OP
ferchb

ferchb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure at all just going off the pictures I've seen and as fast as it developed then took over

OP
OP
ferchb

ferchb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates :/ How's the orange clown?
Thanks for your interest. Just got home for work and she is alive but still infected. Dipping again at the moment. I'm stuck. I don't know what the parasite is. If I put the clown in qt with the Angel there's a strong chance the Angel gets infected. If I leave the clown and keep treating she could get better but the parasite is still in the water.

OP
OP
ferchb

ferchb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I spent a lot of time researching last night. I do think its Marine Velvet. Tried to come to the best solution. I wonderedgetting into the contest why so many people drop off by the end. Now I can completely see how that happens. Crazy to see the tank pictures from just a week ago. We went from two clowns and a royal gramma to an empty tank. I debated between a total teardown and restart to running fishless for the next few months. Consulted with my buddy that runs the LFS. I've decided to keep it up and running but am taking the gamble and treating the remaining clown with the bicolor angel that was already in QT. The female clown got an hour long saltwater paraguard dip last night with another 3ml. Today I gave her a freshwater dip with 6ml of paraguard to 2 gallons of water. From there she went into the QT which I had given a half dosage of Copper Power. Hopefully they are both strong and come through treatment 100%. The nano will have to remain fallow for minimum 30 days from what I've read. I've actually read different timelines but I don't want to go through this again so I'll extend an added month.

Under the actinics you can really see how infected she has gotten.
and harder to see in full light

So far the QT has received 15ml of Copper Power.

Pardon the dirty glass but here the is the clown and angel in QT. Hopefully this is not the last you see of them.

BrittaniPearl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She looks like a fighter <3 sending positive thoughts your way, looks like you're doing everything possible to save them :)

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with all this. Another treatment you can try is never wear a Giants jersey while watching the tank. Nothing good can come from it :)

Signed,
Dodgers Fan

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sincerely hope you're able to get past this disease and am sorry you've experienced it. Marine velvet is a fast spreading very harsh disease and usually kills pretty quickly. I think it's a positive that your clown is still alive so I'm thinking that's a good sign that it's a strong fish and will survive!

OP
OP
ferchb

ferchb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright its been a few days. The clown and Angel are both still swimming. Added the second dose of copper power so it should be treating 20gallons. I think the QT is a 29. Its not full but I need to pick up a copper test. Wish they made a parasite test that would make life a lit easier. I started another thread but never got a clear answer. I'm assuming I'm okay to continue to add coral to the nano while in fallow? The way I understand it velvet only infects fish but I'm not 100%. Here are a few tank pics.

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,I am glad your fish are still swimming.You can add new corals to your nursery tank.Looks like it's in the algae bloom stage of the cycling process.I would recommend testing your water parameters before the new additions.Don't forget to dip!.I would keep close tabs of your QT parameters as well.In my experience the nitrates can rise rapidly in a copper system.Best of luck to you and all your little ones!

OP
OP
ferchb

ferchb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,I am glad your fish are still swimming.You can add new corals to your nursery tank.Looks like it's in the algae bloom stage of the cycling process.I would recommend testing your water parameters before the new additions.Don't forget to dip!.I would keep close tabs of your QT parameters as well.In my experience the nitrates can rise rapidly in a copper system.Best of luck to you and all your little ones!
Thanks for answering my question. I assumed the parasite needed a fish to survive but you never know. I'm not sure what's up with the algae bloom because the tank has been up since April. The one positive with no fish I can focus on cleaning that up and building a better aquascape.

OP
OP
ferchb

ferchb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luck is definitely not involved with this tank whatsoever. Thank you for the link. I think I read it during my initial research. That's what I based my 8 week fallow on. Plus it gives an extra month for the fish to heal.

Went out to the qt to feed before work and found the bicolor angel upside down. I scooped her to get a closer look and it swam around but its definitely in a downward spiral. It was hard to tell if it now has velvet or if it is something else. I'm assuming it won't survive the day. I will probably pull the clown and give another freshwater dip tonight. Still can't understand how it got into the system but surprised at how strong and tolerant this clown has been.

OP
OP
ferchb

ferchb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bicolor didn't make it yesterday. Hard not to feel the blame knowing the clown was infected when I added her to the qt.

Algae is looking a lot better but not a 100% gone since changing the filtration. Noticed a drastic drop on the skimming. Hoping the remaining algae melts away and the corals take off since the water should be pretty clean running without fish. Kind of a boring tank at the moment need to do something about that.

BrittaniPearl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if it'll help but I was told that if I couldn't positively id what disease my clowns had that I should treat the qt with copper, then pull for quick cure dips. I just make sure they get rinsed off in another bucket of tank water before they go back in, that way brook/cryp/velvet are all covered. Sorry for your loss :(

OP
OP
ferchb

ferchb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if it'll help but I was told that if I couldn't positively id what disease my clowns had that I should treat the qt with copper, then pull for quick cure dips. I just make sure they get rinsed off in another bucket of tank water before they go back in, that way brook/cryp/velvet are all covered. Sorry for your loss :(
I have treated with copper power but I wish I would have tried cupramine. I can't find anything on Copper Power or there manufacturer so not sure how to test the copper level. I dont have a light on the qt and its in the garage so its hard to tell if the clown is doing better. I do need to be better about pulling her out for dips.

OP
OP
ferchb

ferchb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey how's the clown?
Thanks for the interest. She's still kickin. I didn't realize it had been that long already. I felt like I didn't have much to report since there's nothing really in my tank. I know I'm not in the running for the contest but I should give some update pics. I didn't realize my tank had cleated up as much as it has. I got a call from a friend of mine that he was moving to work out of a new shop and will have a lot more corals for sale. Maybe I'll get a few new pieces this weekend.

OP
OP
ferchb

ferchb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here are a series of shots

Right Side

Joker and Shroom

Left Side

Coralline starting

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back