Mr. D's 40g AIO Box of Water

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Officially, the 29g is no more. Everything from it has been transferred to the 40 breeder AIO.

I had a few hiccups. Small part of the silicone on the bottom didn't seal 100%. I didn't cut the return hole low enough below the surface line when I made the AIO bit. I need to get a stronger return pump. The older maxi 1200 isn't cutting it I don't think. I forgot to rinse the sand, and I forgot how long it would take me to get water. So I spent roughly 9 hours transferring everything. The hardest part was the sponge and re-aquaplaning. I had an idea in my head on how I wanted it to be...I was close. Hopefully everything will do well as I tried to make it as low stress as I could. The 4 corals I do have are already open, the clam seems to be ok, and my little Cherub angel is swimming about the rock. I lost one shrimp, the feather dusters seems to be ok, and I don't think I exposed the sponge to any air.
Unfortunately, I'm not finished. I have to clean up and take down the other tank completely.

For this tank, I wanted to do something completely different to what I've done in the past. I decided to light one side of the tank only. Sponges aren't photosynthetic, and neither are the feathers. So I thought...I wouldn't mind doing a NPS side and a lighted side. I really like gorgonians and will eventually add some NPS ones along other NPS creatures. It looks totally strange, but I think I can get used to it.

Things to do: I'm going to attach my little DIY ATS, I need to get an ATO, and I need to get a bigger cleaning magnet.

Stay tuned for pictures...

OP
OP
MrDJeep123

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture Time!

_DSC0301-2.jpg

Plan on taking a snap of the darker side later. I've been busy today and remembered I need to upload a pic. Within time all the dusty bits will settle and things will look much, much better. :wacko:

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good man! did you get to go to the frag swap?

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see its up and going strong. Yea I went, there was some nice stuff. Picked up a lot of stuff from jfox and joe knows reef. Maybe next year you can go and we might do some trading.

OP
OP
MrDJeep123

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see its up and going strong. Yea I went, there was some nice stuff. Picked up a lot of stuff from jfox and joe knows reef. Maybe next year you can go and we might do some trading.

Nice! I wish I went. Pretty bummed I didn't. But like I said, I had to get this tank up. The tank itself set in the living room floor for longer than 3 weeks. Parts were everywhere else. lol

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel ya ive got a 40B sitting in my guest room that's been on my to do list for 6 months, hopefully I can put some of my other projects off so I can get it up soon.

OP
OP
MrDJeep123

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've reworked the scape a tiny bit. I moved the shaving brush to the middle on the edge of the light, moved the conch shell to the left, and I made it taper off a bit toward the middle. I had a coralline cluster that I broke up into smaller pieces and sprinkled them in the empty space. I wanted to go for a debris field of sorts.
On the far right, I've dubbed the "badlands." I moved the one rock and tonga branch back and over. Changed the feathers' positions accordingly.

The Pygmy/Cherub Angel is doing well. I haven't lost any inhabitants in the move and the corals remain open and appearing happy.

_DSC0362-2.jpg

_DSC0365-2.jpg

_DSC0361.jpg

_DSC0350.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
MrDJeep123

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few minor changes:

I moved the clam up on the rocks about 3 inches from the sandbed. The conch kept coming by and knocking it over as he scooted through.
I added 2 large shelf pieces from my previous tank that had dried out.
I did not attach my ATS. I decided that it would be counter-productive to my macro-algae.

Soon to be additions:
I'm going to add 2) Greenblotch Parrotfish, Sparisoma atomarium. They stay small, eat algae mainly, and are a fish I've not owned nor seen available.
I'm also going to add a Saddled Blenny, Malacoctenus triangulatus.

I still haven't exactly decided what to do in regards to corals. I'm going to look into acans, favias, and I would really like to add mainly millis for SPS.

Attachments

• _DSC0351-2.jpg
    _DSC0351-2.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 598
OP
OP
MrDJeep123

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
200+ views and 13 replies. Most of which are me. C'mon guys, give me some sort of feedback. You hate it. You like it. What would you change? Horrible idea. Something. *crickets*

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good!

OP
OP
MrDJeep123

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yay! Today I received my animals from KP Aquatics. Philipp was pretty awesome to talk to, he gave me a call yesterday in regards to my order. We, unfortunately, had phone issues. But based on my call and a few emails today, top notch guy.
They didn't have a saddled blenny and was replaced with another type of blenny. I was also given an extra gorgonia. Shipping was well done. Sadly, the weather took a change and it was cold. Not much can be done while things have already shipped except hope. There was a heat pack, but ya know how those things go.
One of the parrotfish was really stressed. I was disheartened and from my experience, super stressed fish usually don't make it. I slowly drip acclimated and gave him a few hours. He's now swimming around in the "badlands" with his mate. I'm pretty excited to see that he turned around.

Fish pictures will come when they are settled in. For now here's the gorgonias.

_DSC0400_zps86da698e.jpg

_DSC0411_zps69b5dbee.jpg

Back