~TJ'S 125g ~ Building of the Reef~

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todd thanks for having me over today. You and your lovely wife were super host!! Even with the dosing and feeding issues your tank looked great. TThanksagain Zach

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning Todd :) I was wondering about the magnets you used for your cabinet doors. Where might I be able to get them? I love your idea and it would be perfect for my stand. Thanks

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jackie, the best place I've found so far is http://www.magnet4sale.com/ and was referred to me by Marty (mfinn) a few years back. There are many many options to chose from on their website. Being Neodymium magnets though they are very powerful and need to handled with caution on the larger ones. I believe if my memory serves me well that the ones I used in my door closure were 3/8 x 1/4 Epoxy coated. The 5/8 x 1/2 ones for the end panels will hold firm through the palm of my hand and have some 3/4 x 1" ones that actually hurt from the pressure. Anyhow check them out and if you have any questions on or about application post them up or shoot me a pm.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go Jackie, after measuring the magnets in doors and finding my box of extras they are 3/8 x 3/8 Epoxy coated ones and pics below show application. I countersunk top & bottom on both inside of door and face frame and Super Glued them in place. I then attached a small silicone cabinet door bumper over top to keep magnets from actually touching plus silent close.

IMG_20140720_192426808.jpg
Neo magnets counter-sunk in face frame for inset door catches 4-14-11.jpg

This is how I bored them out with the drill press for the end panels beaded frame but same process on the doors and face frame parts. I countersunk them just barely below flush to make sure the glue secured them well.
Counter sink boring for neo mags in end panels 3-8-11.jpg

​Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I thought I'd share my simple idea on making it easier to fill those darned Phosban reactors without making a big mess. And being that you may still be able to find one of the little plastic Firework Rocket Covers from the 4th still laying around in your yard somewhere. One of things that bugs my wife the most about me is the 'Packrat' mentality at times and this is one of those things that I picked up out of the flowerbed and thought "Hey, might be able to put this little thing to work on one thing or another" so into my cubby drawers it went. Anyhow pics below show how easy it is to cover the down tube and keep out all the GFO.

IMG_20140720_120039997.jpg
IMG_20140720_120347314.jpg

And wow, just a few hours with the new GFO and my Corals are noticeably responding. My friend Kevin tested my water with his Hanna Phosphate Checker at our Club BBQ yesterday and PO4 registered .26 I beleive. I knew it was going to readable as my Nitrates had already spiked from the pellet food dump.

Cheers, Todd

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent idea Todd! Lol, I'm one of those packrats too. Filling this tube makes me not want to do it like it's a real chore due to the mess. Thanks

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, with a Summer Thunder Storm making it out of the question to be working outside on a fence/gate project to day decided to get a head start on the next phase of my canopy build. The slide on 3-sided facade is/has worked flawlessly but now want to block the rest of light pollution spilling out the top into the room. Some time ago I picked up a couple of LARGE 200mm Silent (19db) computer fans from my friend Eric for this purpose. So today I finished laying it out then got it all cut out and ready to make hardware attachment to the aluminum heat sink array tomorrow for a dry fit. I used 3/8" Baltic Birch that conveniently comes in 5'x5' sheets and will finish with a couple coats of Marine Spar Varnish and maybe a Mylar lining on the underside.

7-1/2" holes cutout for the 200mm/7-7/8" Fans spaced towards ends to draw air up through aluminum frame where they get the warmest. The plywood will be elevated 1/2"-3/4" with spacers to better allow flow around the aluminum frame.
IMG_20140723_180745822.jpg

Closeup of the fans, even have Red LED's..... ooooh....ahhhh....ohhh
IMG_20140723_181104847.jpg

I plan to control them with the Apex and have the first (right/East) fan come on with the ramp-up of 2nd circuit and the second (left/West) fan come on with ramp-up of the 4th circuit then off in similar fashion.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have been dealing with and fretting about my poor Coral and all the stress I've put it through lately and pretty much ignoring the other half of my Reeftank 'THE FISH' This morning they got my attention finally by all coming out to say HELLO!!! LOOK at US! WE'RE HAPPY, and don't really care what color the Corals are...... So after my warm piscatorial morning welcome sat down with my first cup of coffee and just watched my Fish for a while. Couple quick cell phone pics of most of my 22 Fish just sayin' Hey! or maybe Breakfast Time! buddy.

Morning in the Reeftank 7-24-14.jpg
Morning on the Reef 7-24-14.jpg

Cheers, Todd

eww

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your supposed dull colored coral rival most at their best my friend. Your tank never ceases to amaze me every time I see it. It is the staple I use when ever I hear "my tank is to full, I don't have any more room for that piece of coral" :D I'm glad those fans are finally going got get some use. Are you going to hook up the ultra cool red LEDS as well?

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is still looking great Todd. I'll look forward to seeing those fans in action. I had comepletely forgotten about them.

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Eric, thanks for the kind words my friend. Coral colors are coming back pretty fast and only have a small amount of STN on a couple colonies. And YES gotta at least try the 'Flashy' Red LED's to start with. Well I definitely do not have much room for any additional Coral so you need to get a tank wet soon so I can unload some Corals on you to bud. I can give you a hand in the shop next week and also make final plans for the new tank materials so we (meaning you) can order up the acrylic.

Cheers, Todd

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank always looks amazing to me! It's great that you could just sit and spend a little "attention" time with your fish :) I seems you both needed that. Good time to reflect also!

eww

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good to me Todd. I was actually going to have you join me at that special plywood store in the next weekend or two to actually buy some wood to get this project moving. Going with Walnut and would like your eye on the wood before dropping that kind of $$$.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back