40G First timer. Setup everything today finally

JFinlay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After months of obsessing about it, I’ve finally setup my tank! It’s crazy how expensive this stuff gets, considering this is considered “budget” with almost 1K invested. But will be well worth it.
i have a LFS that has really taken me under their wing, I went today and he gave me 10G of water from one of his tanks, along with live rock for a great price to get started. Should be enough to cycle.

I have 2 powerheads
Seachem Tidal 75 HOB filter
Eheim Jager 150W heater

I used Caribsea arag Alive and have a question about that, it says “contains bio-magnifier clarifier” but I didn’t see any packet? Really hoping I don’t have 2 packets buried in my sand somewhere. Is it mixed into the sand now or possible they didn’t come with it? My tank is still very cloudy about 5 hours after setup. I have the filter that came with the Tidal and extra filter floss in it.
I’m also wondering if it’s normal to have a bunch of bubbles around the tank at water level? Pic of what it looks like now. Don’t mind the mess, long day today lol.

272CA80B-88EB-4D90-8255-2E65DBC97EA8.jpeg

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After months of obsessing about it, I’ve finally setup my tank! It’s crazy how expensive this stuff gets, considering this is considered “budget” with almost 1K invested. But will be well worth it.
i have a LFS that has really taken me under their wing, I went today and he gave me 10G of water from one of his tanks, along with live rock for a great price to get started. Should be enough to cycle.

I have 2 powerheads
Seachem Tidal 75 HOB filter
Eheim Jager 150W heater

I used Caribsea arag Alive and have a question about that, it says “contains bio-magnifier clarifier” but I didn’t see any packet? Really hoping I don’t have 2 packets buried in my sand somewhere. Is it mixed into the sand now or possible they didn’t come with it? My tank is still very cloudy about 5 hours after setup. I have the filter that came with the Tidal and extra filter floss in it.
I’m also wondering if it’s normal to have a bunch of bubbles around the tank at water level? Pic of what it looks like now. Don’t mind the mess, long day today lol.

272CA80B-88EB-4D90-8255-2E65DBC97EA8.jpeg
Yep that’s normal. just kinda like skim from the sand it’ll go away do you have the power head on?

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubbles are just scum from the sand. Have you adjusted the Tidal to skim from the surface? You can direct your powerheads towards the surface and that should move it towards the surface skimmer of the Tidal.

OP
OP
J

JFinlay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubbles are just scum from the sand. Have you adjusted the Tidal to skim from the surface? You can direct your powerheads towards the surface and that should move it towards the surface skimmer of the Tidal.
That makes sense, I might have overthought powerhead placement, I have the one on the right towards the front and lower, and the one on the left to the back and higher, and the left side doesn't have as much bubbles. Just brought the right side up more

OP
OP
J

JFinlay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also had my filter on the lowest flow setting and didn't notice. Hopefully that helps clear things up quicker

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue dial near the down tube adjusts intake flow between the down tube and surface skimming weir. Basically the more you restrict the down tube the stronger your surface skimming will be.

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also had my filter on the lowest flow setting and didn't notice. Hopefully that helps clear things up quicker
Yep like coastal said aim one at the surface it’ll help filter it. Also it’ll help keep the water oxygenated. Give it a day it’ll be all cleared up.

OP
OP
J

JFinlay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys have any idea about the water clarifier? It's still supposed to come as a packet inside the bag of sand right? Going to drive me nuts that I can't find either of them. Was hoping they'd float to the top

OP
OP
J

JFinlay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go to open the SALTWATER master test kit I ordered from Amazon, andddd they sent me a freshwater kit. Niceee :expressionless-face:

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Looking good so far. Give it a little time and it will filter out. What is your plan for rock work and livestock when the time comes?

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys have any idea about the water clarifier? It's still supposed to come as a packet inside the bag of sand right? Going to drive me nuts that I can't find either of them. Was hoping they'd float to the top

Sorry mate, can’t help you with that one. I’ve never used the Caribsea Arag Alive and always rinse any new sand. Just get your arms in there and fish around if it’s going to impact your sleep tonight.

OP
OP
J

JFinlay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good so far. Give it a little time and it will filter out. What is your plan for rock work and livestock when the time comes?
I have 20lbs of live rock from my LFS in there, you just can't see it! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
I was honestly surprised how little of an amount I received from that. I have 4 pretty decent sized pieces, enough to form a little arch, and an island off to the side. As I purchase coral I think I'll buy more purple rock (not live) to add for a cheaper price.
Livestock I haven't thought too in depth about, but really like the concept of almost every fish serving a purpose. Something like -
Lawnmower Blenny
Fairy or Pink Streak Wrasse
YWM Goby and Tiger pistol shrimp (Think it's so cool how they pair, and would love to watch them)
2 clowns of course
Royal Gramma or Flame Hawkfish. Still doing my research on those, seems like mixed opinions.

OP
OP
J

JFinlay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry mate, can’t help you with that one. I’ve never used the Caribsea Arag Alive and always rinse any new sand. Just get your arms in there and fish around if it’s going to impact your sleep tonight.
Oh trust me I did, no luck! I'm baffled and probably more concerned than I should be

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have 20lbs of live rock from my LFS in there, you just can't see it! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
I was honestly surprised how little of an amount I received from that.
Ahhh I remember those days….
I’m just getting restarted and getting a 5 gal up and running. Luckily I did t have to buy any rock this time.

Last edited:

pepper89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh trust me I did, no luck! I'm baffled and probably more concerned than I should be
If you left it in there it's probably ok, I read on some posts the other day of people who left it in there for years, found it when they tore it down and said the tank was fine all that time lol. I think eventually it will settle down without it. That just makes it faster. BUT I do think they should still be in there. When I bought my sand the other week it def advertised that it did lol.

OP
OP
J

JFinlay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you left it in there it's probably ok, I read on some posts the other day of people who left it in there for years, found it when they tore it down and said the tank was fine all that time lol. I think eventually it will settle down without it. That just makes it faster. BUT I do think they should still be in there. When I bought my sand the other week it def advertised that it did lol.
Well this gave me piece of mind, looks like I will hopefully be one of those guys, or a future conch will find it and bring it out of the sand for me.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back