Alex’s IM 150

Alexander1312

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 10, 2022
Messages
270
Reaction score
189
Location
San Francisco Bay Area, California, United States
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started this tank in December 2023. At this time, I had a little more than 1 year of reefing under my belt.

Tank basics
Tank Type: Mixed Reef
Tank: Innovative Marine 150 EXT [150 gallon]
Sump: Innovative Marine RFS39 [57 gallon]
Net water [est]: 150/140 gallon
Salt: Fauna Marin
Light: 2 x Quanta ATLAS + 2 Quanta Helix Blue - connected to Hydros
Flow: 2 Maxspect 350 gyres
Return Pump: IM Might Jet XL
Hydros controllers: X4, 2 x XP8, WaveEngine v2, control XS.
AquaWiz KH controller - connected to Hydros
Skimmer: DELTEC 1000i
Ozone: Ozotech Poseidon 200
Media reactor 1: Activated carbon + phosphate adsorber [both Fauna Marin]
Media reactor 2: Zeolite reactor (dual pump with auto flush)
Major and minor elements: Fauna Marin Balling Light
Dosing pump 1: Ecotech Versa - Alkalinity + Traces
Dosing pump 2: Ecotech Versa - Calcium + Traces
Power backup: Bluetti Elite 200 V2
ATO: Hydros
Heater 1: Aqualogic Contoller / Helio 2 x 350 watts
Fish Feeder: AVAST

Fish list
Note: Many/most of these fish were purchased and/or quarantined by my go to fish vendor High Tide Aquatics. I selected each and every one of these fish for compatibility and being reef-safe. Of course, there were other fish I liked but I was able to show restraint for the greater good of the tank.

IMG_3161.jpeg


Corals
Unfortunately, I am not great in keeping good track of the corals I have in my tank. There are various SPS, LPS/gonies/hammers/torches, leather corals and some NPS in this tank.

Reefing practices (as of June 2026)
  • Regular (weekly) water changes [<10%]
  • Weekly water testing (Salinity, Alk, CA, Nitrate, Phosphate)
    • Alk target: 7.5 dkh
    • CA target: 425-440 mg/L
    • Nitrate target: <20 mg/L
    • Phosphate target: <0.15 mg/L
  • Monthly ICP
  • Only buy quarantined fish.
  • Two part major and minor trace elements dosing [Fauna Marin Balling Light]
  • Feed enough but not too much (LRS, PE Mysis, TDO, Fauna mix pellets, reef jerky]
  • 2x /week DIY coral food
  • Nitrate management: carbon dosing + Zeolite
  • Phosphate management: GFO
Current problems
  • Too many fish in the tank to keep nutrients in check [nitrate and phosphate]
  • Flatworms (red) - looking for less obvious advice how to resolve (not flatworm X)
  • Lower PH (7.8-8.1)
  • Coral growth seems to get out of control and I am not able to keep up
  • Still on journey to dial in certain trace elements
Tank pictures (June 7, 2026)
Pictures taken without filter - unfortunately, roof sun light led to glaring.

IMG_8405.jpeg
IMG_8406.jpeg
IMG_8408.jpeg
 
Under the hood.

Poor wiring and tubing, 20 gallon ATO, Carbon/GFO media reactor, Zeolite reactor, 22,000 ml alkalinity dosing container, 5,000 ml CA dosing container, both with added trace elements.

IMG_8410.jpeg
IMG_8409.jpeg
 
Morning. Can we get some info on the Atlas. I have not seen these ran before. They look cool.
Thanks!
Note: I have an ext 170, 112, 50, and IM 15 aio.
 
Last edited:

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new