areefer IM EXT 112

areefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm jumping into the hobby with both feet. It's always been a dream and I finally decided to make it a reality. This will be mainly a fish and LPS tank.

Anyways, I thought I would share my progress so far. I'm taking it slow and making sure things get done right.

Equipment (so far)
  • IM EXT 112
  • Fiji-30 sump
    • Filter floss/socks to start (I'll probably add a roller mat in the future)
    • Maxspect Jump SK400 skimmer
    • Jebao DCP-8000 return pump
    • 2 x 300W BRS titanium heaters with IM Helio controller
  • 3 x AI blades (2 grow & 1 glow) - hoping that 3 will be enough for now. I can always add more if needed.
I haven't decided on wave makers yet. I want to keep the side walls bare for the views. So I'm leaning towards 2 gyres mounted on the back wall vertically. But I'm not sure if it will provide the right flow. Still debating this.

Build (so far)

The tank is setup in the living room next to the TV in an alcove. The left side is fully viewable from the sofa. There is a bit of space on the right side to view the tank from that direction.

1704407965158.png

I lined the bottom with a pond liner.

1704407989150.png

With the square stand, I didn't want to waste the space in the front of the stand with the sump pushed to the back. So I oriented the sump perpendicular to the front of the stand on the left side. This made plumbing a bit more complicated, but I think it worked out well. I used 1" for all of the piping and only reduced to 3/4" at the return bulkheads.

I'm hoping to do a leak test this weekend.

1704408039328.png

1704408088508.png

1704408104881.png

One question - should I add pipe clamps for the vertical runs? If so, what's the best approach with the APS stand? One option I've seen that does not involve drilling into the metal stand would be to use 80/20 t nuts.

The aquasacape is mostly done. I'll post pictures once I get it in the tank (after the leak test).

Mixing station / water changes

I'm building the mixing station in the basement. The plan is to pump the new salt water up to the main floor to make water changes easier (I don't want to haul buckets). I'm also planning to pump the waste salt water out to our side yard from the tank. We have a concrete septic and I don't want to take the risk of damaging either the septic tank or leaching field.

I started the platform for the brute trash cans. More to come.

1704408155540.png

I'll post updates as they happen.

Cheers!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm jumping into the hobby with both feet. It's always been a dream and I finally decided to make it a reality. This will be mainly a fish and LPS tank.

Anyways, I thought I would share my progress so far. I'm taking it slow and making sure things get done right.

Equipment (so far)
  • IM EXT 112
  • Fiji-30 sump
    • Filter floss/socks to start (I'll probably add a roller mat in the future)
    • Maxspect Jump SK400 skimmer
    • Jebao DCP-8000 return pump
    • 2 x 300W BRS titanium heaters with IM Helio controller
  • 3 x AI blades (2 grow & 1 glow) - hoping that 3 will be enough for now. I can always add more if needed.
I haven't decided on wave makers yet. I want to keep the side walls bare for the views. So I'm leaning towards 2 gyres mounted on the back wall vertically. But I'm not sure if it will provide the right flow. Still debating this.

Build (so far)

The tank is setup in the living room next to the TV in an alcove. The left side is fully viewable from the sofa. There is a bit of space on the right side to view the tank from that direction.

1704407965158.png

I lined the bottom with a pond liner.

1704407989150.png

With the square stand, I didn't want to waste the space in the front of the stand with the sump pushed to the back. So I oriented the sump perpendicular to the front of the stand on the left side. This made plumbing a bit more complicated, but I think it worked out well. I used 1" for all of the piping and only reduced to 3/4" at the return bulkheads.

I'm hoping to do a leak test this weekend.

1704408039328.png

1704408088508.png

1704408104881.png

One question - should I add pipe clamps for the vertical runs? If so, what's the best approach with the APS stand? One option I've seen that does not involve drilling into the metal stand would be to use 80/20 t nuts.

The aquasacape is mostly done. I'll post pictures once I get it in the tank (after the leak test).

Mixing station / water changes

I'm building the mixing station in the basement. The plan is to pump the new salt water up to the main floor to make water changes easier (I don't want to haul buckets). I'm also planning to pump the waste salt water out to our side yard from the tank. We have a concrete septic and I don't want to take the risk of damaging either the septic tank or leaching field.

I started the platform for the brute trash cans. More to come.

1704408155540.png

I'll post updates as they happen.

Cheers!
Have you considered a sea sweep?
You can use a propeller pump and get all the flow you need with one for your setup. The wire runs up through the sweep.
Im running 2 on a new ext 170 sps setup.
They are pricy but imo worth every penny.
20231208_125809.jpg
20231230_104309.jpg

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
somehow I missed your 112. good job making the shelf usable. Can mount UV underneath.

Behind your stand, is that a washing machine port for your water changes? That would an awesome set up to get/remove water.

OP
OP
A

areefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
somehow I missed your 112. good job making the shelf usable. Can mount UV underneath.

Behind your stand, is that a washing machine port for your water changes? That would an awesome set up to get/remove water.

Thanks. The one thing I don't like on the APS cabinet is the shelf. It's a pain to get in/out and level. I cut out a notch in the shelf to make room for the drains.

I plumbed two 1" PVC tubes to the basement for making water changes easier. I used a standard washing machine enclosure to make it look cleaner. I started working on the mixing station and plumbing to the PVC tubes last weekend. Still more work to be done.

1704931102001.png
1704931147246.png

OP
OP
A

areefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completed plumping the mixing & pumping station. A few lessons learned. Maybe it will help someone in the future:

- I didn't take into account where the return inlet in the salt water brute (the one on the left) would land. So I had to cut the handle to fit it in.
- One of the brutes already had the bulkhead installed so I installed the bulkhead in the second brute in the same location. But I didn't take into account the height of the pump inlet. So I had to raise the brutes with tiles to align the plumbing.

1705979076253.png

I filled the brutes up with tap water and then pumped the water up to the tank & sump. I'm using the Jebao DCP-15000 to pump the water upstairs about 12'. Even running at 50% the pump provided good flow up to the tank.

The tank is filled now and running. I'll let it run for a few days to test for leaks. So far so good!

1705979268258.png

After a few days, I'll drain the tank & sump (using the pump in the basement) and let the system dry completely before adding the aquascape and starting the cycle. Can't wait!

OP
OP
A

areefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how's the build coming?
Glad you asked :) I finally have it ready to start the cycle! BTW - love your TBS rock and all the stuff that came on it. I'll have a longer road with my dry rock.

The aquascape took about a week of looking at it and making adjustments until I was happy with it.

1707686762462.png

1707686793833.png

I just finished adding 3 bags of CaribSea Special Grade Arag-Alive sand and the salt water. I also added a few pieces of rock from a local LFS to my sump to help seed the dry rocks.

Mixing the salt water took longer than expected. I only have 32 gal brutes and I had to heat the water while adding the salt to make sure I got the right salinity. I also have a small leak in one of the brute bulkheads which was a pain to deal with. For now I used pipe thread sealant but it's still leaking. I'll probably have to replace the bulkhead.

Anyways, everything is now running. I'm going to let the water clear up a bit over night and then start the cycle with Fritz Turbo Start with Dr. Tim's Ammonia.

1707687425020.png

1707687459163.png

(I'll stop the skimmer and remove the socks before adding the bacteria)

Next steps:
- Add pods after the cycle is complete (probably SnackleBox from Dinkins)
- A couple of clowns (probably from Dr Reefs)
- CUC (not sure what yet)

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same setup as you except I cycled my rock in a trashcan beforr I added it to the tank. Added 15 lbs of live rock and I was good 2 go once the salt was added to the tank (and the sand storm settled down).

I would recommend the pods from Dukins. I have added 2 batches so far and am going to do another.

I added 100 snails from reef cleaners (based on his recommendation) a few weeks after the tank was fully running and I turned my lights on. I don’t have a ton of algae yet, but defiantly film on the glass and stuff on the sand.

Once my tank was setup, I did the fish transfer from a smaller tank a day or two later (4 smallish fish), and then added 2 tangs right after that will no ill effect. At that point the rocks had been cycled a 45 days + the liverofk helped.

If you looking for other good stuff to jump start you micro-biome (after it’s cycled), look at IPSF. They have some products from their farm that can help add good bacteria, worms, and other fun stuff to your tank. I highly recommend them, and the owner is great. The website does look VERY old, but it’s legit.

I will second Dr Reef for fish. My first 4 were Petco (and I didn’t QT - but got lucky). Everything since has been from him and the process is great. Livestock is well taken care of. Any new fish I get will be from him

OP
OP
A

areefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same setup as you except I cycled my rock in a trashcan beforr I added it to the tank. Added 15 lbs of live rock and I was good 2 go once the salt was added to the tank (and the sand storm settled down).

I would recommend the pods from Dukins. I have added 2 batches so far and am going to do another.

I added 100 snails from reef cleaners (based on his recommendation) a few weeks after the tank was fully running and I turned my lights on. I don’t have a ton of algae yet, but defiantly film on the glass and stuff on the sand.

Once my tank was setup, I did the fish transfer from a smaller tank a day or two later (4 smallish fish), and then added 2 tangs right after that will no ill effect. At that point the rocks had been cycled a 45 days + the liverofk helped.

If you looking for other good stuff to jump start you micro-biome (after it’s cycled), look at IPSF. They have some products from their farm that can help add good bacteria, worms, and other fun stuff to your tank. I highly recommend them, and the owner is great. The website does look VERY old, but it’s legit.

I will second Dr Reef for fish. My first 4 were Petco (and I didn’t QT - but got lucky). Everything since has been from him and the process is great. Livestock is well taken care of. Any new fish I get will be from him

Thanks for the pointer to IPSF. I'll check them out. Definitely want to boost my biome as much as possible.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't already, try to support your pipes.
That T slot idea sounds best.
The inside shelf is NOT a necessity, I left mine out.

OP
OP
A

areefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I'm waiting on the tank to cycle, I add a gravity fed ATO. I diy'ed a stand from a computer monitor and used a float valve.

1708832849871.png

1708832877951.png

1708832916315.png

Next up...dealing with this rats nest of wires:

1708832964590.png

OP
OP
A

areefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a lot of visible progress. I'm trying to be patient and let the tank mature. That said, I have added a small CUC and I've put in an order for a couple of flasher wrasses and a gramma from dr reefs.

While I've been waiting, I've cleaned up my rat's nest of wires. I'm also setting up a coral and fish QT tanks for future purchases.

1712104135942.png
1712104163704.png

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a lot of visible progress. I'm trying to be patient and let the tank mature. That said, I have added a small CUC and I've put in an order for a couple of flasher wrasses and a gramma from dr reefs.

While I've been waiting, I've cleaned up my rat's nest of wires. I'm also setting up a coral and fish QT tanks for future purchases.

1712104135942.png
1712104163704.png
Wires look nice and organized!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back