112 Build (Planning)

AKTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I'm finally ready to get a tank. I requested a quote from AGE for a 60x24x18 rimless. I bet shipping to Alaska is going to be high :squigglemouth:. Can anyone recommend a place in the Seattle area where I could get a tank like this? Shipping might be better from there.

Also, Can I get some advice on overflow hole/pipe size and return pump?

I'll be stocking with sps, lps, clams, and fish.

Thanks

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump!

luxauterna

A softy who loves softies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had my 135 set up with a 35 gal sump, I used a gl*******s 1500gph overflow kit with 1 1/4" drains and a mag 18 return pump. The 1 1/4" was a random last minute fix to some poorly planned drilled holes. I think that (2) 1" drains would probably suffice.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't really help you with a place in Seattle for a tank. For the size/number of holes for an overflow you have a few different options to weigh. It really depends on what kind of drain "system" you want. You could go with a standard durso in which case you would need one drain hole in each box and one return hole. You could look into a herbie style drain which uses a full syphon and is very quiet. This will need 2 drain holes per box one for the full syphon and one for an emergency overflow. There is also the "bean animal" drain system which is usually incorporated into an external overflow box and uses 3 drain holes. Take a look around on the web and see which you think will work best for your application. As far as hole size goes 1" is pretty standard drain size for a tank that size and either 3/4" or 1" for the returns if you're going to have them drilled as well. Hope this helps you some. Good luck with the new setup!

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. Can anyone recommend a place in the Seattle area where I could get a tank like this?

Thanks

We have a LFS called Oceans by Design in Seattle and they build custom glass tanks. They do great work I've never heard a complaint. You can google them.

OP
OP
AKTank

AKTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I'm definitely going with a coast to coast overflow so BeanAnimal looks like the best choice.

I sent a quote request to OBD. Still waiting to hear back.

OP
OP
AKTank

AKTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OBD turned out to be a good choice so far. I ordered a 60x24x20 rimless with a troth style overflow and returns at either end. Mike has been very responsive working with me on the plans. So far so good. Thanks for the tip. Decided to go with an 1-1/4" BeanAnimal for the drains since I had leftover bulkheads from my last tank. Returns will be 1". Working on a new counter style stand with cabinetry to match the kitchen.

OP
OP
AKTank

AKTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Step one: Get a tank. Check.
Guess it's closer to 125 than 112.
IMG_2539.jpg

OP
OP
AKTank

AKTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3365.jpg

Stand roughed in. Concrete counter in place and ready to finish. Tile and acacia hard wood flooring next. I might even get to the tank this year :squigglemouth:

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful! Tagging along. Love building!!

OP
OP
AKTank

AKTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3417.jpg

Making progress. Hardwood and tile flooring is in. Counter is finished. Tank is in place. Beans and returns are plumbed.

Now for the water system and I must admit I don't have a good plan yet. I got an RO/DI filter that I will plumb into the house water. I guess I will need two water storage tanks? One for RO/DI (used for top off and mixing) and one for mixing and holding salt water? I could use some advice and examples. What size tanks do I need for my size system? 125 display. 75 sump, probably only 2/3 full.

-Thanks

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome setup so far this will be very similar to my end game tank! I want peninsula but. Concrete top and rimless are sweet!

OP
OP
AKTank

AKTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started making RO/DI water last night. Got the first 50 gallons done. 100 to go. Getting ready to mix the first batch and start filling the system. Any advice? What haven't I thought of?

OP
OP
AKTank

AKTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3485.jpg

First 55 Gallons in the display. Next batch is cooking. Had to haul it upstairs two buckets at a time. Turns out the quiet one 5000 can't push water uphill 18'. I need a new internal pump ASAP. Any recommendations?

akitareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yay, WATER. What kind of price range are you looking for? I'd go with a DC pump. There's a few different brands, they are probably the most powerful submersibles out there and they're low watt. Jebao's are the cheapest and I've had pretty good luck with them.

Do not get another quiet one, I burned through 3 of the larger ones until I learned. They are high watt, hot and should probably only be used in ponds.

OP
OP
AKTank

AKTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I'm not going to skimp on a main component like this. I'll check out the DC's.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back