Increasing flow in classroom tank

cre1024

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey everyone!
I'm about 2 months in to my saltwater tank in my classroom (students are absolutely loving it and we've done several activities to learn using the tank). Currently fish only, but once everything is right we'll start to add some corals. One of the things that isn't quite right is the amount of flow. I'm currently using two cheap powerheads, but I'm looking into bigger and better. It's a 55 gallon tank and I'm looking for a good unit that is easy to control, but since I've long ago surpassed the school's budget, I'm looking for the best bang for my buck. I'm leaning towards a gyre, but if anyone has recommendations of best units or where to get them most affordably, I'd love to hear!

Thanks a lot!

20240204_084155.jpg

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would definitely look at a gyre. You may get lucky and find a used on on here for cheap!

OP
OP
cre1024

cre1024

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would check out the Jebao scp-70 or 90 even. They are a good value and will provide plenty of flow.
Thank you! This is about where I'm at budget wise. I don't want to be cheap, but I also can't allocate too much to a school tank. Appreciate the suggestion!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back