish, lots of waste.
Anyway, welcome to the hobby, and to R2R! Good luck with your aquarium :D

OP
OP
L

lukegrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you lots to think about I'm going to cycle for 3 more weeks, then add a couple of shrimp then want to get 2 Kaudern's Cardinal and a False Percula Clownfish and some soft corals I may add a blennie or yellow clown goby

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back