NEW to the saltwater world- restoring 175 gallon Oceanic bowfront

Joroboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently picked up a 175 gallon Oceanic bow front aquarium on CL that needed some TLC. I've completely rebuilt the stand using the old one as a template and polished the glass. I've also resealed both the tank and the 30 gallon sump. Currently in my cycling period. I'll post some of the pics of the process so far. Looking forward to having a new hobby:)
photo(2).JPG
photo(5).JPG
photo(1).JPG
photo(4).JPG

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great job and it looks good!

19-1.gif

Welcome to R2R!

We appreciate your membership!

Thanks for joining and please make sure and post often!

OP
OP
Joroboto

Joroboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the room placement. To the left of the stand is my livingroom
photo(3).JPG

Doing my final polish on the glass
photo(6).JPG

My rock layout. I bought this medical grade skeleton on ebay several years ago with the hopes of one day putting it in a tank. I replaced all of the metal parts with fishing line btw and hollowed out the skull and added a crank to the back so the fish can swim through.

photo(7).JPG

photo(8).JPG

I ended up replacing the double doors with a single one. I got tired of wedging myself under there:0
photo(9).JPG

Dumnorix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude that skeleton rocks! Nothing like some added calcium. And great job on the stand - that old one had seen better days...

cdrewferd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's sweet. Great use of the skeleton. Can't wait to see it covered in corals and fish swimming through the head.

OP
OP
Joroboto

Joroboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the previous owner had some sump overflow problems. I wouldn't have set a 10 gallon on it:) It was basically a glorified template. The new version is also roughly 5 times as heavy since I used actual furniture grade lumber. I'm hoping to add fish in the near future. Probably damsels. Any good inverts to start with or do I need to wait?

byronious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! You did a great job on the stand. Love the skeleton idea. :angel: . The damsel idea.......not so much.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank looks great!! I can't wait to see how it progresses!

Yeah, the previous owner had some sump overflow problems. I wouldn't have set a 10 gallon on it:) It was basically a glorified template. The new version is also roughly 5 times as heavy since I used actual furniture grade lumber. I'm hoping to add fish in the near future. Probably damsels. Any good inverts to start with or do I need to wait?
How far into the cycle are you? I would wait to add anything until you are showing zero for ammonia and nitrate. I may have missed it but how are you cycling the tank?

Bry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent Idea on the skeleton.. that will look awesome once it starts to color up and get encrusted with critters!

saltwater bob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skeleton is super coolness...can hardly wait to see how it colors up...how much did it cost?

Nemoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome. But, i would rethink the damsels, lol. They are cool and cute when there are small but can be hell on wheels as they mature. And, in that tank they would be a total pain to catch. Maybe start with some chromis to avoid some issues in the future. The inverts should actually be the first things in the tank. Google "clean up crew". Try a mix of snails, nassarius, cerith, turbo, and then some hermit crabs. After they are extablished and doing well then it is time for a fish or two. It takes time for the bio filtration sysem to develop so go slow and don't over load it at first.

Isoprene

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is that skele made out of? When I first started I wanted to get a actual skull to put in mine and I couldn't find anything that wouldn't leach silicates or some type of chemical out into the system? I was thinking about doing a ceramic skull but its difficult to make one.

Sorry didnt read, medical grade as in its actual skeleton material or is it molded from something?

Last edited:

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too cool! Your tank is very creative!! Welcome to R2R!! Lookin' forward to seeing more pics as your tank progresses!

OP
OP
Joroboto

Joroboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the compliments;) The skeleton was a factory defect(crooked collar-bone) so I got it for about $55 on Ebay. For those asking what it's made of, it's a cured resin. About the same as they use making aquarium ornaments so there's no danger in silicate leakage. The only real pain was replacing all of the metal clips and screws with fishing line:)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back