• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Please Stop Sending Payments as Gifts...

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand there are different view points about who should pay the 3% fee, this thread is not about that. I just want to remind people that if you send your money as a gift you do not have paypal protection, so don't do it.

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the article I posted the link to it actually said if you send/recieve payment as a gift you could lose your privilege to use the personal money part of paypal. I wonder if people actually read the terms or just do what they want to spite it, I hope that issue with the Bounce mushroom works out :(

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We are formulating an official stance on this! Stay tuned! :)

FX CharityCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it is unreasonable to ask a buyer to pay the fee. You can always negotiate it down. It makes it easy if you are local to the seller.

In the same way that the store tells you a price but still charges sales tax.

A store has to charge tax because it's the law. A seller asking a buyer to pay the 3% is 100% greedy plain and simple. It's the cost of doing business. All the rest of us have figured out how to work it into our pricing. I think R2R needs to take a stand and delete any threads asking for gifts or 3%.

Rev you beat me with your response

gacolt

JEEP STUFF
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's not greedy to ask someone to pay the 3% fee.
i myself will not use paypal and will only except certified check or money order and wait for it to clear before i ship the buyers product.

SeeingGreen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A store has to charge tax because it's the law. A seller asking a buyer to pay the 3% is 100% greedy plain and simple. It's the cost of doing business. All the rest of us have figured out how to work it into our pricing. I think R2R needs to take a stand and delete any threads asking for gifts or 3%.

Rev you beat me with your response

Ygpm

Bigchiefs1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well asking for a money order is worst then asking for PayPal gift. It is almost impossible to get your money back and a certified check is even worst. This is my two cents !!! Anyone that won't take PayPal KICK OFF THE FORUM. the only way someone won't take PayPal is if it's a scam. Sorry if that makes someone mad but COME ON!!!!!! Why and the h--- would you not take PayPal !!!!! Oh wait .... If you was trying to rip someone off. And on the 3% , come on guys figure out your prices with the 3% in it. I wouldn't send a PayPal gift to some of my closest friends im sure not going to send someone I don't know a PayPal gift.

There needs to be a rule .... The price you ask has to have any and all few included .

geckoejon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed.... don't send as a "gift". too many people get ripped off. why take the chance?

paypal clearly states in their policy that the "seller" is responsible for the 3% fee as well. sellers are breaking the rules asking for the 3% in addition.

i refuse to pay above the asking cost and only send for goods. people should follow the policies, of not sell on here, imo....

ontop27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see it as survival of the fittest. Dumb people will keep sending as gift and loosing their money while I laugh. Eventually they will stop buying stuff and more for me! ....harsh but true

BNUTTHEHUT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this policy just be for coral? There are some sponsers on here that ask buyers to pay the fees for acrylic tanks and sumps. Or even worse ask you to send a check.

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be universal, as it is against Paypal's terms and rules. It should never be asked of the buyer, no matter what site or product it is for.

metro6775

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a seller asks you to pay the fee then you have the option to not buy. If enough people decide not to buy then the seller will learn to either except the fee or incorporated it into the price of what they're selling.

I cannot believe anyone would send a paypal gift to someone they do not know. It is like some people are so hard up for some of these corals they lose their minds.

Last edited:

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sending gift is at the buyer's discretion. No one can force him/her to do it. As for PayPal fees, asking someone to pay it either in the price or additionally is not a taboo. i don't get how some people have the nerve to scrutinize sellers for not wanting pay the 3% fee. If I ask for a $100 then I want the exact $100 and not $97. I am pretty much am also paying the high shipping fees in which most retailers do not pay because their prices are at reduced rates due to mass monthly shipping. So for retailers bashing sellers for not wanting pay those fees is petty and distasteful. Just like what is $3 to the seller, what is $3 to the buyer; the same response can be flipped.

There are times i don't mind paying it and there are times I do like if I took the OBO from a buyer. Sometimes the buyer should do a courtesy deed and pay it. Who knows if the seller really needs that $3 or not for something urgent.

And for the people acting like the "rules police", you should check yourself because I am pretty sure you are breaking a law by not filing any gains via PayPal as earnings on your taxes.

Last edited:

RKLion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't send as a gift otherwise you lose any leverage you have after the shipper dosent ship properly. I have learned that the hard way ^ and will never send as a gift again.

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually checked on that, from what I found Paypal and eBay sales don't have to be reported to the IRS. But it was a few months ago so maybe tax laws have changed?? I think it was if you make a profit, then you report it. Since almost all sales are less than what you payed for, there is no profit and doesn't have to be reported. Again, tax laws may have changed.

Last edited:

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually checked on that, from what I found Paypal and eBay sales don't have to be reported to the IRS. But it was a few months ago so maybe tax laws have changed??
Every earned income has be reported. The matter of if it is taxable for that tax year is the question. If you get audited, and it is not reported you can get in big trouble.

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sending gift is at the buyer's discretion. No one can force him/her to do it. As for PayPal fees, asking someone to pay it either in the price or additionally is not a taboo. i don't get how some people have the nerve to scrutinize sellers for not wanting pay the 3% fee. If I ask for a $100 then I want the exact $100 and not $97. I am pretty much am also paying the high shipping fees in which most retailers do not pay because their prices are at reduced rates due to mass monthly shipping. So for retailers bashing sellers for not wanting pay those fees is petty and distasteful. Just like what is $3 to the seller, what is $3 to the buyer; the same response can be flipped.

There are times i don't mind paying it and there are times I do like if I took the OBO from a buyer. Sometimes the buyer should do a courtesy deed and pay it. Who knows if the seller really needs that $3 or not for something urgent.

And for the people acting like the "rules police", you should check yourself because I am pretty sure you are breaking a law by not filing any gains via PayPal as earnings on your taxes.
Pretty sure almost every seller on here has the buyer pay for shipping. Also youd have to ask each person here if they do/do not file the sales on their taxes. Lastly under paypal rules you have to pay the fee, you can not ask someone else to do it, so just sell it at $103.

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure almost every seller on here has the buyer pay for shipping
Shipped costs usually don't cover everything for shipping (ex. Box costs, packing peanuts, styrofoam and so on). So the seller tends to have to spend more of the earnings just to ship.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back