Replace glass or tank?

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, I ordered a brand new tank from Planet. It came and a few days later I noticed a huge crack. Planet doesn't want any responsibility and wants me to file a claim with the carrier which i did and am VERY PO about. My question is, should I have the whole tank replaced or is it OK to have the panel replaced? It's the back panel.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try for a tank replacement.
If that's a no go, then there is nothing wrong with having one panel replaced, as long as the person doing it knows what they are doing.

This sucks though. What a horrible surprise after waiting for your new tank. :(
So do you think you just missed it when originally delivered?

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a real bummer. Of course you can replace the glass. Make sure all old sealant is removed. But my vote would be for a new tank. My reason is the actual tank is inexpensive compared with the total cost of a reef tank and I wouldn't want to live with the stress of wondering if it's going to fail.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to have. It looks like it was at the bottom seam. I could fit my fingernail into it. I sent over the claim forms to the carrier. After waiting four months, I have to wait more now.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks. My understanding about shipping insurance it they reimburse the customer that paid them directly i.e. the shipper. I made a claim through UPS once and after they came to look at the (headlight) item, they wouldn't even talk to me afterwards and they reimbursed the shipper, who I never heard from again.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks. My understanding about shipping insurance it they reimburse the customer that paid them directly i.e. the shipper. I made a claim through UPS once and after they came to look at the (headlight) item, they wouldn't even talk to me afterwards and they reimbursed the shipper, who I never heard from again.

So you never got the money?

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I filed a claim with the carrier which is Roadrunner. I purchased the tank through Dave at Fluid Designers who used Planet to make the aquarium. One way or another they are making this right. I am very disappointed on how this is being handled so far. Planet doesn't want to take responsibility, even though I had someone come here and look at the glass. They said more likely then not, the glass was "defective". He did not elaborate on that. I told Fluid Designers this and he said unless he was an engineer, there is no way to determine that.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What grounds? How about a product purchased not meeting specifications, poor customer service. WHen I am dealing with a company not wanting to deal with fixing a problem I try a line of communication such as e-mail since it can easily be documented and verified. When it looks like things are not going my way I inform the company that unless they resolve the problem I am going to report them to the BBB. I also give them a deadline of when the problem must be fixed if they do not meet my terms then I do exactly what I said and file a claim with BBB. Most companies do not want the negative publicity and will try to resolve it before it gets there. While the claim may not help you it will definitely help future customers. Just make sure you follow up with the BBB when you file.
What grounds do I have? What ticks me off, is Im the one needs to do all the work, while they just continue on with their business. I thought Planet was reputable, but Im thinking otherwise now.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What grounds? How about a product purchased not meeting specifications, poor customer service. WHen I am dealing with a company not wanting to deal with fixing a problem I try a line of communication such as e-mail since it can easily be documented and verified. When it looks like things are not going my way I inform the company that unless they resolve the problem I am going to report them to the BBB. I also give them a deadline of when the problem must be fixed if they do not meet my terms then I do exactly what I said and file a claim with BBB. Most companies do not want the negative publicity and will try to resolve it before it gets there. While the claim may not help you it will definitely help future customers. Just make sure you follow up with the BBB when you file.

All my communication was through Email, so I have that.

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Document, document, and do it some more. Pics lots of them. Did you pay for shipping? If so you should be the one being reimbursed. Usually its the one that paid for the shipping. If the dealer you went through will not do anything, take it to planet dont deal with sales go directly to supervisor or owner. Email pics of tank or even send it registered with a receipt that way they cant say they never got it. If they still wont make it right small claims is your next step.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Document, document, and do it some more. Pics lots of them. Did you pay for shipping? If so you should be the one being reimbursed. Usually its the one that paid for the shipping. If the dealer you went through will not do anything, take it to planet dont deal with sales go directly to supervisor or owner. Email pics of tank or even send it registered with a receipt that way they cant say they never got it. If they still wont make it right small claims is your next step.

I did email them, never heard back from them. Another member Diesel deals with them and told me who to ask for, but I haven't heard anything back. Im assuming I did pay for shipping, it was included it total price.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planet is pretty known in TX for the builds they did.
A lot of members in the Houston area has planet custom tanks include me.
Never really heard anything bad from them, that said I'm surprised that they're not communicating with him.
The advice I gave him is much the same as above, told him too to take it up to his CC as all transaction are done within the time limit of a dispute.
Sometimes CC companies look into the communication as that is one-sided it will proof that planet has some kind of guild in this matter.
But IMO the best chance you have with the insurance of the carrier in this case.
Again, hope you got this resolved in a positive matter.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluid Designers is calling the carrier now. I've facebook messaged and posted on Planet's FB page. No response. Nothing. My fiance bought this for me as an early wedding present, so it's on her credit card. She is calling the CC company now and asking them if there is a way to put the charge on hold, not a dispute yet. I want to give it a few more days.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the response from Fluid Designers:

xxx, it all comes down to the signing of the receiving bill. I know its not what you want to hear. Its much better for me to have happy customers so I want this fixed but I also know how this works. When I say "process" this is what I am talking about. My reputation is solid. I work with Planet because they have a solid rep. Unfortunate things happen to good people. I simply have no magic solution.

I contacted my rep and like I thought, nothing can happen until things go through the process. No freight company is quick at dealing with claims. You didn't damage your tank, I didn't damage your tank and Planet didn't damage it. None of us want to get stuck holding the ball. DFW and Planet are the larger entity here and they can absorb this better than you and I but the fact is, its probably not their fault either. Your fight is with the freight company. They are a very large company with very little sympathy. If you push too hard, they can slow things down out of spite if they choose to.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I crazy or is this the problem?

0217151846.jpg
0217151846a.jpg
0217151846b.jpg
0217151915.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back