Votes: 4 11.8%

• Total voters

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What time of day do you feed your corals? Do you notice better consumption during the day or night? I am not trying to start the age old argument of, is it beneficial to feed your corals, just looking to know what time of day from those that do feed. I don't plan to spot feed, just want to broadcast if it makes any difference.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What time of day do you feed your corals? Do you notice better consumption during the day or night? I am not trying to start the age old argument of, is it beneficial to feed your corals, just looking to know what time of day from those that do feed. I don't plan to spot feed, just want to broadcast if it makes any difference.

Great question. Mine get fed...when I think about it... LOL

I've heard it's best to feed at night (at least that's what Scott Fellman of Unique Corals recommends).

I hope you don't mind, I added a poll to your post so we can keep track of the answers. ;)

Last edited:

Sacohen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed in the evening. 6pm everyday.
Depending on your fish population and type you may need to feed multiple times a day.

dss190

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you ever look at your corals when the lights are off their polyps are super extended most of the time. I would just try to feed when my corals look like that, but you'll probably be fine feeding whenever their polyps are extended. They do feed at night in the wild though.

ReeferEric

Resident Reef Junky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my fish, corals just get the poop unless I'm feeling good. Usually after 6pm I feed.

Acro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gah when will polls show up on the app lol I'm sure more people would participate!

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fed at night. My acans and favias are greedy and like to eat whenever lol I target feed those guys.

WindeyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many of my corals close up at night, and the rest have adapted to daytime feedings; I feed finely chopped shrimp and my acans, duncans, and frogspawn sense the food as soon as it touches the water and extend in anticipation. Gotta give a big piece to my skunk cleaner shrimp first or he'll purloin the food from the corals.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my corals have adapted to daytime feedings. The ones that haven't don't get fed! I feed a couple of times a week at whatever time I can be bothered. I don't like the idea of setting a specific time to feed, it may be good for consistencies sake, but then it starts to feel like a chore. I wana enjoy my tank, not have to plan my life around it :)

OP
OP
ChrisQ0904

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Most of my corals have adapted to daytime feedings. The ones that haven't don't get fed! I feed a couple of times a week at whatever time I can be bothered. I don't like the idea of setting a specific time to feed, it may be good for consistencies sake, but then it starts to feel like a chore. I wana enjoy my tank, not have to plan my life around it :)

That's how it felt for me. I tried feeding after lights out and I typically forgot which isn't a big deal at all. Now I just feed during the day whenever I think that I haven't fed in a while. I probably broadcast feed maybe 1-2 times per week.

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to feed my corals first thing in the morning(around 7 am) before I turn the lights on.Many of the LPS will have their tentacles out at this time and the fish will get less of the food.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back