Zoa nips?

RafaelAtkinsonJr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exactly is going on with my zoas? All parameters motile. Looks like their polyp lashes are being pulled back and the center part is protruding!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1418096148607.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418096148607.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 372
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418096174727.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418096174727.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 353

WindeyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had some palys do that in the past, never figured out why

NobleSun27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do look like they are reaching, notice how long the bases or stems are, maybe see about putting them higher in the tank and see if that changes anything.

OP
OP
RafaelAtkinsonJr

RafaelAtkinsonJr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes thought thinkin it might be the light, but ive had them for about 7 months and they have never looked like that, but i guess zoas will do what they like!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd get a cheapie lux meter online (around $15) so you have a way lot measure your light's output. You just want to know if you're providing "full sunlight" conditions at the water surface - nothing more complicated than that.

A decent lux measurement from one of these cheapie meters is accurate enough to tell you this. Roughly, any lux between 10,000 and 80,000 should be adequate.

Much better than guessing! :)

-Matt

Dr.Reefgood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Paly's that do this from time to time. No zoas though. Usually after a water change or sticking my arm in the tank. Sometimes after feeding. They always go back to normal so i never think twice about it. My experiences.

lionfish5740

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few different colonies that do that randomly and they're fine. I usually notice it after feeding the corals. I don't get to stare at my tank as often as I would like so they might or might not do it other times also.

OP
OP
RafaelAtkinsonJr

RafaelAtkinsonJr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this last night on those Zoas. Anyone know what it is? I though it was algae hair but I took it out, put it in a shallow cup and it was "swaying" back and forth on its own. Could this be a harmful bug of some sort?

OP
OP
RafaelAtkinsonJr

RafaelAtkinsonJr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya figured that out. Lol thanks. I did a dip using peroxide and about 20 of those worms came out... Now my Zoa looks alot better and are fully opened

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd get a cheapie lux meter online (around $15) so you have a way lot measure your light's output. You just want to know if you're providing "full sunlight" conditions at the water surface - nothing more complicated than that.

A decent lux measurement from one of these cheapie meters is accurate enough to tell you this. Roughly, any lux between 10,000 and 80,000 should be adequate.

Much better than guessing! :)

-Matt

How does a LUX Meter differ from a PAR Meter?

Why is one 15.00 while the other is 300-400 ?

All I ever hear about is measuring your Light with a PAR Meter.

I have never even heard of a LUX Meter before.

SeeingGreen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lux is a measure of how luminous something is. Par is the photo reactive part of light.

In theory a high lux 690nm bulb and a high lux 550nm could output the same lux, but would have much different Par values. Because less of the 550 is absorbed.

That's why 420nm light is a "Par monster" the same luminous output results in higher Par values because it is more readily used.

At least that is how I understand it based on the reading I've done.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1419626833150.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419626833150.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 185

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, what PAR and lux meters have in common is important:
  • Neither is accurate at measuring reef lighting.
  • Neither will give a sensible reading of a single-wavelength LED lamp.
  • Both are tools for measuring white light.
  • Both tools interpret light into electrical signal and from electrical signal into a numeric display.
  • Most often they are calibrated to something like a 5500K light source. (Sunlight.)
How they differ is simply1 how they interpret that electrical signal:
  • A lux meter tries to interpret it like an eyeball.
  • A PAR meter tries to interpret it like a green plant.
It takes a meter of either kind in the $x,xxx range of cost to really have accurate numbers anyway, so we should put "accurate" out of out heads. No need for it anyway.

For our uses in judging whether our reef lights, which always have a significant white light component, are bright enough (mounted high enough, etc), a lux meter will give the best bang for your buck and be accurate enough.

-Matt

P.S. My only theory about why lux meters aren't promoted more is that the silly-low price means NOBODY is making any money off of them. I only promote them cuz I find them very handy. :)

1 Technically, there can be some serious differences in how the light is collected into that electrical signal as well, but not so much on the the cheap end of the spectrum.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lux is a measure of how luminous something is. Par is the photo reactive part of light.

In theory a high lux 690nm bulb and a high lux 550nm could output the same lux, but would have much different Par values. Because less of the 550 is absorbed.

That's why 420nm light is a "Par monster" the same luminous output results in higher Par values because it is more readily used.

At least that is how I understand it based on the reading I've done.

So are you saying that Corals "Use Up" more Blue Light and less White Light?

In the past I was always told that White Light was for Growth while Blue Light makes your Corals look better but they would grow slower.

Has that theory been proven wrong?

Will all Blue Lights give the best growth in Coral.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, what PAR and lux meters have in common is important:
  • Neither is accurate at measuring reef lighting.
  • Neither will give a sensible reading of a single-wavelength LED lamp.
  • Both are tools for measuring white light.
  • Both tools interpret light into electrical signal and from electrical signal into a numeric display.
  • Most often they are calibrated to something like a 5500K light source. (Sunlight.)
How they differ is simply1 how they interpret that electrical signal:
  • A lux meter tries to interpret it like an eyeball.
  • A PAR meter tries to interpret it like a green plant.
It takes a meter of either kind in the $x,xxx range of cost to really have accurate numbers anyway, so we should put "accurate" out of out heads. No need for it anyway.

For our uses in judging whether our reef lights, which always have a significant white light component, are bright enough (mounted high enough, etc), a lux meter will give the best bang for your buck and be accurate enough.

-Matt

P.S. My only theory about why lux meters aren't promoted more is that the silly-low price means NOBODY is making any money off of them. I only promote them cuz I find them very handy. :)

1 Technically, there can be some serious differences in how the light is collected into that electrical signal as well, but not so much on the the cheap end of the spectrum.

So if LUX Meters do the job then why do so many people pay 300 to 400 for PAR Meters?

Yet nobody uses the 15.00 LUX Meter?

SeeingGreen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Par is actually more on how the different chlorophyll react, based on that chart. A a far as growth rates, couldn't tell you with any degree of certainty. I have had decent growth with just blues, but I don't do a while lot with sps so it is likely there are different answers for different corals. Based on the availability of different spectrum at their collection depths, I would guess that deeper water species do better with more blue. Thinks that have access to more white light likely enjoy better growth with more white exposure.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if LUX Meters do the job then why do so many people pay 300 to 400 for PAR Meters?

Yet nobody uses the 15.00 LUX Meter?

I think those are excellent questions! :xd:

In most cases I think it's a simple matter of reefers rabbit hunting with a bazooka. (Overkill.)

If PAR meters were to cost no more than a lux meter, then I think either tool would pass for our purposes. But they cost 10x to 25x more than a lux meter, so here I am getting the job done with my lux meter. ;)

(If you're interested, you should read back into my older posts...I've got several on using a lux meter.)

-Matt

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back