DIY colored dry rock?

joshua1316

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow aquarists,

I'm currently in the planning stages of setting up my saltwater aquarium, and I'm eager to transform my dry rock into something resembling live rock. While researching online, I've come across various methods, such as using plumbers primer to achieve a purple coloration and allowing it to dry out for several days. Yes i know i can just buy live rock or already colored rock but that's not the point. im looking into a cheap way for people to save some money but do it safely.

Before proceeding with any method, I wanted to tap into the collective wisdom of this community. Are there any methods or techniques that you've personally used or heard of to simulate the appearance and functionality of live rock? Whether it's altering the color, texture, or enhancing its biological properties, I'm open to exploring different approaches.

Your insights and experiences would be invaluable in helping me make an informed decision. Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge!

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many reefers consider painted rock to be less than desirable. Your primer solution will work. You may also want to consider using coralline algae. Or have the corals on your rock be the highlight. Good luck

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
There is a vendor in Florida called Addictive Reef Keeping ( ARK) that sells different dyes that he uses for coloring dry rock. He can be found on ebay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back