Tag Your It - lets play along

Apisto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be me. Thank you, Alicia, for the tag. It is a bit of a tough act to follow, even if Alicia's tank is not ideal right now, but here we go. First, I need to figure out the picture posting procedure.

My last few reef tanks have been primarily Acropora and Montipora with a few random LPS corals. I have had varying degrees of success with them, but was left somewhat unsatisfied, primarily because I wasn't really keeping the corals that I was most interested in.

The reason for that is that many of the corals that I was most drawn to were either very hard to come by or very expensive. With this current shallow 40 gallon tank from Advanced Acrylics I decided to take my time and acquire coral that I have always wanted. Many of these are deep water (or more appropriately smooth-skinned) Acropora.

The tank is now just about a year and a half old. And, finally, some of the frags that I have acquired I have finally started to grow into small colonies. All corals in my tank come from vendors or other hobbyist and all started has frags. Because this tank is so small I quickly ran out as a rock space for the Acropora that I wanted to keep, so about a year ago I turned my focus more towards interesting LPS corals. This has been a little bit of a new experience for me, as I have really not kept many LPS in the past. But, it has also been a learning experience and kept me quite interested during the long lull of slow growth associated with Acropora frags.

attachment.php

Apisto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, that seemed to work okay:bigsmile:

Tank info: Advanced Acrylics 40 gallon shallow tank(14†deep). I purchased the tank and stand from a Reefer here in Northern California. The dimensions are 32 X 20 X 14
Left Side
attachment.php

Right Side
attachment.php

Sump: 20g. Bubble Magus- 2 section sump w/ 3 baffles
Skimmer: Seaside Aquatics CS5.5
Flow: 2mp40w on the sides and 2 small tunze low on the back behind the rockwork to keep detritus from collecting undr the structures.
Lighting: Geissman Infinity 250w w/4 T5 and 2 reefbright LEDs on the front and back.
Dosing: 2 BRS Dosers for Ca and Alk and manual additions of Mag.
Controller: Apex Lite Controller.
Top-off: Tunze and a 5g. reservior that automatically fills from my RO
Maintenance info: I am on a 2-3 gallon water change every other day schedule right now that has been working well for me. I do small cleaning jobs along with a water change on occasion. Rarely do I do a big cleaning, as I am going for stability with this practice.
Stock list: Heavy stocking for a 40g, most from my last larger tank, that works well with my regular small WCs.
Fish: Melanarus Wrasse, pretty big Magnificent Foxface, Copperband Butterfly, 2 cardinals, anthius and a blue/green chromis.
Corals: SPS- primarily deepwaters, but others as well. LPS-primarily Chalices and Favias, but a few odds and ends here as well.

Apisto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The past few years I have really started viewing R2R more than the other forum that I have been a member of for a long time. I am really taken with all the new stuff out there, although I'm less taken with how much a lot of it costs. There are many very active members here and it is nice seeing the enthusiasm for reefing. It is much easier to keep it up within myself when I read about the excitement of so many others.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank and pictures apisto. Glad this thread got back going again. Can't wait to see some more, the ones posted already are top notch.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The past few years I have really started viewing R2R more than the other forum that I have been a member of for a long time. I am really taken with all the new stuff out there, although I'm less taken with how much a lot of it costs. There are many very active members here and it is nice seeing the enthusiasm for reefing. It is much easier to keep it up within myself when I read about the excitement of so many others.

Great pics!! Who are you tagging to keep the thread going?

Apisto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My tank is so packed right now that I really should not be adding anything else, but it seems like there is always another coral I “really” want. I recently got a Gryphon saw and have started cutting some of the LPS covering my tank floor in an attempt to give me more room, but until stuff heals and I can put them up for sale, it has just made the crowded conditions worse. I guess an upgrade is in my future.

Last couple of shots-

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks for the comments and the opportunity to show my little tank. I need a few minutes to think who to tag next.

Apisto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I am going to take a chance and tag Nuocmam. I have always loved the stuff he keeps, but have never seen a full-tank shot. He hasn't posted here for awhile, but I sent him a pm, so hopefully we can get him to post some of his beautiful corals!

OP
OP
afamousjohnson

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great stuff you 2! Loving the tanks and write ups! Well worth the wait. Bum - noucmam would've been sweet. Stoked to see the system brandon.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My tank is so packed right now that I really should not be adding anything else, but it seems like there is always another coral I “really” want. I recently got a Gryphon saw and have started cutting some of the LPS covering my tank floor in an attempt to give me more room, but until stuff heals and I can put them up for sale, it has just made the crowded conditions worse. I guess an upgrade is in my future.

Last couple of shots-

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks for the comments and the opportunity to show my little tank. I need a few minutes to think who to tag next.

Very nice, do you have a tank thread here on R2R?

Apisto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not doing too well at tagging here. Or more precisely, I not doing to well at getting responses to my tags. So, I am tagging afamousjohnson, the starter of this thread. I figure I can't go wrong with this one!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not doing too well at tagging here. Or more precisely, I not doing to well at getting responses to my tags. So, I am tagging afamousjohnson, the starter of this thread. I figure I can't go wrong with this one!

Ha ha! Yep! He's gotta play! :)

OP
OP
afamousjohnson

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh snap - thought I was gonna breeze thru this one.lol

I'll bite - glad to help keep it rollin. Be getting some stats up today as I work around this stinkin po4 issue that popped up out of nowhere in a 72hr period.

OP
OP
afamousjohnson

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
300093761_photobucket_165226_.jpg

Quick update of whats under the hood:
Tank/Tanks-
My tank is a bit over 2 years old. Set it up on my birthday in 2012. I was inspired by all of the great bonsai theme scapings that are out there and tried to design something in the area that was within my capabilities.lol It ended up more of a shelf scape or floating island than a bonsai but still cool. It was my 1st project like this and looking back now there are many things I would change.
90g DT - all glass - bought used and dirty - drilled with overflow kit
40g-ish sump - probably a 30-40year old/or more tank(lol)(with a repaired blown out side) I converted into diy sump w/3 chambers
drains to 1st chamber with heater/skimmer/ calrx feed pump and sock on FT drain
2nd chamber is wasted space with sand cheato etc and into the 3rd where my returns are along with ato
20g FT
5g fuge (all within same system)section box tank full of everything plus some sexys and pom poms/mushrooms/xenia and lots of macro
100# LR with 50# started dry reefsaver shelves
115# sand(when I started.lol)
There is about 110-115gallons of actual total water volume running thru the system

Lighting-
DT 2x250w MH with 4x 65w PC actinic suppliment(love halides but hate this specific fixture - one of the cheapies) 6x moonlights
I run my halides around 5 hours a day with the actinics running the length of the day. My sump/fuge is run on an opposite cycle at night
Sump-par 38 led bulb
Fuge 2x 24" T-5
FT diy rapid led strip plus 2x 24" t-5

Flow-
Jabeo dc-12000 return
DT-WP-40, hydor 1050, hydor 1400, sicce 1200, sicce 1650
FT-hydor 1050, wp-10
Fuge-small old school PH to push flow thru fuge 650 hydor

Filtration/Eqiupment:
350w heater w/backup 250w
Coralife cal reactor w/millwakee controller
Apex lite - and not being used to its potential I might add - need another EB8
2x cooling fans(1DT 1sump)
Tunze ATO
1 sock
EuroReef USA 250 skimmer fed by a mag modded with mesh
2x two little fishs 150 reactors-1 carbon, 1 GFO
5g Fuge

Feeding/Stocklist/maitenece
I feed light(every other day few times a week) sometimes every day lately
feed pretty much everything and have started being more consistant on feeding corals
Stocked with a handful of fish n critters with even more handfuls of coral
2 clowns - yellow tang - mellunarus wrasse - bangii - 2 large chromis - sunburst anthias - mandarin - 2 cleaner shrimp - 1 clam
Coral list:
ya right.lol
Maitnence is anytime I can do it -
5g WC weekly
change GFO and carbon monthly
sump difficult to get into so not much there unless im feeling energetic - same with pumps - I clean when theres a problem.lol

Params:
Mag-1300?
huh.gif
? who knows - can never get a confirmed accrate reading
Cal- 400
Alk- 8
Phos-0.00-0.03 Except recently last week had something get into the tank and within 72 hrs had raised my po4 to 2.03 - so crazy - have now gotten it to .36 and still being exported
S.G.-1.024
temp-78-80 swing on day to night
PH- can swing throughout the day - 7.9 - 8.2/8.3

future plans -
add manifold - build 40g breeder sump and add - redo electric and make electric box - redo plumbing - set up cube - lighting?
huh.gif

special thanks goes out to all reefers and our community of them from north to south - many of you guys have been both helpful and inspirational in building my system - thank you - all the friends I have made within the hobby
the clubs in our areas have been a huge help in training me to the point I am at today
thumbsup.gif
and over filling my tank with corals - thanks a lot.lol
sign10.gif

Here is a link to my tank thread in the case anyone is interested
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/member-tanks/102128-afamouss-90-gallons-under-hood.html

Now I'll get some pics up and pass on the torch

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 64 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.2%
Back