View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is my post finally. First some not so great pics of the tank

0922140146_zpsrc7scpfr.jpg

10444781_10154190521150158_6302515483649299504_n.jpg

IMG_0113 2.jpg

And me enjoying the tank with my daughter..

10616046_10154468342195158_413727073750323564_n.jpg

So there are some meh pics. Now for some specs

Tank info: 180 gallon Aqueon glass tank 6x2x2 with custom coast to coast overflow and bean animal overflow
Sump: 40 gallon breeder Aqueon glass custom sump. Its very basic, it only has 2 sections. 1 is the overflow/fuge area, and the other is the return/heater/probe holder section
Refugium: My fuge takes up roughly half of my sump. it houses purple tip frogspawn, duncans and dragons breath macro algae. For lighting I use a 15" ReefBrite 50/50 led
Skimmer: Currently I am skimmer less. I pulled it offline about a year ago and have no regrets. But if anyone is curious it is a Euro Reef RS-250
Flow: For flow I use a mag24 for my return and 2 vortech mp40WES to keep things moving. The vortechs are running at 50% on short pulse anti sync. I used to have them on 100% but a lot of my sps would do nothing but encrust and give me no vertical growth. Since I turned them down about 3 months ago I have gotten tremendous vertical growth.
Lighting: I first set the tank up with MH. 2x 400 watt and 1x 250 watt. I pulled those in favor for radions and I ran those for a little over 2 years with great success. But I switched those out recently for 3x 250 watt MH radiums. So far I do not regret switching and the power consumption really isn't much different from the radions surprisingly.
Dosing/caRx: For dosing I dose 2 part via a Bubble Magus Doser.
Controller if any: I have an Apex Controller. Its the full system so it monitors ph and temp. I also got the PM2 module and conductivity probe to monitor salinity. Its set up pretty basic right now just using it for mostly monitoring. I also use a Tunze ATO with a 20 gallon XT as my RODI container
Maintenance info: Its a pretty easy schedule for me. I do a 15 gallon water change every sunday with Red Sea Coral Pro salt and RODI. I scrape the glass every 2 days with my mag float with scraper so my hand doesn't ever go in the tank. And I fill up my 1 gallon jugs of 2 part as needed. Thats really about it.
Stock list: So for fish I only have a few:
Powder Blue Tang(I've had him for almost 8 years now. Has been thru everything, 2 ich outbreaks where I lost everything but him and a couple other fish on this list.)
Desjanardi Sailfin Tang
Maldives lyretail anthias( had a trio but lost the 2 females in QT)
Pair of clownfish. 1 is a True Percula and the other is a ORA Semi Picasso clownfish.
ORA Springeri Dottyback
Yasha Goby(had a male/female pair but lost the female years back during a ich outbreak)
Melunarus Wrasse(male) I plan on getting a female soon
Cleaner wrasse(Ive had him for going on 8 years now. He eats everything and has survived 2 ich outbreaks and a velvet outbreak)
I to add a few more fish but I am very gun shy when it comes to adding fish anymore, even with QT. 3 times I have had almost complete losses because of fish. As for inverts I have a Coral banded shrimp, fire shrimp and cleaner shrimp. And your usual snails and hermit crabs. My tank is mostly SPS with a couple pieces of LPS scattered in there. And of course zoas for my wife since those are her favorite.

Some future plans for my tank are keep expanding my apex. Get a wet floor sensor, wire my doors so that my under cabinet lights come on when i open them. Add another EB8 as well. I really want to build a nicer sump out of another 40b i have laying around and redo my return plumbing. I also I want to replace my return pump with a DC pump and switch to black sand. And to DEF make my nice canopy for my halides, and wire up my t5s for it as well hahaha.

The list of ppl that I think helped me on this tank is pretty long. But to sum it up its basically all you guys and this forum. All I do is read, read ,read. Thank you R2R!

Now I guess I have to tag someone, so I guess I will tag Alicia(slojmn) to be next.

I hope I didn't forget anything lol

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So here is my post finally. First some not so great pics of the tank

0922140146_zpsrc7scpfr.jpg
10444781_10154190521150158_6302515483649299504_n.jpg
IMG_0113 2.jpg

So there are some meh pics. Now for some specs

Tank info: 180 gallon Aqueon glass tank 6x2x2 with custom coast to coast overflow and bean animal overflow
Sump: 40 gallon breeder Aqueon glass custom sump. Its very basic, it only has 2 sections. 1 is the overflow/fuge area, and the other is the return/heater/probe holder section
Refugium: My fuge takes up roughly half of my sump. it houses purple tip frogspawn, duncans and dragons breath macro algae. For lighting I use a 15" ReefBrite 50/50 led
Skimmer: Currently I am skimmer less. I pulled it offline about a year ago and have no regrets. But if anyone is curious it is a Euro Reef RS-250
Flow: For flow I use a mag24 for my return and 2 vortech mp40WES to keep things moving. The vortechs are running at 50% on short pulse anti sync. I used to have them on 100% but a lot of my sps would do nothing but encrust and give me no vertical growth. Since I turned them down about 3 months ago I have gotten tremendous vertical growth.
Lighting: I first set the tank up with MH. 2x 400 watt and 1x 250 watt. I pulled those in favor for radions and I ran those for a little over 2 years with great success. But I switched those out recently for 3x 250 watt MH radiums. So far I do not regret switching and the power consumption really isn't much different from the radions surprisingly.
Dosing/caRx: For dosing I dose 2 part via a Bubble Magus Doser.
Controller if any: I have an Apex Controller. Its the full system so it monitors ph and temp. I also got the PM2 module and conductivity probe to monitor salinity. Its set up pretty basic right now just using it for mostly monitoring. I also use a Tunze ATO with a 20 gallon XT as my RODI container
Maintenance info: Its a pretty easy schedule for me. I do a 15 gallon water change every sunday with Red Sea Coral Pro salt and RODI. I scrape the glass every 2 days with my mag float with scraper so my hand doesn't ever go in the tank. And I fill up my 1 gallon jugs of 2 part as needed. Thats really about it.
Stock list: So for fish I only have a few:
Powder Blue Tang(I've had him for almost 8 years now. Has been thru everything, 2 ich outbreaks where I lost everything but him and a couple other fish on this list.)
Desjanardi Sailfin Tang
Maldives lyretail anthias( had a trio but lost the 2 females in QT)
Pair of clownfish. 1 is a True Percula and the other is a ORA Semi Picasso clownfish.
ORA Springeri Dottyback
Yasha Goby(had a male/female pair but lost the female years back during a ich outbreak)
Melunarus Wrasse(male) I plan on getting a female soon
Cleaner wrasse(Ive had him for going on 8 years now. He eats everything and has survived 2 ich outbreaks and a velvet outbreak)
I to add a few more fish but I am very gun shy when it comes to adding fish anymore, even with QT. 3 times I have had almost complete losses because of fish. As for inverts I have a Coral banded shrimp, fire shrimp and cleaner shrimp. And your usual snails and hermit crabs. My tank is mostly SPS with a couple pieces of LPS scattered in there. And of course zoas for my wife since those are her favorite.

Some future plans for my tank are keep expanding my apex. Get a wet floor sensor, wire my doors so that my under cabinet lights come on when i open them. Add another EB8 as well. I really want to build a nicer sump out of another 40b i have laying around and redo my return plumbing. I also I want to replace my return pump with a DC pump and switch to black sand. And to DEF make my nice canopy for my halides, and wire up my t5s for it as well hahaha.

The list of ppl that I think helped me on this tank is pretty long. But to sum it up its basically all you guys and this forum. All I do is read, read ,read. Thank you R2R!

Now I guess I have to tag someone, so I guess I will tag Alicia(slojmn) to be next.

I hope I didn't forget anything lol

LOL People need to know that the green stuff encrusting on your rock bridge is actually a milli that refuses to branch and not algae. Ha ha ha! This setup is beautiful in person! I love it!

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL People need to know that the green stuff encrusting on your rock bridge is actually a milli that refuses to branch and not algae. Ha ha ha! This setup is beautiful in person! I love it!

Actually that is a pokerstar monti

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice Hybridazn. Is that a frag tank along the left wall? LEAR fragswap is in the works again for late February, will we see you there? Mdbannister, will you be attending as well?

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice Hybridazn. Is that a frag tank along the left wall? LEAR fragswap is in the works again for late February, will we see you there? Mdbannister, will you be attending as well?

Thanks, the tank along the wall is empty right now but I want to use it as a frag system but it's my wife's tank and she wants fish in it. Its a 120 gallon, but the dimensions are 72x24x18.

Yea I will def be at Lear again, I haven't missed one yet.

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If mdbannister keeps having babies he won't be able to afford any swaps lol

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I wouldn't miss it! That's the best reef event of the year around here!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is my post finally. First some not so great pics of the t

Tank looks great and LOVE the pic with your daughter!

OP
OP
afamousjohnson

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hybridazn - did you notify slojmn to let them know they've been tagged??? Any confirmation that they got the message? Stoked to see smore systems

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hybridazn - did you notify slojmn to let them know they've been tagged??? Any confirmation that they got the message? Stoked to see smore systems

Yea I pm'd her and told her. She said she was going to post but it might take a few days. That of course was a few days ago lol. I'll check in with her to touch base

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on it, sorry guys. It's been crazy this past week. I'll post up everything by tomorrow. Need to finish the write up and find some pictures.

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[FONT=&amp]I would like to thank George for tagging me in this fun thread.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
Tank info[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]: [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Custom Built 3’x3’x22” 120g Starphire cube by “I Can’t Remember”, I bought it used from a friend. It was my dream tank from the moment he got it, hehehehehehe. He had it set up for a while and decided to get a different tank when he moved. I jumped on purchasing it from him. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Sump[/FONT][FONT=&amp]: [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Melev’s Reef custom sump 15 ½” x 14” x 32” acrylic three part sump, 24g total. One section holds my skimmer, one section return, one section refugium.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Refugium[/FONT][FONT=&amp]: relatively small at 15 ½” X 14” x 9”, 7g. The refugium is one of the three compartments in the sump. It’s made really well and Marc is a great guy to deal with.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Skimmer: [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Reef Octopus Classic 220. This skimmer works like a beast and does the job I need it to do.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Flow:[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]I run three Vortech MP40wES powerheads and one Tunze stream along the black wall behind the rocks. I love vortechs but I have run into some issues with them over the years. I had one vortech magnet completely rust out and I believe it leached all sorts of nastiness into my tank years back. I also have had one wet side fail on me and one dry side fail on me. EcoTech has been great about replacements at reduced prices. Unfortunately I buy most of my vortechs used so they all have been running for quite a few years so no warranty coverage.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Lighting: [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Giesemann Spectra with 1x250 SE MH/4x24w T5’s supplemented with two ReefBright LED fixtures (Blue)[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]I run a cheap LED light over my refugium.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Dosing:[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]I dose 2-part BRS Calcium and alk via BSR dosers. I am planning on getting the new EcoTech dosing pump soon. It looks really nice. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]I have a really nice acrylic three part container by Melev’s Reef made to my specifications to fit under my tank.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Controlle[/FONT][FONT=&amp]r: I run the Apex Controller. It runs my lights, heater, fans, and dosing pumps. I also have a camera hooked up so I can see my tank from anywhere.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Maintenance info:[/FONT][FONT=&amp] I change out 15% of my water each week. Sometimes every 2 weeks, but mostly each week. I have my water system out in the garage with my run-off water going into the garden. I run a 70 foot line with a pump from my holding container into my sump once I have cleaned and removed the water from the main tank. It makes water changes pretty easy.[/FONT] I use ESV 4-part salt system and I absolutely love it. It's a bit expensive but is worth every penny.

[FONT=&amp]Stock List:[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Fish:[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp](2) Premium ORA Picasso Clowns[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]1 Sunburst Anthias[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]1 Choati Wrasse[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]1 Candy Basslet[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Corals:[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Lots of Zoas (too many to list)[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Lots of SPS (too many to list)[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Lots of LPS: fungias, chalices, blastos, scolys, a few favias and acans.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Lots of other cool stuff like:[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Colorado Sunburst nem[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Tie Dye Mushroom[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Red Devil Mushroom[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]A beautiful Rock nem….and a bunch more.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I have been keeping coral reef tanks for close to 20 years. What a ride it has been. More recently it has been a rather tough ride, 2014 has not been very good to me or my reef. I was dosing vinegar and PO4 remover in January. Within a few weeks of dosing I started noticing my corals reacting poorly and then the fish all came down with ich :sad:. I have not dealt with ich in 15 years or so thus I was not very well versed in dealing with it. I caught all 11 fish and placed them in quarantine after reading up on the best ways to handle ich in a reef tank. I decided to do the tank transfer method. My candy basslet, black tang, and mandarin goby did not make it through the tank transfer method. The other fish, except for my clownfish pair, did well and the ich went away. The clownfish just never got better. I eventually put them in a separate tank and dosed CP and they got way better. I put all of the fish in a holding tank once they were cleared up as I was leaving my main tank free of fish for four months. I lost one of my Choati wrasses in the holding tank after a few months. He died out of the blue as he had looked healthy and was eating well. In the end I have the five fish above who are all happy and healthy in my tank. It was yucky but I am glad to have saved the fish I have.
My corals have continued to struggle this year. I had two incidents of low alk, once in March and once in July. I also had two incidents of low temp, once time due to a dead heater, and once due to the earthquake in August. My tank went 7 hours before I could get my generator hooked up. In July (weeks prior to the earthquake) I had Johnny Searcy come to my house and rebuild my rock work. It’s AWESOME. My tank survived the Napa earthquake just fine thanks to the fact that he had secured all my rockscape into huge beautiful structures with overhangs. Despite how gorgeous it looks it took a toll on my tank along with the other events and I have been battling the losses of a number of my SPS. I cannot seem to stop the carnage except by moving my corals to my nanoreef. It is a 35g Solano that is happily motoring along so I have transferred a whole bunch of my SPS frags and small SPS colonies into that tank in hopes of saving as much of my collection as possible. Once I can get my main display settled and stable I will move those coral back . Every other coral in the main display is just fine, it’s only the SPS that have been affected. It has been an up and down year but this hobby has such an allure for me that I just can’t walk away from it no matter how bad it gets. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I have to give credit to all of the amazing reefers out there over the years that have inspired me, helped me, and shared their wisdom with me. I also have to give credit to Reef 2 Reef and a few other reef sites that I frequent for their continued support. And last but not least I have to give a ton of credit to my wonderful partner who puts up with this obsessive hobby and does whatever it takes to keep my tanks thriving. Without all of this support my tanks would not be the wonderful ecosystems that they are.

Here are a few pictures....I use to take tons of pictures of my previous tank and even had a website up and running on it. Now I don't have time to do all that so I have very few tank pictures. I did take two pictures of each side of the tank front view to capture the change in the rock work shortly after Johnny completed the structure and I had glued down a bunch of corals (hence all the plugs and putty). This was when I still had a lot of my SPS in the tank and I had not started moving them all to the nanoreef. Sorry I don't have a full tank shot but if you imagine both the pictures side by side that would be pretty close to a full tank shot :D.

2014-07-31 11.33.45.jpg
2014-07-31 11.32.38.jpg

2014-08-26 20.26.10.jpg

2014-07-13 14.36.44.jpg

2014-07-17 16.09.32.jpg

[/FONT]

Last edited:

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am tagging Neil, Apisto, for sharing next (I will let him know and hope he plays along).

A few more shots for you all.

2014-08-08 13.24.03.jpg

GodSpawn 2.jpg

Tierra Del Fuego colony 10-13 sm.jpg

Tierra Del Fuego 10-13 lg.jpg

MOP.jpg

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back