Putting the D back in DIY

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to say some things I am wondering if anyone else thinks but will not say. I am willing to shut up and leave everyone alone but I also want to take my shot. There is an extremely wonderful opportunity that we are a part of in this hobby. Two large groups of people, and then those who lie in the middle. I am none of that. I want to take what I have learned over the last 14 months, and take that information and provide it freely to anyone who wants to invest time, energy, and free time you spend scrolling Tik Tok to learn an extremely valuable skill that in April of 2024 is so very extremely powerful.

Group A is a group of people who will try and make a quick buck off of either new hobbyists, or people who spend money irresponsibly, or people who have a lot of money to spend and are ok with doing so. I am not here to judge anyone for what they do with their money. That is your business, what I do with my money is my business. This hobby is nasty about that. Over the 14 months the friends I have made, and the horror stories I have heard of one person placing trust in another person, sending them a ton of money, and then receiving nothing. There are all types of protections in place, when someone starts doing "A" , then people figure out "B" , and then "C" . Someone calling your grandmother, pretending they are you, and saying you've been arrested in Jamaica and need 2000 bail money but please dont tell anyone and hurry. That, but usually from buying items from behind your keyboard, comfortable in your home, de la pants. These I do not consider my friends.

Group B are people like Scott. who is literally my role model and what I try to make almost every decision in this hobby based off of what he would do. He lives 15 minutes from me, gave me thousands of dollars worth of coral, endless knowledge, all because i established early with him i had no desire to resell or profit off of anything he gave me. For 14 months it was wonderful and I had some awesome stuff, and you can do it too. I'll give you collateral to trade for it even.

I have simplified the process as much as I can , in hopes to push the needs of the reefing community and the knowledge of 3d printers closer together, without having to sort through people on Facebook with hand tattoos popping up out of nowhere saying " I can print whatever you need for a fee " . Nothing against a hand tattoo, I literally had my wife talk me out of getting M.A.T.H. tattooed on my knuckles the second year I was a math teacher. It is the general disgust I have for that way of doing business.

Phase 1 will be a ton of poorly saved .stl files that you may have seen on Cults. It is now free, and there is stuff I need to get out from May of 2023, and its saved in my language which only aliens understand. The middle phase hopefully will be a group of people, generally interested in what a 3d printer can do for a reefer on a budget, and the end phase, waaaaaaaaay down the line will be a controlled, fair, upfront, maker controlled, tested, free to the public so everyone can help continue to further this hobby, we can do it without greed, if you start to feel greedy, circle back here and remember I will always be there to try and put something as close to whatever it is you're trying to charge an arm and a leg for, it will be on thingiverse for free. but not before the community, as a whole, has perfected enough items that we decide its fair to take a 23 spool of quality plastic, add our love to it, and magnets if you want, and then sell it to you for a fair price. I don't want to do the selling I am tiiiiiiiiiired. If you need something, I will personally make it and then put it for free. I do not want anything, other than just dont print and sell them online, facebook, anywhere. Give them away. Use the prints as collateral to trade with Scott. It will never be any more difficult than that, that is all. Let me know if there is something you need for your reef tank that will fit within an 8x8x12" area. I use PETG. I use 4 Ender 3 V3 KE printers, one of them being from January of this year, it has not turned off, or stopped printing since then. I have the extra nozzle it came with, and still waiting for prints to come out anything other than absolutely perfect. I do not get any money from any company. Rest assured, no links in any descriptions, no pop ups, just someone who has been through a lot of plastic and has unfiltered opinions that you can look at what I can make, physically, and decide whether or not you want to take my advice. Big, small, threads, snap fit, twist fit, i will see your idea and raise you a creative Office reference and we will go from there. If I am not available to help, someone with a 3d printer, problem solving skills, no greed, hand tattoos optional, and a promise that the file will be available for anyone to download, and recommend how to improve will surely help you if I can spread the cheer.

Almost done, I literally do not know how to edit a file after it has been exported. I can send Fusion 360 files ? I think ? , but there is surely a way where I would be able to apply certain actions to an object and then send it elsewhere to have it be continued.

Remember , we are all friends, and if you have anything mean to say, I will nicely answer you as if you are recommending something (if noone runs with it , I will) to make better and if you keep being mean than you will be ignored and your .stl file will be free for download soon after. If you have advice, I AM NOT AN EXPERT. I do not claim to be. I will gladly share, hand off, and give 100% full reigns to anyone who would like to step in and provide expert-level advice on literally any subject being talked about. Please do it without first going "ahem" and I think we all know what that means.

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its not like i cant go down the road right now and surprise her , shes done with work in 4 hours. it was going to be such a bad decision too, ill never forgive myself
Oh halloween you can smudge the a to an e and go as walter white

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back