~TJ'S 125g ~ Building of the Reef~

rainydave

Chimp in Space
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again guys....... Eric and Zach, you'll also be able to sit in one of the new chairs as well...... just not at the same time..... not in my house anyway....lol

Darn.... a delay on grouting til next week after special order liner bars and chair rail come in, so off to the Beach House for an extended Memorial Day weekend and maybe get in a little 22oz arm curls. Some locally brewed favorites.
IMG_20140510_124815950.jpg

I did find a couple of these little beauties in my overflow yesterday, a tad over a 1/4" top to bottom. First time the new male has carried babies full term.
IMG_20140519_112624158.jpg

Cheers, Todd
Where are you finding that good selection of local brews?

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dave, these were picked up at Albertson's in Kingston so I'm sure you can find them at the Thomas Lake location ??? The Silver City FAT Smoky Scotch Ale is pure and silky smooth malted goodness at 9.2%, so just have one....lol
Hood Canal Brewery out of Kingston and Valholl Brewing in Poulsbo has some mighty fine Ales as well, double hopped Ambers and IPA's definitely of these two.

Cheers, Todd

And..... what ? no comments about my cute lil baby Bangaii's

Last edited:
OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, luck seems to be with me and having only two lil survivors as there was just a HUGE Mysid Shrimp spawning so there is plenty for these two to eat for now. As long as they don't get sucked down the overflow I have hope. The very first ones I traded for about five years ago were newly released babies like these and was in a mad scurry to get some Brine Shrimp hatched but when I woke up the next morning to check on them there was a huge swarm of newly hatched Mysid that came off the little piece of LR I threw into the QT with/for them. It took them about 8-10 days to eat them all then they went directly to shaved frozen Mysis and Brine Shrimp from there. These babies are from my original female and a much younger male I got from Mike (herefishyfishy) last Summer. Chris, if they make it I'll put your name on them bud.

fuzzy pic I just took a few minutes ago, they are going to town on the lil Mysid Shrimp....... micro carnivores....lol
IMG_20140520_144656057.jpg

Cheers, Todd

rainydave

Chimp in Space
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dave, these were picked up at Albertson's in Kingston so I'm sure you can find them at the Thomas Lake location ??? The Silver City FAT Smoky Scotch Ale is pure and silky smooth malted goodness at 9.2%, so just have one....lol
Hood Canal Brewery out of Kingston and Valholl Brewing in Poulsbo has some mighty fine Ales as well, double hopped Ambers and IPA's definitely of these two.

Cheers, Todd

And..... what ? no comments about my cute lil baby Bangaii's
Sorry...the beer distracted me.

Very cool about the little baby Bangaiis. :)

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did find a couple of these little beauties in my overflow yesterday, a tad over a 1/4" top to bottom. First time the new male has carried babies full term.
IMG_20140519_112624158.jpg

Cheers, Todd

That is soooooooo cool! What a great find!

I once found a clown we thought died 6 months before in the back sump in a 24g nano cube he was still alive and swimming.

Jackie

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to try the scotch ale it sounds interesting.

Just wanted let everyone know that Todd is great friend and he is mailing out some frags to me tomorrow. What is so cool about this is that he feels the way I do about frags. Ittty bitty micro frags suck. At least I know that my boy Todd is going to send out some decent mini colonies and frags that will actually grow without waiting months for it to take off. I really appreciate that he is willing to make the effort to send them to me. I wish there was more fellow reefers out there willing to share with others not only there knowledge but sharing corals.

I plan to share as well. I plan to send back a couple dozen of peppermint shrimp which seem to be in my stone crab traps on a regular basis. I also plan on hunting down some ricordia from here in Florida. Would be nice to do a barter share type deal with others as well like a coral for coral trade it could save many of us a decent Mount of money.

I will post some pictures of them in my tank after acclimation to the new tank.

Thank you Todd

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am compelled to chime in as well. Todd is paying it forward to me as well tomorrow, sending me frags, and following a pattern set by his own friend, no longer with us, and establishing a pattern I hope to live up to myself. As a newbie, I really have no idea what Todd is sending; all I know is that I'm very excited about it, not only to have coral in a new tank, but eager to learn and grow and pay it forward myself. Thanks Todd, sincerely. If joekool and I can do for others what you're doing for us, and so on, and so on, that could really be something.

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, thanks guys but hope you did not jinx me.... as I've never shipped out Coral before. And yes, that is all I ask of either of you is to also 'Pay It Forward' when you are able to. Would really be AWESOME if we can get this idea /past tradition re-vamped here on the friendliest and best Reefing Forum out there. I'll have three boxes going out tomorrow to AZ, TN and FL crossing my fingers for a safe journey.

Cheers, Todd

Sicks Rocks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish my aquarium was ready for corals. Hopefully you guys will still be around to share some frags =^)

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this idea as well. I don't have a lot but when I can frag some leather and zoas I like to give them away also. Super nice of you Todd!

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey just add more oxygen than you think you need for the ones going longer distances. I think it's a 50/50 ratio in the bag. Half water half oxygen should be fine in bag. I think fish use more than corals because they are nervous and use it up faster. I'm sure it will all be fine what ever you do. To much air will take up more room in the box. Hint hint lol.

Oh you think you could send me some micro frags because they grow quick NOT! I you know what I'm joking about.

Setting up a date to go check my crab traps. Call me later bud.

Slainte
Joseph

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been very busy of late and have not had much time to spend on the Reeftank. Have not even shipped out the boxes of Coral to the boys either as still waiting to get shipping labels sent to me from my friend Les, with his 30-50% discounts on FedEx it will be much more doable in general and worth the wait.... I hope.
I did get my two Jebao RW-15's installed and they absolutely ROCK! With running a gyre on my tank I have the front left one (Master) on W2 and speed 6 with back right one speed 2. With both at 6 I nearly created a vortex in the middle. Also I still have the two little Bangaii's living in the overflow and saw at least one more in the fuge, a bit bigger than the others with a huge population of Mysid Shrimp in there for it to eat. Sold some ridiculously large frags/colonies and prunings for cheap today to get some sand bed real estate back, thanks Kevin and Kevin...lol
Updated firmware on my Apex and will attempt to hook up to 'Fusion' tomorrow after I get back from the Skykomish River's opening day of Summer Chinook. Now that most of the beta bugs have been worked out I feel a little more comfortable with installing it.

Cheers, Todd

Stemick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todd's I think you will like fusion. The only trouble I have had with it is trying to get it to load the login box on windows 7 at work. But it works fine on windows 8,samsang S4, iphone5, and Ipad. You have alittle but more running of off it then I do. If you need any help with it feel free to message me. It has came a long way since it has came out of beta. Do you have any pics of the new pumps in action. That's awesome Bamgaiis.

NC2WA

Angelfish Whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todd,

I love the apex fusion. I haven't had any problems on any operating system...If you need help, let me know..

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little update teaser here. Winding down my last full day on Kauai so finally hiked out to some nice tide pools for low tide this morning for a bit of collection. Only fish I could catch that might have been worth bringing home was a small Hawaiian Squirrel fish but did find some nice macro algae and additional CUC members. Will hit some tide pools after dark to see if I can catch any interesting fish or additional inverts
Mahalo, Todd
IMG_20140628_153224365.jpg
IMG_20140628_153234636.jpg

P.S. pics of tide pools these were collected from
Tide pool 2.jpg
Tide pool full of macro algae.jpg

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back