Keith's IM 100 INT

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After literally 100's of hours of internal debate and negotiations with my wife, I am going to start a new IM 100 INT build. I currently have a IM 20 Abyss Drop-off tank, and while I thought it would be an "easy and cheap" option, I have realized over the last 18 months that keeping a small tank has a lot of challenges (and wasn't cheap).

I was in the IM vs RedSea vs Waterbox paralysis by analysis, and ultimately decided on IM (solid track record, build quality, etc.). I had to go with the IM 100 INT due to size constraints in our living room, but would have gone with a 150/170/200 if I didn't have other people i the house who would held it against me :)

Innovative Marine 100INT | Display: 100 gallons | Sump: 50 gallons | ATO: 5 gallons | Total Water Volume (including rocks/sand/equipment): 86
Return Pump:
MightJet XL (@40%)
UV Sterilizer: AquaUltraviolet 25-watt | UV Pump: VarioS-4 (@40%)
Controller: Hydros | X8, X10, X2, X4, WE, WE Light, IV
Skimmer: Nyos Quantum 160, BRS CO2 Scrubber
Reactors: BRS GFO & Carbon Mini Reactor (Running Carbon)
BioMedia: Polyp Lab Genesis
Filtration: 2x Filter Socks
Wavemakers: 2x Maxspect XF330 (20-60% random) | Backup: 2x Octopulse 2 (0% normally, 20% when no power is running/battery backup)
Heating: Primary/Secondary - IM Helio PTC 2x200W (400W Total) | Tertiary: BRS 300W Titanium heater
Lighting: EcoTech Radion 2x XR30 G6 Blue
ATO: Trigger ATO Reservoir (5 Gallon), Hydros ATO
Primary Testing: Hydros (Temperature, Salinity, pH, ORP, KH) | Seachem Ammonia Alert
Secondary Testing: Hanna, Salifert | Salinity, KH, Ca, Mg, NO3, PO4
Rocks: 85lbs CaribSea Liferock, 15 lbs KP Aquatics Aquacultured Rock
Substrate: 80lbs Bahamas Oolite Live Reef Sand

Target Parameters: 8.25-8.5 dKH, 450-475ppm Ca, 1450ppm Mg, 0.10-0.15ppm PO4, 10-15ppm NO3
77.8-78.2°F, 34.8-35.5ppt Salinity, 7.90-8.22 pH, 150-275 PAR (sand bed to middle)
Nutrient Control: GFO (as required to keep P below 0.20, but above .1), Tropic Marin NP Bacto Balance (0.8ml), Chaeto Refugium

Dosing/Treatments (daily): AFR (8ml), Red Sea ReefEnergy AB+ (8ml)
Coral Supplements (weekly): Polyp Lab Reef Roids + benepets Slurry
Trace Elements (weekly): Chaeto Grow
Automated Feeding: 3x Daily Pellets (New Life Spectrum Marine Fish/AlgaeMax and Nyos Goji Berries)
Manual Feeding: 2x Mysis Cubes
Vitamins: Brightwell GarlicPower, AminoOmega (every 2-3 days)

Last edited:

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After literally 100's of hours of internal debate and negotiations with my wife, I am going to start a new IM 100 INT build. I currently have a IM 20 Abyss Drop-off tank, and while I thought it would be an "easy and cheap" option, I have realized over the last 18 months that keeping a small tank has a lot of challenges (and isn't cheap much cheaper). I want to go with a larger tank to have a larger variety of fish and better overall stability.

I was in the IM vs RedSea vs Waterbox paralysis by analysis, and ultimately decided on IM (solid track record, build quality, etc.). I had to go with the IM 100 INT due to size constraints in our living room, but would have gone with a 150/170/200 if I didn't have other people i the house who would held it against me :)

Here is where I am starting:

• Tank - IM 100 INT w/ RS 39 Sump -- purchased, arrive in late Dec
  • Lighting - 2x Radion xr30 G6 Blues -- purchased
  • 1-2x Klir 4 Roller Mat (wanted a reefmat, but IM sumps don't support it without major rework)
  • Nyos Quantum 160 Protein Skimmer - will this be sufficient for a IM 100?
  • MightJet XL Pump - came with IM 100. Not a huge fan, but came with the 100. May replace at later point
  • 2x 200 Watt helio PTC Smart Heaters (400W total)
  • IM ChatoMax Refugium Light (transfer from existing tank)
  • Aqua UV 25 Watt UV Sterilizer + Pump
  • 15 Gallon ATO Reservior
  • 2x IceCap 2k Gyres (with Hydros Waveengine) -- have not purchased and debating if RS Reefwave 25 might be a better option, open to ideas - but like the Hydros integration
  • Hydros Controller
  • 2x Dosers from existing build
  • BRS Carbon/GFO Reactor
I am going to get about 70-100lb of Marco rock and start cycling it in a trashcan in my garage over the next 1-3 months. First will be 30 days no light cycle and then I might add some helpful critters from Indo Pacifica Sea farm to add some bio-diversity to it, etc. The goal will be to transfer the rock after its been cycled into the tank and be ready after its stood up sometime in january. Unlike my 20g, I am going to have a sandbed.

Once cycled, I will move some of my existing rocks (from the 20G over), along with the Coral + Add Pods. Then move the 3 fish I have last.

The existing 20g is going to be converted to a quanantine tank for coral. I also plan on standing up a second 20g quarantine for fish.

More to come as the equipment starts to arrive. I have some major re-arrangement of furniture and some house activities I need to check off the list as well before teh tank arrives.

Any suggestions for equipment, future stocking, etc. would be great.
How did you purchase the tank? Can’t seem to find them anywhere

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some equipment acquired. Pardon the junk in my garage.

• Lighting - 2x Radion xr30 G6 Blues
  • Nyos Quantum 160 Protein Skimmer
  • Varios 6 Pump (return pump)
  • 2x 200 Watt helio PTC Smart Heaters (400W total)
  • Aqua UV 25 Watt UV Sterilizer
  • 2x Maxspect XF330
  • Caribsea Liferock
    • 2x LifeRock Shapes (Arches and Tunnel -20lb each)
    • 1x Caribsea Liferock Large Arch 18"
    • 1x Caribsea Liferock Plateeu 18"

On the way:
  • Varios 4 Pump (UV)
  • Klir 4 Roller Matt
  • Tank - IM 100 INT w/ RS 39 Sump <-- Coming in Late Dec.
  • ATO Reservior
  • Ikea HAVSTA (Controller/Eletronics Cabinet beside tank)

Not purchased yet:
  • Small amount of Live Rock from TBS
  • Hydros Setup
  • Random tubes/connections / wiring stuff
  • Reactors?

IMG_2788.jpg

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I am gathering equipment and waiting for IM to deliver the tank ("Shipping end of December"), I have some prep work in our house.

Room Clean-up - Late November
  • I am putting the tank against an 8' Wall, that is covered by some existing cabinets, etc. My wife graciously agreed to let me have the tank. But i need to move the existing cabinetry and remount it against an adjacent wall.
Electrical - Late November/December
  • I am super fortunate to have a 20 amp circuit in direct location of the tank that is virtually untapped
  • I need to expand the existing outlet (adding a second or third) + GFI it all
Cure the Rock - Late November
  • I have about 80-100 lbs of dry Caribsea Liferock that will need to be seeded. Planning on throwing it in a trash can with a shrimp, heater and a couple of pumps for a month
  • I am going to order 8-20lbs of live rock from TBS to add some bio-diversity
  • I would like to cook the rock for 1-2 months before adding it to the tank
  • I haven't fully decided, but even after adding the rock to the tank, I may go for a full 4 month blackout before turning the lights on. That is the dream, but not sure I am patient enough.
Build the Control Cabinet - December
  • Probably the thing i am most excited about (as a geek), assembling cabinetry and setting up Hydros

Non-Tank related - Patching a Hole in our Ceiling
  • Earlier this year we had a minor second floor leak and I had to cut out and replace a piece of drywall
  • Drywall mudding is about 75% done, but there will be a lot of sanding and finishing that will be required
  • I want to finish this before setting up the tank to prevent a ton of dust going into the tank (its in an adjacent room, but have done a decent amount of drywall work and know how must this stuff travels around the house)

Once this is all done, and tank arrives, I will setup the stand setup and level. Then sump setup (equipment and controllers). Then start thinking about how to get the tank mounted.

Lastly will be figuring out logistically how I will fill it up.. open to ideas on how to best store and get ~100g of RO water over the next 2 months.

Last edited:

colesnwbds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered the IM 100 INT as well! super excited. Also over thinking everything while balancing budget ad performance. Good luck!

I'm still torn on flow. What were your thoughts on extra flow options and why did you go with what you have ordered?

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered the IM 100 INT as well! super excited. Also over thinking everything while balancing budget ad performance. Good luck!

I'm still torn on flow. What were your thoughts on extra flow options and why did you go with what you have ordered?

Lol, I know. The amount of time I have spent thinking about this is…. Not good.

I went with 2x Maxspect 330. I got them from coralvue at a discount rate (100 each). In reviewing options for gyres, I think the red seas are probably the better gyre. I am going to use hydros as my controller and the Macspect integrate directly into it without having to need their own controller.

If I don’t like them or want to expand (dead spots or more sps, etc.) I might go with 1-2 octopulses.

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Step # 1 - in progress. Freeing up real estate in our family room. 2 large 6’ container boxes moved out. Have some minor painting and sparkling to do on opposite wall from some old damage.

Decorations and kid stuff will also be moved out before tank it setup.

I am going to try and expand/replace the outlet in front tomorrow. Add GFCI and make it a double outlet.

Attachments

• IMG_2810.jpeg
    IMG_2810.jpeg
    130.9 KB · Views: 104
OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Electrical done for today. Replaced single gang 15 amp outlet with a dual gang 20 amp GFCI outlets. A decent amount of mudding and little sanding left.

for reference, the circuit has a 20 amp breaker and 10 gauge wiring to the outlet

IMG_2822.jpeg IMG_2823.jpeg IMG_2825.jpeg IMG_2826.jpeg IMG_2827.jpeg

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry rock cycling has begun.

Added 80 lbs of dry rock to a clean Brut trash can in my garage. 30 gallons of water. Running an old Pump, powerhead + 2 100 watt heaters. It will be covered up / no light for the full cycle.

Once temp and salinity are dialed in, I’ll add my shrimp and a little bacteria. Let this cook for the next 30-45 days.

IMG_2838.jpeg

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started filling it up, and had a couple of odds looks from people walking by. I realized it might look like I was setting up a meth lab, so decided to close the garage door for the rest of the fillup.

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My IKEA Control box / storage unit is constructed. Over the next week I will start adding equipment and stuff to build it out.

I am going to need to cut out part of the back (behind the adaptive reef box to run wires and let the power bricks breath a little.

Planning to run dosage liquids below, so I will need a couple of holes drilled into the separator as well

Attachments

• IMG_2840.jpeg
    IMG_2840.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2839.jpeg
    IMG_2839.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 58

sugar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I finally read through. Great build thread so far, I'm invested!!! You an electrician?? Very nice work. My boyfriend is an electrician and I will be consulting him for a few things :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Love seeing the equipment haul. Santa came early!! It's cool seeing a couple of similar builds happening at the same time. Best of luck with yours!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 87 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.2%
Back