moving tank

replacing your sand bed

• Total voters

sdietz2469

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi guys, i have to move here in a few months and will be moving my 120 sps,lps,and zoo tank, and just wanted to ask your opinions....

when moving, i have been preparing by placing all of my corals on plugs so i can just pull the plugs and bag my corals as if i am shipping......

a little info on my tank, it was transfered over about 7 months ago from my 55 when it sprung a leak... i used all of my sand(3years in this tank, new sand mixed with starter sand from another tank about 10lbs) and about 60lbs of new aragonite. for a total of about 130lbs... when i moved i noticed "black" spots in my sand where about a 2" circle was black.... my plan was to take the top layer about 1" of the sand off the top, and replace the rest of it with new sand.... is this going to be benificial or negative..... let me know what your thoughts are

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think i would start off with mostly new sand, maybe take a few cups of the existing sand. if you have a functioning dsb there are going to be some things you don't want to stir up.

rocko918

I wanna be a rock star
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have moved my 75 g tank twice and both time i left the sandbed in tact. Moved the tank with the sand bed in it. It makes it alot heavier but we were able to move the tank and refill it without disturbing the sand.

Depends on how far you got to go, mine where only and hour away so it was pretty safe.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to move my DSB with the tank with every move (have moved my personal tanks at least 6 times not counting upgrades and in house moves), but have started replacing it. Drs. Foster and Smith ship all you want for $17.99, so shipping doesn't kill you. Nothing should skip a beat if you use the same water and rock. It can be helpful to let the sand settle out for a day or so, if possible (with new sand). A small bag of Aragalive wouldn't hurt either.

OP
OP
sdietz2469

sdietz2469

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
so after reading the polls and you guys experience i am not sure what to do still, maybe i will here from some more people.... thanks to everyone that has chimed in so far.... please keep them coming..
shane

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like any option will work with proper precaution.

newjack0000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just remember you want to reuse as much water as possible and test daily to monitor a possibility of a mini cycle.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 118 76.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 22 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back