Newbie reefer 150 build

RobertP1969

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone, I'm going to do my best to get a build thread going. I think it will help me along the way as I will try and take a lot of
pictures in the process and write down spec's, parameters,etc. I guess I will start by listing what I already have and what I plan on
purchasing to get started. Here we go.
Tank-Waterbox Infinia reef 150.4
Return pump-Sicce 7.0
Lighting-Kessil A360W (3)
Filter roller- Clarisea 5000
Skimmer- Reef Octo INT 150
Powerheads-I have MP40's but I'm thinking about going to the Gyre's or Octo pulse's
Control-I bought an Apex A3 but am thinking about switching to Hyros
5 stage RO/DI mixing station that I'm in the process of plumbing, probably today.
80lbs of caribsea ocean direct
Refractometer and Hanna salinity tester,Salifert ammonia, nitrite,and nitrate test kits.
80lbs of Marco Rocks Reefsaver, although I think I'm going to get another 20lbs at least
So far that is what I have. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I will post some pics soon.

Rappa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a nice setup! Congrats.

What is your reasoning from switching to the Hydros since you already bought the Apex? I'm not judging, just wondering...

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why a roller mat AND a skimmer?

I know this sounds a little odd, but hear me out.

I have ZERO Sponges, roller-mats, fleece, floss etc in my system of 360 gallons with a 300g display. My Mechanical Filtration is my Skimmer.

Parameters on my tank average around 1.026 salinty, 80 degree temp, .07ppm phos, 40ppm nitrate, 9.6dkh, 420calc.

This is my sump, All-Glass 6ft 125g aquarium custom built by me.
20240430_085928.jpg
I dose Brightwell Phos-E for phos control directly into my skimmer. keeping things simple is the goal for me. The simpler the system is, the less chance for things to go wrong.

Short video of my DT so you can how clear my water is. Sorry about the scratches on my camera\cell phone, s22 with coral filters for the pics.

OP
OP
R

RobertP1969

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why a roller mat AND a skimmer?

I know this sounds a little odd, but hear me out.

I have ZERO Sponges, roller-mats, fleece, floss etc in my system of 360 gallons with a 300g display. My Mechanical Filtration is my Skimmer.

Parameters on my tank average around 1.026 salinty, 80 degree temp, .07ppm phos, 40ppm nitrate, 9.6dkh, 420calc.

This is my sump, All-Glass 6ft 125g aquarium custom built by me.
20240430_085928.jpg
I dose Brightwell Phos-E for phos control directly into my skimmer. keeping things simple is the goal for me. The simpler the system is, the less chance for things to go wrong.

Short video of my DT so you can how clear my water is. Sorry about the scratches on my camera\cell phone, s22 with coral filters for the pics.

I wasn't aware that you didn't need both. so they both do the same thing ?

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't aware that you didn't need both. so they both do the same thing ?
Yes they both do basically the same things. There is some discussion on the merits of each, but I am a huge fan of DIY and Low Tech for my tank. I don't want to spend $1000's if I can spend $10.

I started out using an Eshopps sump with socks, then moved to an Eshopps sump with "fuge" (AF 300 gen 4) I was extremely unimpressed with it's functionality or rather lack of meaningful flow thru fuge area. IMO a really shoddy design.

When I went with the diy home build sump I opted out of fleece as an experiment and I love how it has worked for me. Took a little tweaking of the skimmer to get it to export properly but it works great.

I should note I run a bit of what I consider a dirty system, I don't care if my phos gets to .20ppm or my nitrates get to 60ppm, though I usually try and keep them around .05ppm phos and 35ppm nitrate, i have an abundance of zoa's and they love water that is a little dirty.

DanP-SD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a fairly new build myself and being new to controller systems, I found the Apex to be pretty easy. I don't know much about the Hydros controller other than the Wave-engine that I run for my Octo's. Good luck!
+1 on Apex. There’s so much info out there (including all over R2R) that someone has done just about anything you can hope to do. Makes it easy to copy some programming and get it running quickly.

On the roller mat vs skimmer discussion, they don’t really do the same thing and using both is a good call. The roller mat (like a filter sock) removes particulate and other solids above the micron rating of the material used before they dissolve. A protein skimmer removes long chain protein molecules. It is a type of mechanical filtration but is targeted at a more dissolved solid. A dry skimmate can remove some larger particulate but that’s not what it’s designed to do.

They’re similar in that they’re both targeting solids before they start breaking down into ammonia but they work at different stages of that breakdown and both are valuable.

My new build has both and every tank I’ve ever done has some form of mechanical filtration (fleeece, sock, etc) to pull out the solids before the skimmer. It keeps the sump cleaner and the water clearer.

OP
OP
R

RobertP1969

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank, don't mind the cardboard canopy its just to keep stuff out until I get screen for the top lol

Attachments

• IMG_0521.jpeg
    IMG_0521.jpeg
    155.7 KB · Views: 21

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here are a few pictures of my first attempt at aquascaping
IMG_0512.jpeg
IMG_0509.jpeg
IMG_0515.jpeg
Really like the arch's and "caves". And centering the reef in your tank instead of stacking on the back wall for better water flow is how I designed and built mine as well. I think you will be really happy long term with how much easier it is to keep things clean with ample water flow all the way around and thru your reef.

OP
OP
R

RobertP1969

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got my Clarisea SK 5000 yesterday got all together and the controller didn't power up. It's on its way back for a replacement. Thank you BRS for quick response.On the bright side it did fit perfect in the filter sock chamber of my sump!

OP
OP
R

RobertP1969

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While waiting on some more of my equipment I made a a mount for the 3rd Kessil with a 2' piece of flat aluminum painted black. since the overflow was in the center I couldn't use the arm that came with it
IMG_0524.jpeg

JFinlay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Built a temporary control board from some foam board from Hobby Lobby. the controllers sure add up fast
Great build! Mine ships on the 30th very excited, did you end up sticking with the apex? Take a pic of the control board lol, I was already thinking of making a control board myself as well

OP
OP
R

RobertP1969

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I decided to stick with the Apex but I'm not really even sure what I'm going to use it for other than monitoring
Everything I have has its own controller and app

JFinlay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I decided to stick with the Apex but I'm not really even sure what I'm going to use it for other than monitoring
Everything I have has its own controller and app
Yea that was my thing, I was looking at the apex Jr for that reason. Just wanted redundancy and to monitor PH, temp, water level. What are you using for heaters?

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 29 15.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 44 22.9%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 111 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back