Company101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am honestly at my whits end. According to LFS. Tank parameters were fine 2 days ago. And there wasn't this much a week ago.

Chemi clean was a bismal failure

I am most likely going to take the tank down and put it back up. Or maybe sell. I seriously do t know what to do ?
Peroxide treatment ( have this on hand )
Biofuel ( also have on hand )
Acid bath ( and start all over ) and to what of the tank and livestock?

What of the sand? The sump? Does everything need to go to?

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1406003934.614854.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1406003963.773049.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1406003992.749038.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1406004023.664120.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1406004048.045272.jpg

I am completely sick over this.

These pics are only half the tank. It's honestly that bad.

footballdude2k3

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a sea hare, or some turbo snails, or a lawnmower blenny, and you should be good to go. how big is your tank, what's inside?

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say depending on size of your tank 2-3seahairs and about 10 Mexican large turbos and you should be clean in a week tips if that's GHA I wish you the best of luck and please don't forget pass of your sea hairs when there finished so the don't starve and kill them. Return them or pass them to a friend or someone in need. GOODLUCK on your journey never give up . It's never the best thing to do , always take advice and use it in your own ways and man make it HAPPEN!

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good clean up crew would help. How old is this tank? Your coral are closed showing there are probably it here issues. What kind of lighting are you using? Are you using ro/DI water? How long are your lights on per day? What's your phosphate levels at?

OP
OP
Company101

Company101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
System is 55 with 35 sump. There is about 10 turbos a couple other types of snails. A yellow tank, a lawn mower, diamond watchman gobie, bi color angel,

No one is eating this stuff

I also have two emerald crabs.

We only feed 1 frozen cube of miso shrimp in the evening and we since off the cloudy water.

Nothing is eating this stuff.

OP
OP
Company101

Company101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters. According to LFS they are good. Lighting is T5 on from 8 am till 8 pm. MH are on from 12-2

I think I want to dose with peroxide. It's all I have and I heard it works.

Might try dipping one rock to see how it works.

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be your RO WATER do you make it yourself? Or buy it ? Or use bottled? Tap? Little info , also you running a skimmer I no it's a silly question but lightens the load on us to ask. Have you checked your phosphates? If so what were they testing at?

OP
OP
Company101

Company101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is about 7-8 months old. I did do a rookie thing and bought " cured " LR from a guy on craigslist. I want to say that is where the problem is I think.

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't trust LFS READINGS! Always invest in good test kits like salifert and Hanna test kits aswell as red sea and Elos there good too.

OP
OP
Company101

Company101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will test first thing in the morning. As of right now. I dipped a LR in peroxide and water. And took a tooth brush to the whole rock.

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is about 7-8 months old. I did do a rookie thing and bought " cured " LR from a guy on craigslist. I want to say that is where the problem is I think.

I think you may gave solved your problem. As the nutrients leach out from the old rock it's immediately consumed by the algae and that's why your parameters still appear in check. Over time it will go away but not immediately. Also how old are your t5 bulbs? As t5 bulbs reach the end of their lifetime their spectrum starts to shift in a way that can encourage algae. Don't fret it's not the end of the world. You can always start changing the rock out for new cured rock but only a few pieces at a time. You've come to the right place to figure this out. There are so many smart people here with so much experience. We all have had bumps in the road and you can get passed this one. Best of luck.

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A single sea hare with clean that up in a month or less. Sea hares run around $30. In the meantime you can figure out why you have the algae. What's your light schedule. When I had a similar issue I cut back to a four hour lighting period each day and it seemed to slow the growth.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.3%
Back