Erie, PA?

steamer51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Born there but moved 58 years ago. I visit sometimes and the ship I served on 1972-74 is close by in Buffalo NY in a military park (see my avatar). We lived in Lawrence Park and I have fond memories of the "Elbow Tree" if you are familiar with the area. Huge tree with a branch that comes straight out from the trunk then goes straight up like an elbow with the forearm up. Young couples would sit in the "elbow" and "spoon" when my parents and my generation were young but unfortunately it's gone now.

OP
OP
Fishinwall

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for serving steamer51!!! We have a tree like that out on the west side of town as well.

OP
OP
Fishinwall

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh fantastic... Finally! I was afraid that there was no one in Erie doing sps... Certainly don't find them at the stores locally.
I'm just getting started but I've been trying to find someone that is willing to share the details of what they do to keep them alive and perhaps swap some frags once in a while.
Wish there was a club.
I'm not a member anymore but the Erie aquarium society spring auction is this weekend. Sometimes I pop in there if I need equipment etc.

drsoos712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the SPS, I've been pretty successful with LED light and pretty descent flow. I picked up a bird's nest frag recently and another SPS (not sure what it is). I'll try to prep a frag of Orange/Red Montipora for you, I wouldn't have the opportunity to swap for another few weeks, but I'll try to get you some of it.

OP
OP
Fishinwall

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's very nice of you but my tank actually isn't up and running yet... Long story, but it's probably going to be a few more months before there is anything live in it!
Do you have a thread of your tank?
I just started one last week ...of my build.
The birds nests are really cool.
I've checked out most of the stores in buffalo, one in Pittsburgh, but none in Ohio. How about you?
Matt

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

drsoos712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I've checked out most of the stores in buffalo, one in Pittsburgh, but none in Ohio. How about you?"

Haha, Almost everyone of them! I'd recommend the Fish Place, Rainbow Tropical, and Markehiem. All of the others are ridiculous overpriced unless you know what you're looking for. I've taken' to ordering online, because the gas to cover the trip up there and back essentially covers the overnight and the sales you can find anywhere online will simply destroy any LFS in the area price wise.

"The birds nests are really cool."

I totally agree, I'm yet to be 100% successful with them but I'm tryin' again. Hair algae took out my other two frags.

"Do you have a thread of your tank?"

Not yet, but I'm goin' to start one at the end of the month. I have finals in two weeks so I'm gonna push through those first haha.

"
That's very nice of you but my tank actually isn't up and running yet... Long story, but it's probably going to be a few more months before there is anything live in it!"

Totally understand haha, FYI live sand is on sale right now at Petsmart, I'd run up there and grab some for when you're ready for the set-up! :) Hope this all helps! Oh and the Orange/Red Monti Frag will be waiting for you!

Mike

11f150

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was born and raised in Erie. I lived there my whole life up until 3 years ago when I moved for a job. I believe there is a Lake Erie coral club that throws a large frag swap, look into that Im sure they are on here.

OP
OP
Fishinwall

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike
Yes I'll have to see what petsmart has. I haven't bought mine yet, been trying to find a real white one that isn't sugar fine. I might have to mix different kinds.

Tell me more about your setup. What size is your tank, what equipment are you running? You're using RO/DI water right?

I really like A Reef Creation, and Buffalo Reef, but yeah, a bit pricey and NY tax is higher too. The owner of ARC took care of me getting started, but his one employee did charge me twice for a small item...I didn't feel like arguing with him though and I didn't realize until I was back home. Wish they were local.

drsoos712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A reef creation is pretty nice! I'll be checkin' those out again when I head up there is summer. As for the set up I have 2 20L saltwater a 5.5 gal that I'm set up for my GF, she want seahorses, which means that I want sea horses. The 1st 20L is my divided reef. It's divided into 2 10 gallons.

20L: 2 -10's.

Side A:
Percula & ocellaris pair
2 Chromis
1 Yellow watchman goby w/ candy-striped pistol shrimp.
Some sps, zoa's and a bunch of acan frags i just pick up.

Side B:
Black clown pair
1 mandarin dragonet
2 cleaner shrimp
Few LPS (branching Frogspawn and a torch), a green toadstool leather and a few ricc's.

The Other 20L is, for the most part, Fish only with a few condy anemone's and some macro algae. I'm planning on this being a refugium in the future. In terms of livestock for the bottom:

2 Tomato Clownfish
1 Bicolor Angel
1 Black and Yellow Chromis
1 Firefish Goby
1 Black ray goby

I'm trying to run the tanks as low tech as possible for the time being. The top is on DIY LED's and the bottom on X2 T5 HO lights

OP
OP
Fishinwall

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is too funny. (girlfriend tank). I had one of those for mine, who is now my wife.... And actually the reason I'm doing salt now... I had bought her a green spotted puffer. She LOVED that fish.

Someday we'll have to catch up in person.

Wow good for you... They say those smaller tanks are much harder to manage. Mine's actually on the small side as reefs go, but not a nano. (65/30 gal sump).

Check out my build tread when you get a chance.

I'm trying to find a few more local keepers. Found some on reef central last night so I reached out to them. Hopefully I can get them to come over to R2R. Perhaps we can all get together.

Not that Erie is all that big, but what area do you live in? I'm in Fairview.

drsoos712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My GF is actually crazy about the puffers too, she really likes the dog faced ones. And actually right across from LECOM if your familiar with where that is. It's where I'm goin' currently haha. How many people did you find over there @ RC form the erie area?

OP
OP
Fishinwall

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen any responses yet. Perhaps I need to login.

Very cool. D.O. Or Pharm school?

OP
OP
Fishinwall

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news... Three people reached out to me on RC. I'll keep you posted, perhaps we can all get together.

OP
OP
Fishinwall

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is ready! It is cycled! Time to get some critters. Need some calurpa or Chaetomorpha Algae, too

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't live there but I travel to Erie (from Mentor, OH) once a week for work. Everytime I drive out there, I wonder what new reef stores I am driving by :)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 22.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back