Cycle Question

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always seem to run into weird issues every time I cycle a tank. I was hoping my newest tank would break this curse, but here I am again. So here is the story, I decided since it was going to be a bit until my tank would be ready for water due to building and painting stand and waiting on stuff to come in that I would cycle my rock in a brute trash can. My logic here is have the rock cycled so that when I get the tank setup I don't have to start the cycle process then. I filled the brute with saltwater, a heater, and two power heads then tossed in the rock. I used Ace pure ammonia as my ammonia source. I dosed it to about 3 ppm and let it take off. About two weeks later I had really high nitrites and nitrates were around 10 ppm. I kept dosing my ammonia to around 3 ppm every time it dropped to 0 (about every 48 hours). I have been stuck at this same spot now for about 3 weeks. Nitrites are off the charts and Nitrates have not budged from 10 ppm.

So.....any idea what's going on? I just did a water change today thinking that maybe the cycle just stalled. I have done a 50% water change and I can not tell a difference in the Nitrite level. Should I leave it for a few days and see if there is any change or should I continue to dose ammonia?

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave it for a few days....I probably wouldn't add any more ammonia - no expert here by any means - hopefully others will chime in.

leptang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you add more ammonia, you are going to see nitrite rise. That is the first sign of cycling when you see nitrites, then you should see nitrates as a end point of the cycle. It goes like this ammonia to nitrite to nitrate. If you see nitrates you have a cycle.

First check the saltwater you are using before you are adding it to your brute container for any nitrites and nitrates. The high levels of nitrite may come from your water source. If its not coming from the water you're adding, do a couple of 50% water changes. Then test again. Hopefully you will end up 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 1-5 nitrate. Ammonia being the most toxic then nitrite and the least toxic nitrate.
Are you using any kind of bacteria additives? If not i would recommend it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you add more ammonia, you are going to see nitrite rise. That is the first sign of cycling when you see nitrites, then you should see nitrates as a end point of the cycle. It goes like this ammonia to nitrite to nitrate. If you see nitrates you have a cycle.

First check the saltwater you are using before you are adding it to your brute container for any nitrites and nitrates. The high levels of nitrite may come from your water source. If its not coming from the water you're adding, do a couple of 50% water changes. Then test again. Hopefully you will end up 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 1-5 nitrate. Ammonia being the most toxic then nitrite and the least toxic nitrate.
Are you using any kind of bacteria additives? If not i would recommend it.

Thanks for the info. The water source has 0 Nitrite, I just made up a batch today and just went and tested it. I had started using Microbacter7 from Brightwell, but have misplaced it so I have not added any in a few weeks.

So to make sure we are on the same page, do not add any more ammonia correct? The problem I run into is every "cycle guide" is different some say use shrimp, some say dose ammonia to the same level every day.....I'm going crazy here.....over a tub of water and rocks....

leptang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats hard to say, bacteria needs ammonia to cycle. Now im not sure of what is in Ace pure ammonia or the type of ammonia or the concentration of it. So i couldnt say.
This is just a thought, you could do a 100% water change test it the next day, hopefully everything reads 0. Stop dosing ammonia. add a supper cheap fish that adds ammonia naturally. See if the nitrite spikes again. Oh yeah dose the microbacter7 as directed on the bottle. You could even add vodka, just a couple of drops as a food source of carbon for the bacteria.

Last edited:

Marksreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the Ace ammonia and it works great.
I would just wait it out and leave it alone till the ammonia and Nitrites are gone. No need to do a water change till then and only to reduce the Nitrates.

FishGuyTy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stop adding Ammonia and ignore the rock for at least a week to see if things change on their own. It sounds like everytime your bacteria started to work , it was bombarded with Ammonia again. You need to give the bacteria a chance to colonize and reproduce. More often than not I find that people do too much in situations like this. The cheapest and most valuable thing you can ever do for an aquarium is be patient. If your nitrite goes down slightly in a week, than I would just top it off, maybe add a hit of the bacteria and leave it for another week. Don't continue to do water changes as it is not necessary and only swaps out what little bacteria that has begun to fill your water. A carbon source like a few drops of vodka is also a good idea. Good luck! Keep us posted!

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's alot of mixed feelings on this but I threw dr tims one and only in my tank. Helped gain beneficial bacteria for nitrite / nitrate process

reggaedrummin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stop adding Ammonia and ignore the rock for at least a week to see if things change on their own. It sounds like everytime your bacteria started to work , it was bombarded with Ammonia again. You need to give the bacteria a chance to colonize and reproduce. More often than not I find that people do too much in situations like this. The cheapest and most valuable thing you can ever do for an aquarium is be patient. If your nitrite goes down slightly in a week, than I would just top it off, maybe add a hit of the bacteria and leave it for another week. Don't continue to do water changes as it is not necessary and only swaps out what little bacteria that has begun to fill your water. A carbon source like a few drops of vodka is also a good idea. Good luck! Keep us posted!
Got you covered here

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for your help! About four days ago the rock finished cycling! I am heading out of town for a few days, will the bacteria be fine with no fish to produce waste until Thursday?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 41 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back