Hardy livestock fit for a newbie?

bclark1289

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new and trying to figure out what to do as far as livestock. What types of corals, fish, and inverts are easiest to care for? The tank i will be getting more than likely will be a 90 gal custom made tank. I willalso be making a custom sump for it. Will a 20gal sump be big enough?

Jc_ellis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soft corals such as zoas, mushrooms, and leathers are pretty easy. Clownfish, wrasses, even a bristletooth tang for fish. All inverts are pretty much maintenance free as long as they don't have a special diet.

But, be careful in just choosing stuff that is easy to care for, your tastes will probably change and it is very hard at times to catch and remove the easy, hardy stuff that is bought in the beginning...

ReeferRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple. Soft corals mushrooms xenia anems polyps zoas. Buttons all the good stuff. As far as fish. In a reef tank u only need a few fish couple clown chromis work nice for starters

OP
OP
bclark1289

bclark1289

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably start with a couple clown pairs and a few anemonies maybe an invert or two then build from there.. How do clowns usually do when they have been the only fish for a while, then you add other qfish? I am going for a pretty friendly reef for my first tank.

3dees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a couple of clown pairs will be a disaster. a 90 is much too small for more than one pair. do you have a qt? If not then I would stay away from tangs. they are Ich magnets and need to be treated in a qt. many choices for a 90. a one spot foxface will help clean up algae and is a peaceful fish. there are a ton of wrasses to choose from. a dwarf angel would be good but wait till the tank is mature. as reeferrookie said soft corals are the easiest and don't require intense lighting or feeding. just research before adding anything and go slow.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with 3dees.....stick to a pair of clowns vs. multiples - I would generate a list of possible fish you'd like to keep and then determine the best order to add them. Clowns, chromis, gobies, wrasses (need a good cover on the tank for these) and dwarf angels are some hardy fish. Try to stay away from damsels (other than clowns) although they are hardy they can become very aggressive and then hard to catch once established in your tank. Unfortunately, an anemone is not considered an "easy beginner" choice - they need solid water parameters (a more mature tank) and strong lighting. In terms of corals, as others have said, mushrooms, zoas, and other softies can be good beginners.

ReeferRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However i do agree anemones are not starting quality. They do need a more stable tank and require more attention

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90 gallons is alot of room for 1 pair of clowns i have a pair of clowns in a 36g 0.0.

Having multiple pairs of clowns in a tank this size is asking for disaster once they mature. They will become territorial and fight like cats and dogs. It is possible to pull off occasionally, but usually they will fight until you end up with one pair.

ReeferRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So then he gets a show? Lol. Can he have two.different species ? If this is the case. Then how about the thread clown harem. 15 clowns in one tank

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the question in the thread was asking about beginner fish - it wouldn't be recommended to try a harem as a beginner.....

ReeferRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sayinf try it. Im just asking how do clowns work in that enviorment and not get along in just his reef. I did.suggest only (pair ) of clowns im just more curious now

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So then he gets a show? Lol. Can he have two.different species ? If this is the case. Then how about the thread clown harem. 15 clowns in one tank

That was done by a professional for one. Two, a harem can be pulled off if all the clowns are from tge same clutch of eggs. Otherwise its almost impossible to pull off. Yes, on occasion (rarely) multiple pairs are kept in the same tank. Lots of the threads you see with multiple different species in one tank is because its short lived. Sure they might not be an issue together for 6 months, but as time goes on disaster is almost garanteed.

Two different species is also something that's rare. Its not completely impossible because a habdful of hobbyists have a pair of two different species, for example one ocellaris paired with a maroon. Those results aren't typical.

The OP is in his own words "newbie" so advising to have 2 pairs or a harem is not good advice.

Last edited:

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely suggest one pair of same species clown but without an anemone at first. Other good choices for this tank would be royal gramma, blennys, some wrasse, bristletooth tang, cardinals and gobies. Just be sure to research the requirements of each fish to make sure you provide the right conditions. Some fish require lots of rock or sandbeds.

OP
OP
bclark1289

bclark1289

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do clowns fare without an anem? I just said a couple pairs, because i was told pairs dont always couple.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns don't have to have a host anemone. The majority of the time the anemone will host the clowns even if they have been in a system without one. It may take them a while to find the anemone and need encouragement. Don't laugh too hard, but showing the clowns in your tank a picture of an anemone hosting clowns works.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back