pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um.. you said you used Chemiclean a while ago? was it because you had Cyano everywhere? and then this replaced it? if so, you have Phosphates or nitrates somewhere. either from your rock or RO water. no doubt about it.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel before you go buying more grazers, that will never catch up with what I see in the pics. You should figure out the source that's feeding the algae. Most of the time it's within the live rock. You need a means to export those nutrients ( phosphates, nitrates). A refugium works great as well as GFO and other chemical flow through sources. If you chemically treat and scrub the rock you will also kill beneficial living organisms within. Then your back to square one, uncycled rock, and no organisms to help you process and export these nutrients. CUC's are important, but Reef tanks are not possible without micro organisms.

Bad Company

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
build a waterfall algae scrubber. I have one and it is awesome at exporting nutrients! I use tap water!

Attachments

• IMG_0399.jpg
    IMG_0399.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 159
OP
OP
Company101

Company101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the update on this is as follows. My local LFS is closed Tuesday. So I took an hour and half drive to sea critter depot in myrtle beach. Bruce was super awesome. And we talked quite a bit about the solution.

What we ended up with was 24 red legged hermit crabs. Two pencil urchins about the size of a gum ball. And new cheato. A huge clump.

Also cut my light cycl down to 6 hours with t5 and 1 hour with MH

I went home and did a 10 gallon water change and used a hose to suck out quite a bit of hair algae. Also started dosing biofuel. According to my wife. There has not been any new substantial growth. I get home on Monday night so we will see.

Spendley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I urge you to check the water you are putting in. If you are putting phosphates into your water that could be your problem and you could be adding to it with the water change. A Hanna phosphate checker will save you a lot of hassle.

I say this because my RODI filters went bad after about 6 months and I put a lot of phosphates into my tank before figuring out the problem.

ecajoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had bad algea outbreak after my transfer came down to run more carbon export po4 and more water changes with algea siphoning been perfect for a month now

OP
OP
Company101

Company101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello everyone, thanks for al the support... i am happy to report... with pics to follow once the lights come on later tonight, that my tank is looking so much better.... not sure the exact fix.. but there is no out of control algae... i still have some after the week i have been gone but nothing like the last pics.... the urchins, new cheato and hermits, in part with biofuel seem to have done a huge help... i also started a product called bioclean.... just put this in the tank a few days ago.... so thats still up in the air....

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back