shoot through the glass or from above

cigartoyz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I have been experimenting with taking pictures of my corals. What is the best way to take pictures of coral? Through the glass or from above. I have been shooting from above the tank through the water and the corals are about 3" from the surface. My chalices and flat corals generally come out pretty good but acros and taller corals come out very grainy when blown up anything past 50%....any suggestions would be great.

Oldude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the type of shots you are trying to capture so both have their merits. For "top down" shots I recommend using a clear bottom box to shoot through to break the water surface.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cigartoyz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Untitled-21.jpg
acro_blue_Light.jpg
Untitled-37.jpg
Untitled-38b.jpg

Here is some of the shots i have been getting....the chalices come out pretty good but the acros are ok

OP
OP
C

cigartoyz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i guess my real question is that when you shoot on an angle through the surface of the water is it like shooting through glass where you get that blurry image?

Rausch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those pics look good! But a macro lens will definitely help! and a viewing box will make those top downs for Acro's and clams much better. The advice i was given says the best way to get quality pictures is to turn off all of your pumps and power heads because you want that water as still as it can be, then using a red filter will help a lot with pictures coming out blue. Have even seen some quality pics from Iphones using red filters through the glass. But again an SLR with a Macro is going to be the best way to get quality images. As for top down or through the glass, Both ! :bounce:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back