Changing pipes as routine maintenance

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided I wanted to change some of my plumbing around and so I began hacking at the pipes. I am amazed at the build up of gunck over the last five years. It got me wondering if this should be done routinely every few years. I will certainly get improved flow rates and not having my water passing through dirty pipes will certainly be good from a nutrient stand point. So does anyone already do this? If so how often? With multiple pumps hard plumbed in the only option I would have for cleaning them is to switch them out. Cost a fair bit with all the unions and valves so is it worth it?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pipes from my basement sump to my first floor tank became so clogged that the flow almost stopped. That only took about 3 years. They are a large diameter tygon, so I got the stuff out by bending and breaking up the solids and pushing it out with water pressure, but it was a PIA.

In my case, a lot of the deposit was a type of calcerous worm that acted as a dam, collecting other bits of calcium carbonate.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if somewhere there is a really long plumber's snake-type device with a brush on the end that could be used to clean out the pipes. As long as the pipes aren't glued to the overflows/sump it should be possible to brush them out.

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a nylon brush with a fleixble handle to clean out my pipes. IDK what I would do with a really long run though.

enrique

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is only 8 months old and yesterday I made a return pump upgrade. I saw lots of junk on my return lines and ended with huge amount of tiny white stuff like feathers on my tank. Looked inoffensive but took some time for the filter socks to take them out.

coralsavers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked at a aquaculture facilities for awhile both state and privately owned marine and fresh water and all I can say is when you clean the pipes on large systems you better have a strong stomach!!!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 32.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 41 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 40 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back