Tag Your It - lets play along

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks! That reef was fun but got so cramped. The size was nice but way too small to have a tang or two. I think that alone would have helped keep a lot of algae at bay. In retrospect I wouldn't have done anything much different. It's a pretty small foot print and looking forward to a lot bigger tank!

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Andy, that tank was gorgeous!! Does the new one have water in it yet??

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Krista. Not yet:( just hung the lights and working on the electrical and saving up for rock. I'm going through coral withdraw!!!! I'll be posting up some new pics tomorrow, water is right around the corner.

Last edited:

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow very nice. I love small shallow tanks like that. Can't wait to see what you do with the big tank. Been following the build thread and it's coming along very nicely.

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and No...some I have in a friends reef others I sold. A lot of them I can get back again a few I can't and made sure they would be kept safe in another reef until I'm ready to get a frag back.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Andy's reef was one of the sexiest reefs I have ever seen online or in person (so glad that I got to see this one in person! That's right! The rest of you are so jealous now...)! Can't wait to see what he does with that monster he's setting up!! Of course...I am hoping it has water in it before I have grandchildren... :tongue:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes and No...some I have in a friends reef others I sold. A lot of them I can get back again a few I can't and made sure they would be kept safe in another reef until I'm ready to get a frag back.

I have a few pieces of yours in my tank. :thumb: ...but they're lps...

Btw, did you tag anyone? I couldn't find it.

Last edited:

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kind words D! O yeah I need to tag someone! Let's see hmmmm...........How about kingator! PM sent!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
afamousjohnson

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great stuff andy! I to look forward to seeing the new finished product.

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No response from kingator :( So I'll have to pick again. How about.............kschweer!!! PM sent!

Last edited:

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No response from kingator :( So I'll have to pick again. How about.............kschweer!!! PM sent!

Thanks man. I'll play. Just a fair warning if you guys are expecting a tank like the previous ones I'm sorry my tank isn't as nice...lol. Working on the specs now and I'll get some pictures together too. Should be posted when I get done with work tomorrow evening.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks man. I'll play. Just a fair warning if you guys are expecting a tank like the previous ones I'm sorry my tank isn't as nice...lol. Working on the specs now and I'll get some pictures together too. Should be posted when I get done with work tomorrow evening.

Looking forward to it! 1smile1

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yaay, let's keep this thread going!

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1412641191.054913.jpg

-Tank info: maker/brand/glass or acrylic, dimensions/ size in gallons

57g rimless oceanic 36"x18"x21". Sits on a stand I built, made the stand 36" tall for easier viewing.

-Sump: brand/ maker/ glass or acrylic, dimensions/ size in gallons

I used an old acrylic sump that was laying around and modified it to fit the needs of this tank a little better. Dimensions are 27.75"x14"x16" with a water level of 10". Holds about 17g.

-Refugium: if any, and any info on it like dimensions etc

I don't run a "traditional" fuge. Just have some live rock and cheato in the first section of the sump. I put some
extra rock here since I didn't use too much in the display.

-Skimmer: make/model, likes dislikes, etc

Skimmer is a reef octopus dnwb-110. It's a recirculating (external) skimmer that is fed by my return pump. I really like the recirculating skimmers I feel I can adjust them a bit more than an in sump skimmer.
-Flow: powerheads/ closed loops / make/model, how many, likes dislikes, etc

Return pump is a jebao dc6000. The pump is adjustable and I run it on the middle setting. Flow in tank comes from 1 mp10 running 100% in nutrient transport mode and a jebao wp25 on W1 S3. I am considering adding a second mp10 as well. I like the jeabo, just like the extra controllability of the mp10's more.

-Lighting: make/model, what kind (mh, t5, LEDs, etc), how many, Refuge light?, any other info

I run a Tek elite 6x39w t5 set up with 6 cree royal blue leds retrofitted to the front. The elite is the tek fixture with cooling fans. Bulb combo is front to back:
Blue+
Blue+
Coral+
Blue+
Purple+
Blue+
Leds are just for accent. I plan to remove them and add a reefbrite strip. The few leds I have look ok with just the 2 blue+ bulbs but are just about totally washed out with all bulbs on. Light schedule is 3-11 so I can see it when I get home from work, it's usually fairly late when I get home. I love my t5s and would have a hard time switching to anything else. Love the color and growth I get with them. My refuge light is a simple electric work box wired to a timer on reverse schedule to main lights. Bulb is a simple cfl bulb as of right now. Plan to change to an LED par 38

-Dosing/caRx: what make/model, other associated accessories, any info

As of right now dosing is pretty low on my tank. At the moment it's zoa dominated with a few SPS and LPS scattered in. I am manually dosing right now using brightwell code A and B for cal and alk and kent tech-m for mag. I will be installing dosing pumps in the near future when work slows down a bit.

-Controller if any: brand/make /model, what does it control, modules, any info

No controller on the tank as of now. I have a reef angel waiting for me to build a cabinet for all the wiring and controller. This will be when the dosers come into play as well. I am more a diy woodworking guy and I'm not good with computers at all so a friend of mine will be helping me write the code and getting everything running. Only thing I need for it is the wifi module.

-Maintenance info: when, what, how?

I do religious 10% water changes weekly. I also use a turkey baster to blow off the rocks before my water changes. Filter socks are changed every 2-3 days or so and carbon/GFO monthly. T5 bulbs are changed just about every 9 months.
-Stock list: fish/corals with dominant coral within system/inverts/cuc/etc.

Fish:
3 red firefish
Pair of proquatics snowflake clowns
Mystery wrasse
I plan on adding a few more but not too many. My wish list includes borbonius anthias, flame wrasse, swissgaurd basslet, and a few barnacle blennys. Probably won't get them all but those are the ones I keep an eye out for.
CUC:
I have a mix of Scarlett hermits, blue leg hermits, trochus snails, astrea snails, cerith snails, a turbo snail, tiger conch and some nassarius snails.
Corals:
As I stated before right now the tank is zoa dominant. I have a decent amount of different morphs including:
Everlasting gobstoppers
JF acid reflux
Laser lemons
Pink zipper
JF daisy duke
Sunny d's
Black rainbows
ARC poinsettia
Wwc pink krak
Wwc twizzler
JF bloodshot
Blue lagoon
CC Aussie pink lemonade
ASD hyper candy
Pz cyberdemon
Wwc black orchids
Latin lover
Red hornet
CC vamps in drag
White velvet
There's a few more "named" pieces and a decent amount of unnamed ones as well. One thing I am happy I did with this tank is keeping a list of everything that goes in and where it came from
LPS:
Random acan
Scoly
Orange frogspawn
SPS:
Ora pearlberry
Unknown green acro
Limade acro
Also a few unnamed montis

-Anything else you want us to know: history on tank, future plans, who you feel deserves some credit for your tank, etc, etc

This tank is essentially a rebuild. My previous tank was setup for a little over 3 yrs but was lost while I was evacuated for 9 days during hurricane sandy. I told my girlfriend when we were able to get back to our house that if the tank was destroyed I was done with it. Long story short the tank was a 95% loss, but because of people on this site and especially my local forum/club njreefers I built this new setup taking my time and fixing things I did not like about my old system. I couldn't be happier that I did, this hobby gives me peace of mind and keeps me out of trouble at times....lol. Thanks for reading guys.

P.S. I apologize in advance for my terrible photography.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 72 29.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 69 28.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 51 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back