The myth that LED lights last forever

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first picture showing a queen angel that my wife bought me and didn't like any other fish except baby clown triggers so I would get a baby and when it grew up I would trade it for another. The second picture was a 29 gallon with one 96 watt power compact. I saw the baby clown trigger in my LFS and couldn't pass it up for $10 it came home with me. Since I love angels I had to set up a special tank for the Welsophyllia's. So one I moved into a 58 with CFL's, then later into a DSA water fall tank with one 250 watt MH Coral Vue Pendant. My kids and wife say I have spent too much money on my hobby the last 33 years, but for me it has been enjoyment.
58 2004.jpg

DSA Full (2).jpg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are those candles blutooth enabled?
I'm actually hoping to get a new flamethrower module for my Apex in the R2R Secret Santa this year.

santa claus christmas GIF

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The following picture is one of my 120 at work with XR 30 Gen 6 with a support I made to keep them from being irritating while in my office. The only corals I keep now are GSP and Frogspawn which my angels leave alone plus without SPS I don't have to worry about adding calcium all the time
XR 30 at 5.jpg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Shon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y'all need the real future of lighting.

Free Electron Laser (FEL)​

A FEL is the fourth generation of synchrotron. It is a kind of laser using electrons accelerated up to the speed of light and then crossing a very long undulator (linear array made with magnets). Due to the alternation of polarities of the magnets, the electron path becomes sinusoidal. This effect produces an emission of radiation. FELs have a lot of common points with the synchrotrons: their emissions regions, their powers, their sizes, their complexities and their costs. Such lasers are tunable from microwave to X-Ray.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Y'all need the real future of lighting.

Free Electron Laser (FEL)​

A FEL is the fourth generation of synchrotron. It is a kind of laser using electrons accelerated up to the speed of light and then crossing a very long undulator (linear array made with magnets). Due to the alternation of polarities of the magnets, the electron path becomes sinusoidal. This effect produces an emission of radiation. FELs have a lot of common points with the synchrotrons: their emissions regions, their powers, their sizes, their complexities and their costs. Such lasers are tunable from microwave to X-Ray.
YES!!! LASER REEF!!!

Cat Internet GIF by TJ Fuller

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you this PAR is the ver rated. Coral react to luminous output, reason T5s and MH are still popular in reef and plant hobbies. T5s over MH due to the fact it’s harder to burn coral as well as over heating issues+electric bill.
I have HUE lights all through my house and when they automatically turn on I have them set to blues and purples and my coral react to those lights 100%. Then my tank lights come on two hours after. The coral are already out in full effect.
LED’s I’m not against but that PAR and needing certain lights to give your tank a certain look and growth is crap.
It’s about the lumens and spectrum.
I had nano leaf lights over a nano tank before and those coral were impressive looking with polyp extension

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first picture showing a queen angel that my wife bought me and didn't like any other fish except baby clown triggers so I would get a baby and when it grew up I would trade it for another. The second picture was a 29 gallon with one 96 watt power compact. I saw the baby clown trigger in my LFS and couldn't pass it up for $10 it came home with me. Since I love angels I had to set up a special tank for the Welsophyllia's. So one I moved into a 58 with CFL's, then later into a DSA water fall tank with one 250 watt MH Coral Vue Pendant. My kids and wife say I have spent too much money on my hobby the last 33 years, but for me it has been enjoyment.
58 2004.jpg

DSA Full (2).jpg
Lumens and kelvin temp ;)

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PAR and needing certain lights to give your tank a certain look and growth is crap.
It’s about the lumens and spectrum
Yeah, wow if only we had a way to measure Intensity and spectrum, and even better if it was only sensitive to what works for photosyntheses.

maybe even something that could take the combination of both at once and return an easy to read number.

Last edited:

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oil lamps are superior to candles. I used to grow beautiful SPS colonies back in the 1860's with those. The youngsters these days all want them new fangled electricity based lights
Just recently I've seen a video about the beginning of aquaristics in Germany. They were actually heating their tanks with candles and using a gravity driven top of containers for constant water changing and surface movement. All around 1870-1890.

Only in German though.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just recently I've seen a video about the beginning of aquaristics in Germany. They were actually heating their tanks with candles and using a gravity driven top of containers for constant water changing and surface movement. All around 1870-1890.

Only in German though.

Is this @Paul B 's tank??

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WAY o/t but i got curious as to the Samsung 301's.
Lists 90 cri. 3030 footprint

This is arguably "the best" of the lot. There are 3 bins and this is just one. Digikey does NOT guarantee binning.
Anyways any of the 3 would be good. Of course you need to reflow your own boards. Loose diodes only.
$70/500
samsunglm301b80cri1.JPG
samsunglm301b80cri1.JPG

samsung301b90cri2.JPG
samsung301b90cri2.JPG
I have heard of them already. When they got released, they first got popular a few years ago for, ehm... let's say growing spices indoors.
Meanwhile the majority of led lightbulbs are using them for incandescent substitutes, with inadequate cooling of course.
They usually have quite warm light temperatures so while useful for freshwater tanks I've never even considered them for reef tanks.

Last edited:

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, wow if only we had a way to measure Intensity and spectrum…

maybe even something that could take the sum of both at once and be easy to read number.
Be handy if that number only attempted to measure the Photosynthetically Useful Portions, PUP’s for short.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Only in German though.

Gotta love those old aquariums .

Screenshot_20231030-194535.png

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard of them already. When they got released, they got popular first a few years ago for, ehm... let's say growing spices indoors.
Meanwhile the majority of led lightbulbs are using them for incandescent substitutes, with inadequate cooling of course.
They usually have quite warm light temperatures so while useful for freshwater tanks I've never even considered them for reef tanks.
6500k sort of straddles the 2 schools ( pun intended) sw and fw.
6500k iwasakis was a warm bulb compared to what is used today. Had a ton of blue hidden by the "white",was driven hard as well. Par #s reflected this:
Ignore the depth fud.
Note all the royal blue in the led spectrum.

Point is 6500k was "considered" at one point
:)

Now "whites" are barely accent lighting and using the lowest color quality LEDs at that.

Btw found this funny ..
The 20,000 K light/lamp is more blue yet, and brings out all of the fluorescent pigments in many corals making for a very nice appearance. However the many tests and observations show that when used alone, except in tanks over 24 inches, the growth rate of SPS corals can be slowed or even come to a standstill with 20,000 K lamps.

Ahhh history.

Last edited:

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta love those old aquariums .

Screenshot_20231030-194535.png

Yes they are pretty cool, although I wouldn't trust 100 year old putty to hold any water anymore.
I also think this was a public tank. I can't imagine someone was able to privately afford something like this 100 years ago.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they are pretty cool, although I wouldn't trust 100 year old putty to hold any water anymore.
I also think this was a public tank. I can't imagine someone was able to privately afford something like this 100 years ago.
Robber barons.
Funny you mentioned the putty.
Look up metaframe refurbishing.
The " putty" is a nightmare.
Not sure anyone's figured what it's made of.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back