Bridgelux leds

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Logan,

I'm just curious as to what your reply is to a comment made in a post in another thread?

jedimasterben stated this in a post, "The LEDs in this fixture are absolutely NOT Bridgelux. They are cheap knockoffs using their name so they will sell.Bridgelux does not make '3w' LEDs - all of theirs are large multichip arrays, ranging from 2700-5600K, and 8-100 watts. No puny little 100lm "10-14K" chips. They have some of the highest quality phosphor tech that money can buy, matching Philips, and surpassing Cree. These fixtures do not, and cannot, use Bridgelux LEDs."

Is that a true statement? Especially the part in red? This is the 2nd time I've seen this statement. It was made on another website as well. Are we all being lied to?

Thanks for your support,
Ron

KYLECT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you google bridgelux 3w leds you will find that they absolutely do make 3w LEDs, just saying.

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to find 3W Bridgelux LEDs all over the Internet for sale. They were available on legit sites, not china sites which of course would not confirm any facts. I tried contacting Bridgelux and no one was available in the sales and marketing department to answer my questions. But, the person I spoke with assured me that China is their largest market for Bridgelux LEDs and that Bridgelux has 6 locations in China. Being the largest distributor of China I would say the odds are good that Bridgelux LEDs are being used in these fixtures. I will personally do everything possible to confirm since I have a personal interest in the matter.

Last edited:

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the LEDs are bridgelux, the majority of the LEDs are from different factories, but with similar, or better performance. Bridgelux does not make blues, reds, violets, greens, etc., but it is easier to say they are Bridgelux LEDs, then to say they are Hong Kong Semiconductor Manufacturing CO LEDs, plus the other factories that make them. They are not cheap knock offs, like I said, the quality is the same, if not better, than bridgelux.

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the LEDs are bridgelux, the majority of the LEDs are from different factories, but with similar, or better performance. Bridgelux does not make blues, reds, violets, greens, etc., but it is easier to say they are Bridgelux LEDs, then to say they are Hong Kong Semiconductor Manufacturing CO LEDs, plus the other factories that make them. They are not cheap knock offs, like I said, the quality is the same, if not better, than bridgelux.

I've read nothing but great reviews about the Reef Breeder (Evergrow) lights and from what I've seen with the Reef Radiance LEDs, they are great too, don't know much about all the binning that people talk about but too look at my 2 fixtures, all the LEDs seem to have the same color spectrum of each of the colors and they look great over my tank, heat is nonexistent, they're barely even warm at full power on either fixture so thermal management is great too, I really don't care who made the LEDs as long as they do what I want.....

in electronic there are a few brands I prefer and a few I will not touch but I don't consider myself a brand specific person, I have a Sharp HDTV, a Kenwood 5.1 home theater surround system, a Sony BluRay player, a Pioneer 400 disc CD changer...we also have an Amana refrigerator, a Whirlpool range, and a GE dishwasher, but they all match LOL whatever works for me and I don't have to mortgage the house to own is what I want....

I really don't understand why anybody would want any other light, maybe I'm missing something here, but these are build very sturdy, they function well, they look good both the fixture and the illumination, they grow coral great and coral look great under 'em, they are a fraction of the cost of brand named fixtures, what else could we ask for ? :)

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, everybody... especially Logan. BTW, Willie (redtop03), I wasn't setting up a knock on Reef Breeders or EverGrow. I bought 6 of their fixtures back in Dec 2012 and I absolutely love them. I was just taken by surprise when I read Bridgelux didn't make color leds (only white). So I asked and Logan gave the straight up honest answer. Now I know the situation. Thanks.

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, everybody... especially Logan. BTW, Willie (redtop03), I wasn't setting up a knock on Reef Breeders or EverGrow. I bought 6 of their fixtures back in Dec 2012 and I absolutely love them. I was just taken by surprise when I read Bridgelux didn't make color leds (only white). So I asked and Logan gave the straight up honest answer. Now I know the situation. Thanks.

yea I know, but I didn't know for sure that all the LEDs weren't Bridgelux, I still don't care who makes 'em, they work great :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FANTASTIC thread! Thanks Ron for starting this, very quick and educational.

You are welcome, but the thanks should go to Logan for setting things straight about whose leds we are getting. I used to worry about who the led manufacturer was when I was shopping for a fixture, especially if it wasn't Cree. But now I don't think about it much as all the 'reliable' sellers seem to be using leds that can get the job done.

Dumnorix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two of the 16" controllable models and I have never before had better looking or growing corals ever in the past until I started using these. Their par output is tremendous.

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so the blue leds that are stamped bridgelux that i got from aquastyle are knockoffs? just wondering where you guys got the info that they dont make colored leds. would like to read that

thanks

bob

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so the blue leds that are stamped bridgelux that i got from aquastyle are knockoffs? just wondering where you guys got the info that they dont make colored leds. would like to read that

thanks

bob

Give Bridgelux a call and ask. Bridgelux does not make them, but the ones aquastyle sells are likely okay in quality. However, I have heard that Bridgelux sells the phosphors, and components of the chips to other companies to assemble.

fyrfytr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am reading things right, they dont make colors...but it sounds like they allow stamping of their name on them. maybe i am reading it wrong

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am reading things right, they dont make colors...but it sounds like they allow stamping of their name on them. maybe i am reading it wrong
You can put cree on the pcb if you want, a stamp means nothing. However, like I said, bridgelux does sell the phosphors, and the actual unmounted chips to some factories for assembly.

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clear a few things up...

I was able to find 3W Bridgelux LEDs all over the Internet for sale. They were available on legit sites, not china sites which of course would not confirm any facts. I tried contacting Bridgelux and no one was available in the sales and marketing department to answer my questions. But, the person I spoke with assured me that China is their largest market for Bridgelux LEDs and that Bridgelux has 6 locations in China. Being the largest distributor of China I would say the odds are good that Bridgelux LEDs are being used in these fixtures. I will personally do everything possible to confirm since I have a personal interest in the matter.
You'd probably be surprised to know that even the 'Bridgelux' from LEDGroupBuy, one of the largest DIY resellers of this hobby, are made by Epistar.

There are absolutely zero 'generic' LEDs that can match Bridgelux in quality - not to mention efficacy, efficiency, phosphor tech, and quality control. You can test this yourself, order any of the BXRA chips, even unbinned it will obliterate the knockoffs.

Datasheets are your friend. LED, light source manufacturer of LEDs and arrays for Solid State Lighting applications

However, I have heard that Bridgelux sells the phosphors, and components of the chips to other companies to assemble.
No LED company would EVER sell their phosphor tech. Phosphor tech is very closely guarded. Bridgelux at one point in time did make low-output royal blue and green LEDs, more than likely for remote-phosphor applications, but stopped that years ago. They only produce white LEDs.

Bridgelux is a big name in LEDs. Their phosphor tech surpasses Cree (yes, you're reading that correctly) and Cree is just catching up in efficacy in their larger chips using their new silicon carbide process, but at a far higher price point ($25 per chip versus $7 per chip). They still have their off-axis color issues to deal with, though. Only Nichia and Philips have higher quality phosphors, but still lag behind in other areas (Philips is more than catching up, though, especially with the Luxeon M).

In short - no, none of the Evergrow fixtures (or clones, or any other fixtures coming from China) are not using Bridgelux LEDs.

Also, Bridgelux's silicon fab is located in Livermore, CA. That was the only one as of February, 2012. Not sure if they are using some of Toshiba's production capabilities yet at this time.

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you so sure if the information that you provide? You state everything as facts therefore would like to know where your information comes from. China has 6 Bridgelux locations therefore why is it so unreasonable that Bridgelux is not used? I know little about LEDs therefore in not trying to argue anything but some sort of proof to back your statements would clarify many things. Otherwise its just one persons word against another's which leaves no one with facts.

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you so sure if the information that you provide? You state everything as facts therefore would like to know where your information comes from. China has 6 Bridgelux locations therefore why is it so unreasonable that Bridgelux is not used? I know little about LEDs therefore in not trying to argue anything but some sort of proof to back your statements would clarify many things. Otherwise its just one persons word against another's which leaves no one with facts.
Datasheets and press releases, for one - news articles as well. Bridgelux dies are produced in California - the package and PCB are made elsewhere (I believe in Taiwan). How are you sure that Bridgelux has six locations in China? The last info I could find (from the Bridgelux site) states that their deal with Toshiba was just finalized in May.

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that I'm comparing apples to oranges here but I work at Firestone industrial products, the worlds number one air springs manufacturer, we make air springs for the trucking industry, we have a line of products that does not have the Firestone name on them, even though they are manufactured the same exact way and with the same materials as we use with the Firestone line, and function and look just as good, the difference is that the metal components used to assemble the off named product do not have the same anti corrosive inhibitors as the Firestone line and therefore do not carry the same warranty

who's to say that the BridgeLux factories don't produce a less expensive LED just for EverGrow and some of the other lights coming from China, Firestone does not advertise their less expensive line as a Firestone product, I doubt that BridgeLux would advertise that they made a less expensive product that performed just as good either...just thinking out loud here :)

Last edited:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back