Saltwater Safe Magnets

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Really looking for something strong and small to attach stuff to the glass. Might just have to get regular magnets and encase them in epoxy.

If you want them really strong then get neodyium magnets which can be found here,
APPLIED MAGNETS-Neodymium Magnets-Rare Earth Magnets-Ceramic Magnets-Industrial Magnets-Magnets Wholesale To The Public
Industrial Neodymium Magnets||NdFeB||Magnetic Assemblies||Wind Solar Power

I've made a bunch of frag racks for myself and others and I use the neodymium magnets and encase them in polyester casting resin.
I also use casting resin dye, because I believe that if you don't the light from our tanks will degrade the cured casting resin after a few months.

Also, if you use ceramic magnets, you don't need to encase them in anything. They are reef safe.

steamboat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tired to cover regular magnets in a ton of super glue. It only worked for about 2 weeks and then the magnetics were rusted! I guess you really need to resin cover them!

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy Neo. mags. already coated too. I bought some a while back and still use them to this day.

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you remember where you purchased them already coated?

also- for the casting dye- what products are used?

Been wanting to make some of these or buy some already made, would really appreciate all the details on how to do it, but thanks for the info already provided!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
When I mentioned the dye, it was only because a guy ( DonW) on Reef Central used some casting resin, but reported that after about 5 months it broke up. Just came apart. Didn't hurt anything because once the resin cures, it's inert.
So I gave it a try and used some black dye in mine. I got it the same place I bought the resin and molds, mixing cups, etc.
I have a couple frag racks that are now about 2 years old and I have some people in my area, I made racks for that are just as old. So it's my guess that the dye prevented the light (UV rays) to damage the cured resin.

The place I get my magnets from sell them with a epoxy coating, but IMO, they wouldn't last long in saltwater. Too thin, IMO.

I use the epoxt coated ones for the outside magnets. Works fine there.

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone ease my mind that the rubber coated ones from K&J are good to go without having to epoxy coat them?

Also- If I need to epoxy coat- which epoxy/resin is being used? Any that has best results?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think mine came from k&j but have had good luck with ones that were plastic covered. Had them about 9 months. I also put 6 in my sump my plan is every 6 months to cut them open and see if they rusting. As of a few months ago it was fine

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I use the epoxy coated 1" x 1/4" neodymium magnets for the Outside magnets on my frag racks. I don't think I would trust them for very long on the inside.
I did buy a couple 1" x 1" 1/4" square rubber coated neodymium magnets and they do seem like they have much more coating on them, than the epoxy coated ones.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back