14 year old wanting to start a tank!

jamesmyers14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I used to have a 20 long saltwater tank never was successful I never did it right been like 2 years since I've had a aquarium. I want to start a new one something small that will be very easy to manage low cost and everything done right. I've only got like 200$ for this it needs to be very easy maintenece and be able to be successful. I have lighting already that should work it's the marinelnd led it's big but can be fitted onto a 10 gallon it's bright and is led. But I've watched videos on saltwater tanks and done research. I just need a setup that's very easy maintenece no real mess and not very expensive.

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Do you know what of tank you want to keep?? Fish only? Or do you want keep corals too?

OP
OP
jamesmyers14

jamesmyers14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Do you know what of tank you want to keep?? Fish only? Or do you want keep corals too?

I'd be happy with just the Beuty of fish but if I could support corals that wouldn't need much that be awesome to

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10gal is a little small to start with . I think Petco still has Tanks a $1 gal sale . I would get a 29 gal or the 40 breeder to start with , much easier to handle then a 10 gal . I started with a 20 gal long time ago .ended up with a 55gal back in the 70`s . Good luck with your project .

Last edited:
OP
OP
jamesmyers14

jamesmyers14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10gal is a little small to start with . I think Petco still has a $1 gal sale . I would get a 29 gal or the 40 breeder to start with , much easier to handle then a 10 gal . I started with a 20 gal long time ago .ended up with a 55gal back in the 70`s . Good luck with your project .

I've actually got a old 29 gallon

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be better , I have one with fish and mixed corals ,which does well using kalkwasser in the ATO

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start slow , it takes a while to set up and cycle anyway , go basics first , I like the BRS vid`s on U-tube

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stick with just fish first. After a while when you get the hang of keeping your parameters steady you can add a couple easy corals and see how it goes. Do you think you would have a sump? (Not absolutely needed, but will determine your set up)

OP
OP
jamesmyers14

jamesmyers14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stick with just fish first. After a while when you get the hang of keeping your parameters steady you can add a couple easy corals and see how it goes. Do you think you would have a sump? (Not absolutely needed, but will determine your set up)

I looked at it on YouTube and it just looks very expensive but I would do one if I could within my price

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And whatever you add to your tank...research research research, then ask on here... Lol
Some fish nice and cute but become monsters or will eat coral.

nanolax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately 200 dollars doesn't do as much as we'd all like it to do in this hobby... I'd agree with the others. Start a FO tank first. It's low maintenance, and there's no requirement for high ticket items like live rock, powerful lighting, etc. Good Luck!

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO the simplist way is to start the tank with macro algaes behind a partition (egg crate, 1/4" square grid lighting diffuser for dropped ceilings).
Gt the macro (chaetomorphia is a good one) growing between the partition an glass.
Then do the rest.
You can use play sand and rocks (like lava rocks) from building supply stores.
A week after first setup add a single small male molly.
Wait on week with no food being added.
Then try 1 or 2 female mollies. and start feeding a single flake per day.
At that point the tank should be set up and ready for marine only fish.
my .02

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%

Back