AF OceanGuard 605 Build

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have been in and out of the hobby for around 10 years now, check my posts for some previous builds. I Just moved and have been itching to get back into the hobby so I bought a new setup. I went with the AF OceanGuard 605 as it had really good reviews and all build quality looks top notch. I should have gotten some pictures of it crated but this was definitely the way to ship a tank. The freight delivery guy noticed from the pictures on the sides that it was a fish tank and he was shocked and said he delivers to the local LFS and has never seen a fish tank shipped that well.

I ordered the tank from BRS on June 24th and this tank arrived on July 1st. Pretty quick IMO. Everything was excellently wrapped and covered in plastic and flawless. No chips or scratches
I also went with this tank because all the stuff that came with it. Rocks, sand , sump, salt, plumbing etc... was basically everything but a skimmer , return pump and heater.
So far its only been setup with just saltwater and rocks for a couple weeks now cycling and fish are in QT before going into the DT. I also just added a bottle of pods from Algae Barn to seed the tank today.

So far this tank is the best built ones I have owned and this is basically a dream build where I'm buying all the goodies I want. Ended up going with Neptune Sky LED over the Radion Gen6 Pros due to reviews about shadowing effect is better on Neptune Sky and easy of setup to Apex. I wanted a 2 source solution that could replace T5 LED combo. If i had to do a combo it would be T5 and Kessil A360x since i had a similar combo previously with T5+AP700.

This will probably end up being mostly SPS and Clams with a few Zoas, Chalices and LPS added in. Really just depends on what catches my eye and glows under blues and isn't to crazy priced, although looking around corals have definitely gone up since I had a tank last in 2020.

Equipment list so far
AF OceanGuard 605
AF Reactor with Carbon and GFO
ApexEL Controller with Trident and Salinity Probe
Neptune COR return pump
Reef Octopus INT150 Skimmer
Tunze ATO
2x MP40w Quiet Drive
2x Neptune Sky LED with Radion Mounts
Milwaukee Digital Refractometer
Hannah Po4 and Copper Checker( will add others as needed )
5 stage RO/DI with Brute cans for Fresh and Mixed Saltwater
once I add corals I will be using either Neptune DOS with AF 2 part or doing a Calcium Reactor

Salt Mix: AF Reef Salt Currently since it came with 264g worth in this kit. Normally in past I used Red Sea Blue Bucket.
80lbs AF Rock
40lbs AF Bio Sand
CoralCrete to hold some rocks in place

The boxes of rocks came with a lot of shelf pieces so came up with one I am happy with given the pieces I had to work with and how bad I am at scaping. Normally I think all my past Aquascapes took a lot longer to get right and many many times of redoing the rocks and still didn't look as good as I was able to get with these rocks in just a couple hours. I've used all the normal Marco and Pukani etc rocks in past and these to me seemed easier to come up with a good scape. It must look good because even my wife said hey the rocks look good, in past her response when asked was always "it looks like rocks".

Current Fish in QT (Ordered from LiveAquaria)
3 Banggai Cardinals
2 Clarki Clowns
Blue Tang
Firefish
Royal Gramma

Fish are being treated with Ruby Reef Rally Pro, Copper Power , Prazi and Metro

Its a rats nest right now, need to clean the wires up.

image_67149825.JPG
image_50424321.JPG
image_67184641.JPG
image_67216385.JPG
image_67219969.JPG
image_67190017.JPG

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice looking setup. And right back in it with the good old brute trash cans. Obviously you've done this before.

Those AF tanks with all the extras included really does look like a solid deal. I've been encouraging a friend to grab one.

Nice job on the scape too!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
gmoney243

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just setting up mine too, AF 605 but white. Just wondering if you thinking of setting a roller filter I really don't think we can fit one, or maybe the klirk will fit?
I havent looked into them much. I notice they are popular these days so i might have to look into the benefit over filtersocks other than easy cleaning. but most of my tanks in past i never ran filter socks much anyway. LEt me know how it goes if you get one.

BR260354

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was about to pull the trigger on the RS 200XL G2, but I saw this in the BRS list. Looks very slick, but $900 over the RS. Thinking the cabinet build quality is far superior on the AF. The finish on the panels, are they glossy, satin, matte?

Cool build!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That shelf with the 10G QT tanks on it makes me so nervous...

OP
OP
gmoney243

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was about to pull the trigger on the RS 200XL G2, but I saw this in the BRS list. Looks very slick, but $900 over the RS. Thinking the cabinet build quality is far superior on the AF. The finish on the panels, are they glossy, satin, matte?

Cool build!
the Black is gloss so may not be for everyone.

OP
OP
gmoney243

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We added a Mini Split in the garage so now its climate controlled and QT all moved into Garage. Also picked up a fairly good sized Copperband Buttefly fish (4"-5"). Had him for week and a half and hes eating frozen PE Mysis but i have to stuff it into crevices of the rocks to get it to eat but hes eating very well this way. Water is yellow now due to using Ruby Reef Rally Pro due to possible flukes. he was flashing and doing a lot of head shaking but now has stopped since started dosing a few days ago. going to do water change today. Tank hes in is a 60g breeder.

image_50441217.JPG
image_6487327.JPG
image_6487327 (1).JPG

Last edited:

lupejkis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have been in and out of the hobby for around 10 years now, check my posts for some previous builds. I Just moved and have been itching to get back into the hobby so I bought a new setup. I went with the AF OceanGuard 605 as it had really good reviews and all build quality looks top notch. I should have gotten some pictures of it crated but this was definitely the way to ship a tank. The freight delivery guy noticed from the pictures on the sides that it was a fish tank and he was shocked and said he delivers to the local LFS and has never seen a fish tank shipped that well.

I ordered the tank from BRS on June 24th and this tank arrived on July 1st. Pretty quick IMO. Everything was excellently wrapped and covered in plastic and flawless. No chips or scratches
I also went with this tank because all the stuff that came with it. Rocks, sand , sump, salt, plumbing etc... was basically everything but a skimmer , return pump and heater.
So far its only been setup with just saltwater and rocks for a couple weeks now cycling and fish are in QT before going into the DT. I also just added a bottle of pods from Algae Barn to seed the tank today.

So far this tank is the best built ones I have owned and this is basically a dream build where I'm buying all the goodies I want. Ended up going with Neptune Sky LED over the Radion Gen6 Pros due to reviews about shadowing effect is better on Neptune Sky and easy of setup to Apex. I wanted a 2 source solution that could replace T5 LED combo. If i had to do a combo it would be T5 and Kessil A360x since i had a similar combo previously with T5+AP700.

This will probably end up being mostly SPS and Clams with a few Zoas, Chalices and LPS added in. Really just depends on what catches my eye and glows under blues and isn't to crazy priced, although looking around corals have definitely gone up since I had a tank last in 2020.

Equipment list so far
AF OceanGuard 605
AF Reactor with Carbon and GFO
ApexEL Controller with Trident and Salinity Probe
Neptune COR return pump
Reef Octopus INT150 Skimmer
Tunze ATO
2x MP40w Quiet Drive
2x Neptune Sky LED with Radion Mounts
Milwaukee Digital Refractometer
Hannah Po4 and Copper Checker( will add others as needed )
5 stage RO/DI with Brute cans for Fresh and Mixed Saltwater
once I add corals I will be using either Neptune DOS with AF 2 part or doing a Calcium Reactor

Salt Mix: AF Reef Salt Currently since it came with 264g worth in this kit. Normally in past I used Red Sea Blue Bucket.
80lbs AF Rock
40lbs AF Bio Sand
CoralCrete to hold some rocks in place

The boxes of rocks came with a lot of shelf pieces so came up with one I am happy with given the pieces I had to work with and how bad I am at scaping. Normally I think all my past Aquascapes took a lot longer to get right and many many times of redoing the rocks and still didn't look as good as I was able to get with these rocks in just a couple hours. I've used all the normal Marco and Pukani etc rocks in past and these to me seemed easier to come up with a good scape. It must look good because even my wife said hey the rocks look good, in past her response when asked was always "it looks like rocks".

Current Fish in QT (Ordered from LiveAquaria)
3 Banggai Cardinals
2 Clarki Clowns
Blue Tang
Firefish
Royal Gramma

Fish are being treated with Ruby Reef Rally Pro, Copper Power , Prazi and Metro

Its a rats nest right now, need to clean the wires up.

image_67149825.JPG
image_50424321.JPG
image_67184641.JPG
image_67216385.JPG
image_67219969.JPG
image_67190017.JPG
This may be am odd question but im trying to get a view of this build from the back of it. Any chance you can help?

Back