Hardy livestock fit for a newbie?

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works the majority of the time. Sometimes it takes minutes, other times it can take weeks. Lots of people have used this with success. It will also help if you provide the clowns with a compatible anemone to host them.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Research the clowns you're interested in and find out which anemones they prefer

OP
OP
bclark1289

bclark1289

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my plans for the 90 fell through and i had to settle with a 55 gal as my first tank. Looking at cleaning crews right now. What is a good crew for a 55gal or do i not need any?

Tx Medic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will but don't add them till you need them they won't have anything to eat and can die and cause ammonia spikes in an newly cycled tank. And also I would stay away from hermit crabs I don't trust them some will eat your coral and tear them up when you feed.

OP
OP
bclark1289

bclark1289

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang i was looking forward to some hermits :/ i hear they have good character. Have any suggestions for a replacement?

Tx Medic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang i was looking forward to some hermits :/ i hear they have good character. Have any suggestions for a replacement?
I'm going with trochus snails, nassarius, fighting conch, couple turbos, and some cerith. Maybe a brittle star after my tank has been running for a while.

OP
OP
bclark1289

bclark1289

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soback when i said i was going for a 90 gal a few of you mentioned bristletooth tangs. Are they still compatable with my new plan sfor a 55 gal?

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soback when i said i was going for a 90 gal a few of you mentioned bristletooth tangs. Are they still compatable with my new plan sfor a 55 gal?

Go to www.reefcleaners.org
They have pre-made cleanup crews at a good price and they give you a variety of different snails and hermits if you chose. Which I like hermits, they go places that snails don't and I've never really had a problem with them. Just make sure you keep extra shells for them.

Chpaige

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been into tanks now for 10 years, the most important thing I found when I started out was research, research, research... Then patience (not my strongest ability)!
Clowns are Clowns plain and simple, you can not predict what they will or will not do in the least. I have had many breeds over the years, not together, I have found some (Maroon Females) to be more agressive then others (Percula). They will typically find a spot and spend the majority of their time there, however will not hesitate to swim the entire length of the tank to harrass another tank mate. Your tank will take time to cycle, I would not reccomend placing ANYTHING in there during that time frame generally I have found that 4-6 weeks worked for me. You can by a bacteria culture to add to the tank to help the cycle along, which is why it cycles to begin with, your Ammonia will spike, as your bacteria colonies grow, they will then turn your Ammonia into Nitrite and further convert that into LESS toxic Nitrate. There are many thing you can and will place in your tank over time, just remember add a little at a time as the animals will all excrete and with the addition of food, help to move your parameters out of whack. Live Rock 1-2 lbs per Gallon, natural bio filter. Cleanup Crew - Snails, Brittle Starfish (generally will hitch hike on live rock), you can utilize hermits, stick with the regular blue leg (Not the electric), Emerald crabs (I suggest holding it first, if it tries to pinch you, then go for a different one, as this is a sign of aggression) Fish - Clowns (just my suggestion, find a type that you like, eg mine is gold stripe maroons, get 2 one will outgrow the other quickly the larger of the two will become he female), Chromis', Wrases, Gobys, I would stay away from the larger Angel species as their diet generally consists of corals in the wild. I have found that the coral beauty and pygmys offer better options, even the beautiful flame has been observed nipping at a chalice and favia. Tangs I would suggest you research as well just like the angels some are good and some are bad. Stay away from Triggers, Lions, and dogfaced puffers! Corals - Once your tank has cycled and your Ammonia and Nitrites are at 0 and your Nitrates are at .20 or below then start adding corals, again can't stress enough... RESEARCH, you can keep many, many different types of corals in your tank, however some like Zoas and Palys produce toxins where as some like Galaxia and torch have stinging catalyst. Ask yourself, do you want awe inspiring color and short polyps, like Zoas and Palys? Do you want nice flowing things like green star polyps that grow on a mat type surface, do you want long polyp Stonies flowing things like euphillia aka Frogspawn, Torch, Hammer? The biggest thing to not get into just yet are going to be your NPS or Non Photo Synthetic like gorgonians, Tubastereas, fans. The prestine water demanding Acroporas, the dragonet or mandarin fish family as your pod count will be low. Whatever you decide to go with, research the light and water movement requirements, as well as husbandry practices and stay on top of your water changes which will help to keep your parameters in check and you will do just fine. Hope that helps! :)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 66 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.1%
Back