AF OceanGuard 605 Build

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I have a question, I also got the oceanguard 605 for about 2 months running, are you having problems with the water level in your sump? Mines all of the sudden goes up for no reason making my ato alarm go off. It's messing up with salinity, waking us up at night etc.. just wondering if it is happening to you too.. thanks
Did you get this resolved? I'm thinking of ordering one in a day or so.

OP
OP
gmoney243

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I have a question, I also got the oceanguard 605 for about 2 months running, are you having problems with the water level in your sump? Mines all of the sudden goes up for no reason making my ato alarm go off. It's messing up with salinity, waking us up at night etc.. just wondering if it is happening to you too.. thanks
Maybe the drain isnt dialed in? Is the overflow going up and down also? If so then just open it up a 1/4 turn. I did have that when i first started until i got it dialed in.

OP
OP
gmoney243

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few new corals in QT i just picked up from LFS. The orange chalice is about 4” across or so. Nice sized piece and super bright orange.
1F3A012E-7B14-45F4-9EAA-C686DB0667AE.jpeg
B563D6D4-EF86-482C-B98F-43289107DC53.jpeg
B943FEFF-0391-4965-A093-EBFACC4477AC.jpeg
AD05D34F-7A7F-4190-8668-430D7A9D8CBF.jpeg

OP
OP
gmoney243

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hit 8 weeks with copperband butterfly this past Saturday. I put him in the DT after 5 weeks and treated for flukes and he had lympho for anout 3 weeks in QT. All better now and still eating frozen foods. He eats anything stuffed into rock crevices which i think was a big part of the success to get him eating. I mix foods like PE mysis with some other meaty treats , put them into small rocks and put in freezer and put one in tank when its feeding time. He doesnt even wait for it to thaw out before he runs over picking at it.
3AB437CC-6BA9-41A7-8736-F24BECB962E8.jpeg
FEF40A92-FBBD-49BC-A8E3-B3E8511E57BB.jpeg

OP
OP
gmoney243

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current livestock is 1 copperband, 5 female anthias, 6 pajama cardinals, 4 banggai cardinals, 1 Clown, 1 royal gramma, 1 Chromis. I bought a total of 27 Chromis and only 1 survived…. So many came in with Uronema tried to treat with rally reef pro. 5 were DOA and the others in that batch all looked rough. Normally dont have issues with live aquaria fish but these chromis have been super rough. Luckily they give money back guarantee!

johnmac28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current livestock is 1 copperband, 5 female anthias, 6 pajama cardinals, 4 banggai cardinals, 1 Clown, 1 royal gramma, 1 Chromis. I bought a total of 27 Chromis and only 1 survived…. So many came in with Uronema tried to treat with rally reef pro. 5 were DOA and the others in that batch all looked rough. Normally dont have issues with live aquaria fish but these chromis have been super rough. Luckily they give money back guarantee!
Looking great! I’m cycling my Aquaforest 275 and hope to progress like you have. Great work!

OP
OP
gmoney243

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought some Aquaforest Stone Fix and changed up the aqua scape. I also drilled holes in my rockwork for easier acro placement and movement if needed. No more trying to glue or epoxy underwater
F93612A4-A2BB-4B39-A223-41FF55559262.jpeg

GDiaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have been in and out of the hobby for around 10 years now, check my posts for some previous builds. I Just moved and have been itching to get back into the hobby so I bought a new setup. I went with the AF OceanGuard 605 as it had really good reviews and all build quality looks top notch. I should have gotten some pictures of it crated but this was definitely the way to ship a tank. The freight delivery guy noticed from the pictures on the sides that it was a fish tank and he was shocked and said he delivers to the local LFS and has never seen a fish tank shipped that well.

I ordered the tank from BRS on June 24th and this tank arrived on July 1st. Pretty quick IMO. Everything was excellently wrapped and covered in plastic and flawless. No chips or scratches
I also went with this tank because all the stuff that came with it. Rocks, sand , sump, salt, plumbing etc... was basically everything but a skimmer , return pump and heater.
So far its only been setup with just saltwater and rocks for a couple weeks now cycling and fish are in QT before going into the DT. I also just added a bottle of pods from Algae Barn to seed the tank today.

So far this tank is the best built ones I have owned and this is basically a dream build where I'm buying all the goodies I want. Ended up going with Neptune Sky LED over the Radion Gen6 Pros due to reviews about shadowing effect is better on Neptune Sky and easy of setup to Apex. I wanted a 2 source solution that could replace T5 LED combo. If i had to do a combo it would be T5 and Kessil A360x since i had a similar combo previously with T5+AP700.

This will probably end up being mostly SPS and Clams with a few Zoas, Chalices and LPS added in. Really just depends on what catches my eye and glows under blues and isn't to crazy priced, although looking around corals have definitely gone up since I had a tank last in 2020.

Equipment list so far
AF OceanGuard 605
AF Reactor with Carbon and GFO
ApexEL Controller with Trident and Salinity Probe
Neptune COR return pump
Reef Octopus INT150 Skimmer
Tunze ATO
2x MP40w Quiet Drive
2x Neptune Sky LED with Radion Mounts
Milwaukee Digital Refractometer
Hannah Po4 and Copper Checker( will add others as needed )
5 stage RO/DI with Brute cans for Fresh and Mixed Saltwater
once I add corals I will be using either Neptune DOS with AF 2 part or doing a Calcium Reactor

Salt Mix: AF Reef Salt Currently since it came with 264g worth in this kit. Normally in past I used Red Sea Blue Bucket.
80lbs AF Rock
40lbs AF Bio Sand
CoralCrete to hold some rocks in place

The boxes of rocks came with a lot of shelf pieces so came up with one I am happy with given the pieces I had to work with and how bad I am at scaping. Normally I think all my past Aquascapes took a lot longer to get right and many many times of redoing the rocks and still didn't look as good as I was able to get with these rocks in just a couple hours. I've used all the normal Marco and Pukani etc rocks in past and these to me seemed easier to come up with a good scape. It must look good because even my wife said hey the rocks look good, in past her response when asked was always "it looks like rocks".

Current Fish in QT (Ordered from LiveAquaria)
3 Banggai Cardinals
2 Clarki Clowns
Blue Tang
Firefish
Royal Gramma

Fish are being treated with Ruby Reef Rally Pro, Copper Power , Prazi and Metro

Its a rats nest right now, need to clean the wires up.

image_67149825.JPG
image_50424321.JPG
image_67184641.JPG
image_67216385.JPG
image_67219969.JPG
image_67190017.JPG
Nice build! I’m waiting for a restock on this bad boy myself. Nice to finally see a build thread on this.

Jason_K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything equipment wise you would do different if you started over ? I am starting a 605 and been going back and forth on the equipment but thinkin mpw 40 for sure and sicce sd6 pump possibly the elite octo 150 skimmer. Going to run apex to control everything.

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@gmoney243 how do you like the AF Bio sand?
I like all my aquaforest products and dont have anything bad to say about any of them, but have to say if I was redoing my big tank, I wouldnt use aquaforest sand. I dont think I will use anything else other than caribsea special grade from now on

MB1227

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything equipment wise you would do different if you started over ? I am starting a 605 and been going back and forth on the equipment but thinkin mpw 40 for sure and sicce sd6 pump possibly the elite octo 150 skimmer. Going to run apex to control everything.
Right now I just have the IM helio system for the heaters, sicce 6.0 pump, and my kessil light from my previous tank. I’ve narrowed down which skimmer I want but haven’t got one yet. Overall I’m very happy with the tank so far and wouldn’t change the set up. Sorry for the delay I was away.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back